Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

I’d think we’d stay the same. I’m hoping. I’m a little worried but I don’t see anyone hopping over us. We had a pretty big vote lead over everyone beneath us. I fear people won’t understand the magnitude of winning both this past week but I also don’t really think we should move in front of anyone. If only ISU lost to I-state or Iowa lost to Rutgers.. damn that state this week

On 2/15/2019 at 5:14 PM, squire17 said:

Bilas has us in his group that can make it to the Final 4! That would be terrific. Go Bulls, but tie your camel.

But half of the poll voters won't even rate us after a big Q1 win at Toledo. Bilas is great but the rest of the media are over Buffalo. We could go unbeaten through the MACC and we still might get voted out of the Top 25.

36 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Lost 6 votes this week despite winning 2 on the road (one being Q1). We've got some work to do to get voters to fall in love with us again.

...and we'll need some help with losses by teams around us.

It  goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway. Take care of our business and then no need to worry about anyone else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

But half of the poll voters won't even rate us after a big Q1 win at Toledo. Bilas is great but the rest of the media are over Buffalo. We could go unbeaten through the MACC and we still might get voted out of the Top 25.

I kinda like the media being over us. Voters disrespecting us. So on. Let that fuel our fire. I’m happy as an underdog. 

As much fun as the ranking has been it’s also been like a weight on our shoulders. Hopefully now that the spotlight is fading we can focus on the fact that the number 1 seed for the MAC tourney is still up for grabs. And we have to keep growing and winning.

• Like 1

Opportunities

#24 Maryland goes to #21 Iowa
#21 Iowa also hosts 'why aren't they better' Indiana
#20 Virginia Tech hosts #3 Virginia
#19 Iowa State hosts Baylor and goes to TCU
#18 Louisville goest to Syracuse and hosts #3 Virginia
#17 Villanova goes to Georgetown and Xavier
#16 FSU goes to Clemson and #8 UNC
#15 Purdue at 'why aren't they better' Indiana
#14 Texas Tech vs #12 Kansas
#13 LSU vs Florida and #5 Tennessee

Cuse just got destroyed by NC State but is still strongly a 8-10 seed. I assume if they beat Louisville and Duke this week they'll be #25 next week. I hate it, but it's good for us.

WVU could do us a solid by beating #23 K State today.

While I agree the ranking had added pressure and lots of lackadaisical play, I still love it. We need to learn how to keep going while ranked. I don’t want us dropping out, I want us to learn how to deal with all the pressure and become a better program. Glad we are still ranked although it was kinda expected that there would be no movement with all the other games. Lots of interesting games to potentially help us in the rankings this week starting with 3 big ones tonight. Then let’s just take care of business at home. Go bulls 

UB fell victim to the repuation or lack thereof of the MAC this week.  Toledo was a Q1 win on the road that will help in the NET and with tournament seeding but not much with AP voters because...well...Toledo doesn't SOUND like a good win unless you follow mid-majors which most voters don't. Rename Toledo, Indiana (a team 1 behind Toledo in the NET) and the Bulls jump a couple spots.  That's life as a mid-major in conference play.  Wofford and Cinci are gaining votes on UB.  They'll need to get a couple wins but larger margins (20+ this week) in order to keep staving them off IMO.  

• Like 1

I'm gonna jump way ahead and am most concerned that no matter what we do we will be an 8 or 9 and have to play a 1 seed in the second game. I know that's looking waaaaayyyyy ahead but I already dont see us better than a #8. I just really want to make the sweet 16 and have that game with a chance at the Elite 8. 

21 minutes ago, pottier25 said:

I'm gonna jump way ahead and am most concerned that no matter what we do we will be an 8 or 9 and have to play a 1 seed in the second game. I know that's looking waaaaayyyyy ahead but I already dont see us better than a #8. I just really want to make the sweet 16 and have that game with a chance at the Elite 8. 

We're not an 8 or 9 seed if we win out, no way.  With 31-3 record at the time, we'd have to be ranked top 20 in all rankings.

3 hours ago, UBigbobby said:

UB fell victim to the repuation or lack thereof of the MAC this week.  Toledo was a Q1 win on the road that will help in the NET and with tournament seeding but not much with AP voters because...well...Toledo doesn't SOUND like a good win unless you follow mid-majors which most voters don't. Rename Toledo, Indiana (a team 1 behind Toledo in the NET) and the Bulls jump a couple spots.  That's life as a mid-major in conference play.  Wofford and Cinci are gaining votes on UB.  They'll need to get a couple wins but larger margins (20+ this week) in order to keep staving them off IMO.  

Do agree. The Ap voters are really only looking at the bigger conferences and the bigger named teams. The high mid majors like UB to a large degree will be an after thought. All we can control is how we play and just keep winning and worry about March and seedings when the time comes. Go Bulls!!!!!

Well West Virginia and Illinois couldn’t pull an upset so 22 and 23 are safe for for now unfortunately. 20 VT lost to 3 UVA at home so maybe we get lucky and they lose to ND on the road Saturday. That would likely knock them back past us. 24 plays 21 tomorrow with 24 being on the road. Lots of action still this week. Keep our fingers crossed and do what we gotta do to crush Ohio tomorrow

3 hours ago, John said:

Do agree. The Ap voters are really only looking at the bigger conferences and the bigger named teams. The high mid majors like UB to a large degree will be an after thought. All we can control is how we play and just keep winning and worry about March and seedings when the time comes. Go Bulls!!!!!

Being thousands of miles away, I noticed a big shift between being sub 15 ranked, sub 20 ranked and now 21-25.

Sub 15 - Even the local guys were talking about Buffalo in their shows, we'd be in the highlight package with the top few games of the day. So it's Duke wins, Michigan wins, UB wins....

16-20 - We'd get our score on the ESPN radio rundown, still get a short highlight and score on ESPN 

21-25 - No mention on the radio or on ESPN highlights. BUT Still flashing on that bottom line!

26+ No mention ever.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

Being thousands of miles away, I noticed a big shift between being sub 15 ranked, sub 20 ranked and now 21-25.

Sub 15 - Even the local guys were talking about Buffalo in their shows, we'd be in the highlight package with the top few games of the day. So it's Duke wins, Michigan wins, UB wins....

16-20 - We'd get our score on the ESPN radio rundown, still get a short highlight and score on ESPN 

21-25 - No mention on the radio or on ESPN highlights. BUT Still flashing on that bottom line!

26+ No mention ever.

Which I think is a bad omen if we need an at-large bid. We're no longer Cinderella.

Edited by promotherobot

If our NET ends up below 20, we are probably going to be in fine shape.

We need to keep winning.  That gaudy record, plus some high profile wins and all of the love from the media will help seeding, in my opinion.

It is good we are still in the top-25 for the reasons mentioned. 

Well tonight’s win is just what we needed to do and then some. Let’s take care of Kent Friday. 24 Maryland wins by 1 at 21 Iowa. I was thinking we wanted maryland to lose since they are right above us but a home loss for Iowa could potentially be beneficial for us too. Maybe they can lose their other home game of the week in which case we’d def leap over them IMO. Now let’s go Baylor