Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

10 hours ago, weareub46 said:

Well tonight’s win is just what we needed to do and then some. Let’s take care of Kent Friday. 24 Maryland wins by 1 at 21 Iowa. I was thinking we wanted maryland to lose since they are right above us but a home loss for Iowa could potentially be beneficial for us too. Maybe they can lose their other home game of the week in which case we’d def leap over them IMO. Now let’s go Baylor

Well, the voters will assume the MAC is overrated if UB keeps pounding teams. 

51 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Well, the voters will assume the MAC is overrated if UB keeps pounding teams. 

I’m not a conspiracy theorist by nature, but at this time of year I always wonder when so many hapless teams from the P5 and BE start to get wins against their more formidable conference opponents. The financial incentive is there: the more teams that go to the tourney, the more moola we get to split. Buffalo annihilates Ohio? That’s because Buffalo was home and Ohio’s horrible. Indiana beats Minnesota at home? Minnesota doesn’t fall that much, if any at all. But hey, look at the Hoosiers! Making a run! It’s sickening.

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

UB moves up to 21 in NET ranking but Toledo fell 9 spots to 65, we need them to win a couple to remain a Q1 win

I believe once you play the game it remains in the quad. What I mean is the Toledo win on the road is a quad 1 win regardless of toledo falls in the net. Our record versus Q1 teams is 2-1 regardless what happens to those teams after we’ve played them. Same thing if BG were to become a Q1 team our loss to them won’t be a Q1 loss.

4 hours ago, squire17 said:

I’m not a conspiracy theorist by nature, but at this time of year I always wonder when so many hapless teams from the P5 and BE start to get wins against their more formidable conference opponents. The financial incentive is there: the more teams that go to the tourney, the more moola we get to split. Buffalo annihilates Ohio? That’s because Buffalo was home and Ohio’s horrible. Indiana beats Minnesota at home? Minnesota doesn’t fall that much, if any at all. But hey, look at the Hoosiers! Making a run! It’s sickening.

The Hoosiers are off the bubble per ESPN after their loss last night.

36 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I believe once you play the game it remains in the quad. What I mean is the Toledo win on the road is a quad 1 win regardless of toledo falls in the net. Our record versus Q1 teams is 2-1 regardless what happens to those teams after we’ve played them. Same thing if BG were to become a Q1 team our loss to them won’t be a Q1 loss.

I disagree, otherwise the WVU game wouldve been quad 1. Also San Fran wouldve been close at the time also. It would be to our benefit probably if your statement was true.

23 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I disagree, otherwise the WVU game wouldve been quad 1. Also San Fran wouldve been close at the time also. It would be to our benefit probably if your statement was true.

The WVU was the first week of the season and I don’t think the first net rankings were out yet. I believe the net needed a few weeks before the first rankings came out. 

The San Fran game was on a neutral court so they would’ve had to be ranked 1-50 to be a Quad 1.

On 2/18/2019 at 6:28 PM, bull_trojan said:

Being thousands of miles away, I noticed a big shift between being sub 15 ranked, sub 20 ranked and now 21-25.

Sub 15 - Even the local guys were talking about Buffalo in their shows, we'd be in the highlight package with the top few games of the day. So it's Duke wins, Michigan wins, UB wins....

16-20 - We'd get our score on the ESPN radio rundown, still get a short highlight and score on ESPN 

21-25 - No mention on the radio or on ESPN highlights. BUT Still flashing on that bottom line!

26+ No mention ever.

True to form I didn't catch a UB mention on the "late" sportscenter. I did get a Bowling Green highlight. I can't say I was completely locked in for the full episode so I may be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Everything looking great for us right now...

I'm rooting:

Rutgers over Michigan state (ranked ahead of us) Not looking great anymore Ruthers up 7 at the half, now down 12 with 6 remaining.
Georgetown over Nova (ranked ahead of us) Gtown up 13 with 8 to go.
Florida over LSU (ranked ahead of us) Florida up 2 with 16 to go
Cuse (quality win) over L'ville (ranked ahead of us) Cuse up 8 with 18 to go
Duke (transitive q-win) over UNC (ranked ahead of us)
Marquette (quality loss) over Butler
SDSU over Nevada (ranked ahead of us)

Edited by bull_trojan

1 hour ago, bull_trojan said:

Everything looking great for us right now...

I'm rooting:

Rutgers over Michigan state (ranked ahead of us) Lost by 11.
Georgetown over Nova (ranked ahead of us) Nova 3rd loss in 4 games I think we leap them.
Florida over LSU (ranked ahead of us) LSU gonna lose at home to unranked Fla, unless FLA collapses. We'll really see how will the rankings punish a home loss to a UNR team
Cuse (quality win) over L'ville (ranked ahead of us) Cuse destroys Louisville, we have to leap Loiusville too right?
Duke (transitive q-win) over UNC (ranked ahead of us) 
Marquette (quality loss) over Butler
SDSU over Nevada (ranked ahead of us)

It's gotta be nice,  to be a P5 team. Florida is 14-11 (6-6) they'll get a "big win" over #13 on the road, despite LSU being really over-rated. Now Florida goes from bubble to solidly in. at 15-11 (7-6) and probably a 9 seed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

It's gotta be nice,  to be a P5 team. Florida is 14-11 (6-6) they'll get a "big win" over #13 on the road, despite LSU being really over-rated. Now Florida goes from bubble to solidly in. at 15-11 (7-6) and probably a 9 seed.

Exasperating really. Weaker P5 get many opportunities to play ranked teams. Get an upset in February and just like that — in the discussion for an at-large berth in the NCAA.

#6 Nevada just lost to unranked San Diego State in the Mountain West. I wonder how much the pollsters will punish them for that on Monday. Their other loss was to 11-15 UNM, which has to be as bad as the UB loss to NIU. Nevada got a 6 point win over (then #20) Arizona State back in December, but otherwise nothing particularly noteworthy OOC.

Yea the p5 preference is terrible but we can only do what we can do. Was a great night for us all around. Syracuse is huge even though it’s tough rooting for them and although I hope zions injury isn’t too serious since injuries are never good, it def improves Syracuse’s chances to sweep duke later this week. That would still be a win over #1 again and we beat them in the dome. If that happens I wouldn’t be surprised if Syracuse is ranked again next week which is frustrating but great for our resume. 

Nevada is a great team and should be ranked no doubt but are severely overrated. I would think they drop out of the top 10 hopefully putting Marquette back in which is good. Great night. 

Edited by weareub46

Not to malign another non P5 team in the top 25, but looking at resumes is there any justification for Nevada to be above us?

Buffalo is higher in the NET, higher in the RPI, has 3 Q1 wins to Nevada’s zero, has a much better SOS (76 to 139), slightly worse average NET win (155 to 158), and much better average NET loss (89 to  153). Yeah UB has one more loss but has played 4 more Q1 games. 

There’s room for both teams in the top 25, but if I were ranking the two based on blind resumes it would feel silly to pick Nevada’s over Buffalo. 

The complaining is admittedly premature but unless Nevada losses again I don’t expect them to end up below us when the rankings come out next Monday.

Edited by BasketBull

58 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

Not to malign another non P5 team in the top 25, but looking at resumes is there any justification for Nevada to be above us?

Buffalo is higher in the NET, higher in the RPI, has 3 Q1 wins to Nevada’s zero, has a much better SOS (76 to 139), slightly worse average NET win (155 to 158), and much better average NET loss (89 to  153). Yeah UB has one more loss but has played 4 more Q1 games. 

There’s room for both teams in the top 25, but if I were ranking the two based on blind resumes it would feel silly to pick Nevada’s over Buffalo. 

The complaining is admittedly premature but unless Nevada losses again I don’t expect them to end up below us when the rankings come out next Monday.

I totally agree and I have seen this elsewhere that people are saying Nevada is overrated. No great wins and their first loss was an atrocious one. Losing at SDSU isn't as bad. I think they have a great team but the only reason they are so high is their record. Now with another loss you'd think they would drop a good amount.