Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

Idk where osterman had us last week and I know it’s nothing new to us but it would just be frustrating if buffalo moved down 11 spots for a 2 point loss on the road against a Q2 team while Nevada stays in the top 10 after their abomination of a loss. I guess we’ll find out soon enough though. Had to get it off my chest 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

18 it is!

We were a Purdue upset of #6 away from being 17, voters showing real respect for this team.

That’s an insane jump for Purdue. Too much if you ask me but they should be ranked. MSU not moving is a joke. Love Marquette in the top 10! Still think Nevada is overrated. They moved down 1 but I don’t think they are top 10. The rest I can live with haha

The fact that we didn't drop out of the top 20 is pretty big and keeps us nationally relevant (not another "oh that was a nice run by a mid major").  I was kinda shocked we didn't fall to like 22 or so.  But that shows that the voters respect the MAC (this season) and how difficult it is to win on the road during conference play.  Also shows that the voters have given us the benefit of the doubt, at least for now.  This all doesn't mean we can afford many more conference losses though.  And a loss at home would be devastating to the ranking. Given all that lets keep growing and building...we want to peak in March not on January 28th. Go Bulls!

1 hour ago, weareub46 said:

That’s an insane jump for Purdue. Too much if you ask me but they should be ranked. MSU not moving is a joke. Love Marquette in the top 10! Still think Nevada is overrated. They moved down 1 but I don’t think they are top 10. The rest I can live with haha

Nevada and Buffalo I'd put in the same category...we've got big wins over some (old) big east powers which is impressive enough to get voters on our side but not objectively impressive. Nevada has big wins vs the top of the PAC 12, but the PAC 12 is awful. Not our fault or Nevada's fault that Cuse/WVU/USC/ASU/Utah keep failing.

That 6 point win vs Akron in Reno however, might have shown the nation that MAC-Conference play isn't a cake walk. Nevada has won their home MWC games by an average of 29 points, but their home game vs a mid-tier MAC program was only a 6 point win...so the MAC needs to get more credit.

• Like 2

Agree completely that UB and Nevada are in the same situation.  Nevada has been putting up huge margins of victory lately and UB has not, rankings are fair-ish.  Going forward UB is not in an impossible spot in regard to maintaining or rising in the ranks, but the wins need to be more comfortable going forward.  Margin matters.

If we won our next 5 games (2 solid road wins + akron on the road and 2 solid home wins) by a minimum of 10 pts I think we could get back in the top 15, outside of that I don't see us getting much further than that without a lot of help (P5 losses).

And let's be honest, 5-0 over the next 5 would be an impressive run. Can we do it? Absolutely.

Will we?

10 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

Agree completely that UB and Nevada are in the same situation.  Nevada has been putting up huge margins of victory lately and UB has not, rankings are fair-ish.  Going forward UB is not in an impossible spot in regard to maintaining or rising in the ranks, but the wins need to be more comfortable going forward.  Margin matters.

Oats said on the radio this morning that the ranking is great for the publicity of the program and a great reward for the kids and how hard they work.  He also said that he worries more about the metrics rather than the ranking.  To echo what you said, Oats said he wants the efficiency numbers to be better. So margin of victory will be important. 

And I agree that the MAC has been tougher competition than what Nevada has faced in conference.  But I do think Nevada is real good.

Was thinking we'd drop in the 20's as well. Team has the national respect which I love. Don't sleep on the importance of that 9 pt Kent win. People know their name, see on the road, and Kents record is good by the numbers. Helped balance things. I think if our only game was the NIU loss things might have been perceived a touch different.

18/17 very happy with that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, weareub46 said:

So are you guys saying that Nevada should be ranked somewhere near us? I’d say a loss to a now 10th ranked @marquette and a 2 pt loss to a Q2 @NIU team at the buzzer is way better than one terrible loss by 27 to a UNM who has a record of 8-7...

I’ve watched Nevada play. They are better than UB.  We have 5 seniors and would have the look of freshmen in comparison.  They remind me of the FSU team from a few years back that had the 30 yr old military guy on their team. (Obviously exaggerating a little)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

I’ve watched Nevada play. They are better than UB.  We have 5 seniors and would have the look of freshmen in comparison.  They remind me of the FSU team from a few years back that had the 30 yr old military guy on their team. (Obviously exaggerating a little)

I think we matchup really well, and it kinda depends on 2 things:

Can Harris and Massinburg out score the Martin twins. We're better shooters, their better at creating their shot, so it would be their movement vs our 3 ball.

Can Perk dominate their big man. They have a Mini Perk at 6'8 225 that does a lot of damage especially with the attention given to the twins, but our Perk is 6'8 250, and we dont need center help in the key because of our length across the lineup so...that should be advantage Buffalo, but Nevada's big is a better leaper than Perk (like Theo John who just devastated us in Milwaukee) so that would be my 2nd key matchup.

I'd love to see this on the 2nd weekend of the tourney.

1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

#23 NC State just lost and scored 24 points. Other games to keep an eye on today:

-#20 Iowa St. hosting unranked Texas

-#22 Mississippi St. at unranked Ole Miss

-#19 LSU hosting unranked Arkansas

Here’s an interesting question: Do we want teams ranked in the teens and 20s to lose to unranked bubble teams?

Example: If Texas were to beat Iowa St right now, that would strengthen Teaxs at large resume and potentially weaken our at large case. But it would drop Iowa St in the rankings and keep us potentially ranked. Same with Miss  St and Ole Miss. So my fellow board members...going forward which do we want?