Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

22 hours ago, UB85 said:

Their two best players, both front court players, are out with injuries. We should win easily if they don't return in time for our game. But is they do, the game will be much more difficult than their net ranking would suggest.

Yeah, yeah... I hear from the Bona fans that they have four players out with injury.  That doesn't matter.

The Bulls have to blow them out.  They have to.  Not only because it will give us bragging rights and then maybe everyone in Buffalo will stop cheering for Bonas instead of the Bulls but if we don't blow them out it will really hurt the chance of an at-large bid.

You have to blow out teams that are sub-300 and Bonas is sub-300.  A close game is as good as a loss. 

24 minutes ago, Buffalobonnie said:

Hi guys.  Glad to see we are on your mind  You might just get that 3rd ever win against us, but I would come ready to play.  Glad there will be a good crowd for the game.  

Good game against Canisius last night. Looks like you are finding the footing. Rather your team be really good when we play you than really bad. I wish you coming success for the next weeks and months... except on December 8th! 

Hoping for a good game!

5 hours ago, Buffalobonnie said:

Hi guys.  Glad to see we are on your mind  You might just get that 3rd ever win against us, but I would come ready to play.  Glad there will be a good crowd for the game.  

No coincidence you showed after Bonas won one, finally. Good to see Stockard back. He is a helluva player and as Bonas' awful play before last night shows he is an irreplaceable part of the team. Nothing worse than losing games your senior year because of injury. I checked the Griffs' score in the second half and it seemed as though they wouldn't get out the 30s. Are the Griffs that bad or did they just have an off night?

5 hours ago, Buffalobonnie said:

That's the funny thing about NCAA basketball you will want to kill us on the 8th, but then will root like crazy for us the rest of the year.  Our win over you guys definitely helped us get the at-large bid. 

Same was said about Cuse last year and how their win against us strengthened their resume.  Which is why we should want all our opponents to win, especially in the non conference.  Its all about the metrics in case we slip up during MAC play/MAC tournament. 

11 minutes ago, Buffalobonnie said:

We will try to survive!  You must not think UB has much of a chance at an at large if things don’t go the right way in the MAC tourney. 

I don't like to depend on other teams but more importantly I don't like your team or the majority of your fanbase  😛

• Like 2

Growing up in Buffalo I always rooted for the local teams when they were going on tournament runs. Bona, NU, Can even SYR. UB was always tops... but Id say just years of playing them all and seeing their fanbases your local support interest erodes a bit unfortunately. When it comes NCAA tournament time and they are in Ill still support them as a Buffalo/local school but definitely no love for their fanbase.

Although my girlfriend went to Bona and UB (law school), she roots a bit more for Bona simply because her student loans owed to UB are much greater :classic_rolleyes:

On 11/26/2018 at 9:43 PM, ubmae86 said:

I mean, technically it has to, no?

It would probably translate into an 8 or 9. But being ranked doesn't mean jack shit. UB's gotta spit Cuse and Marquette, and probably go at least 16-2 in conference play, lose in the MAC championship to have any at-large chance. Even at that, no

On 11/26/2018 at 10:08 PM, BasketBull said:

St Mary’s was 25th in the final AP poll before the tournament last year. They had been in the top 25 for 7 consecutive weeks. As a 2 seed in the WCC tournament they lost to 3 seed BYU in the semi-finals. They wound up 28-5 and out of the NCAA field.

. As stated above, St. Mary's probably should have been a first 4 in at least. But, that was last year, new NET ranking system could change things. But, Oats and the Bulls still should fight and grind for a MAC championship.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:59 AM, Buffalobonnie said:

That's the funny thing about NCAA basketball you will want to kill us on the 8th, but then will root like crazy for us the rest of the year.  Our win over you guys definitely helped us get the at-large bid. 

I will never root for the Bonnies. I'll even root for Niagara or Canisus, but never Bonnies. No offense to you, however. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 3:21 PM, mikescherrer8 said:

Even with Stockard in the lineup, they are still going to struggle mightily. LaDarien Griffin is their leader and a guy who they depend on to take command on both sides of the ball. 

Griffin apparently to return in early December, so, we may see him back. 

And honestly, I want the Bonnies as healthy as possible so those rotten fans of theirs don't have any excuses to make.

What scares me about Syracuse is their zone and our poor 3 point shooting of late. Unless we can improve our 3 point shooting, this game will be almost impossible to win at their house.

On 11/29/2018 at 4:15 PM, UB85 said:

No coincidence you showed after Bonas won one, finally. Good to see Stockard back. He is a helluva player and as Bonas' awful play before last night shows he is an irreplaceable part of the team. Nothing worse than losing games your senior year because of injury. I checked the Griffs' score in the second half and it seemed as though they wouldn't get out the 30s. Are the Griffs that bad or did they just have an off night?

The Griffs lost Crumpton and Planincic their two big men and rebounders and they have no front court strength at all in both rebounding and scoring. Reese is having a very bad year as for as scoring. So if Molson and Reese are not scoring they are in big trouble..

Not to break up the Bonnie hate because I’m all for it...but going back to the original point of the thread I’m thinking maybeee 18 but prob 19 on Monday. Bummer Texas tech pulled it out in the end. Would’ve been helpful. As I type this though Houston is up on 18 Oregon 33-13 in the first half. Anything can happen but it’s been dominant thus far. Houston is 5-0 currently and if they win will likely be ranked but I’ll take it

4 hours ago, squire17 said:

What scares me about Syracuse is their zone and our poor 3 point shooting of late. Unless we can improve our 3 point shooting, this game will be almost impossible to win at their house.

Whoops...sentiments re Syracuse still hold. But Bona will be a tough one regardless. Has UB ever won there? They’ll have to bring their A game.

5 hours ago, squire17 said:

Syracuse struggled with Cornell tonight. They can be had. It’ll be a tough one regardless. 

Edited by UB85

1 hour ago, weareub46 said:

Not to break up the Bonnie hate because I’m all for it...but going back to the original point of the thread I’m thinking maybeee 18 but prob 19 on Monday. Bummer Texas tech pulled it out in the end. Would’ve been helpful. As I type this though Houston is up on 18 Oregon 33-13 in the first half. Anything can happen but it’s been dominant thus far. Houston is 5-0 currently and if they win will likely be ranked but I’ll take it

Caught the last couple mins of this one, Houston heald on

• Like 1

I love college basketball and I love it even more now that top 25 games have implications for UB. Let me tell you: this week was great for UB. Games of interest:

# 11 UNC went 0-1 this week - lost to #7 Michigan - Michigan is great so I don't expect them to be hurt too much by the loss, they'll stay above UB.

# 12 Kansas State went 0-1 this week - lost to Marquette - despite their loss I expect them to stay above UB in the top 25. 

# 13 Virginia Tech went 1-1 this week - lost at Penn State and crushed Donyell Marshall's CCSU. May drop below Buffalo but no guarantee. 

#14 Iowa went 1-1 this week - won vs Pittsburgh and lost to Wisconsin - probably will drop below Buffalo but no guarantee.

# 15 Florida State went 1-0 this week - winning against Purdue. They should rise to #12 or so. 

# 16 Ohio State went 0-1 this week - loss to Syracuse - they probably will drop below Buffalo

# 17 Texas went 0-2 this week - losses to Radford and #11 MSU - they will almost definitely drop from the top 25.

# 18 Oregon went 0-2 this week - losses to Texas Southern and Houston - they will absolutely drop from the top 25.

# 19 Purdue went 0-2 this week - losses to # 15 FSU and # 7 Michigan - good teams but at 5-3 they don't belong in the top 25.

# 20 Texas Tech went 1-0 this week - beat Memphis - Texas Tech should rise, I'll say they end up at # 14

Teams below UB that I could see leap-frogging UB in the poll: Wisconsin (definitely will), Villanova (probably will even though they only beat a winless team in La Salle), Maryland (lost to a great Virginia team, beat a good PSU team - Purdue rose above us with a worse week so I expect them to as well)

So I have UB rising at least two spots to 19, could be as high as 16 or 17 if voters punish Iowa and Virginia Tech. Could go as high as 13 or 14 if everything went their way but that's a long shot.