Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ranking Status/Predictions

hurley

2 hours ago, ubmae86 said:

I mean, a 2 spot jump is pretty good, but I am still confused how Nevada still ended up above us. They just proved that against quad 1 teams, they can't win.

All the polls can be confusing. On our site someone posted the NET rankings and the criteria used in making the ranking. But when the selection committee makes their picks you still are left to wonder if they will still favor the power conferences and conferences that are more nationally know??? It is still pretty confusing but with UB in the mix it is still exciting and keeps the interest of all our fans. On ranking of conferences the BPI has the Mt. West with Nevada #8 and the MAC #15. Thr RPI has the MAC #9 and the MT West #15. The NET rankings have Wofford #14 UB #15 Nevada #23 Arizona St #68 and Indiana #55 just to name a few. The only reason I mention Indiana is some sports media types have them possibly in the NCAA’s and they are like 6-12 in the Big10 with not a very good overall record. Another sports show had a discussion about the mid majors and the higher conferences and the point came up again that some of the mid majors with really good overall records in out of conference and in conference should not be picked over the teams in the big conferences even if they have a bad record just because the mid majors have not played a top schedule!!! The committee and a lot of the sports media types just want to see the big time teams and conferences and really do not care about the mid majors. The bias is alive and well and not sure it is ever going to change. The whole process is still very confusing and exasperating to the average fans like us that root for mid major teams that might not get rewarded. Still a fun time for us UB supporters. Go Bulls!!!!

• Thanks 1

Why play a game you might lose?  As a fan of a mid major, I too cry foul.  But if your in a power conference, why would you give this opportunity to any teams?  You can fall back on the argument ‘who did they play? Haha not us! Who did they beat?  Double haha, not us!’  I started a thread a while back saying until the NCAA takes over a part the OOC schedule, every non P5 conference will eventually be a 1 bid conference.  (Hell, once they get there, it will be a great reason to end auto bids all together.)  ...I got shot down pretty quick.  Apparently some think UB joining the B1G is more likely then the NCAA taking scheduling control over 5 games!  Maybe as the BE slowly turns into a one bid league things may change?  Already happening to the A10 and no one seems to mind. much of these conversations are pointless, and just the starving kids at the table punching themselves while the fat kids eat in peace.  Maybe UB will make the college football playoffs next year!  Technically that can happen! Right? (No it can’t)

Edited by MillenniumBull
I spelled shot, shoot. It looked dumb.

3 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

Why play a game you might lose?  As a fan of a mid major, I too cry foul.  But if your in a power conference, why would you give this opportunity to any teams?  You can fall back on the argument ‘who did they play? Haha not us! Who did they beat?  Double haha, not us!’  I started a thread a while back saying until the NCAA takes over a part the OOC schedule, every non P5 conference will eventually be a 1 bid conference.  (Hell, once they get there, it will be a great reason to end auto bids all together.)  ...I got shoot down pretty quick.  Apparently some think UB joining the B1G is more likely then the NCAA taking scheduling control over 5 games!  Maybe as the BE slowly turns into a one bid league things may change?  Already happening to the A10 and no one seems to mind. much of these conversations are pointless, and just the starving kids at the table punching themselves while the fat kids eat in peace.  Maybe UB will make the college football playoffs next year!  Technically that can happen! Right? (No it can’t)

You are right about so many points. Until some big time power moguls want to change the status of all the power and big time conferences and let a lot of the lower conferences have more seats at the NCAA table nothing will ever change. It would have to take a revolt from the average fan screaming to the high heaven for anything to change. All these decisions are made with one thing in mind “money” and to hell with fairness. Do agree it is probably pointless but sometimes the average fans like us have to let off some steam.Our family really does not much of the the power conferences and for that matter the Sabres and Bills anymore for a variety of reasons. We are proud supporters of UB and that will never change. Go Bulls!!!!!

The selection committee is always gonna favor major teams. Which is why as inconsistent as they are Indiana will get in. Texas will get in. St. Johns will get in. They are supposed to use all the metrics in their decision making and not just lean on one. Thing is I think they don’t actually watch teams and games throughout the season. They lean too much on numbers that can be manipulated to support any argument.

Relating this to us...currently I think we are safely in. And that we are playing for seeding at this point. I feel like somehow we are still gonna be seeded a seed or 2 too low though. Our non conference slate took a big hit when WVU ish the bed all year. And it wouldn’t shock me that we got penalized for that and not blowing teams out during conference play, like stupid Wofford has done.

Relating this all to us in the future...the model is there. Oats has done a great job of scheduling in the non conference. We know teams won’t go to us so let’s go to them. Then schedule cupcakes at home. Put a non conference tourney in there and we should have good metrics. Then on great years dominate the MAC. In down years still be in contention to secure the auto bid.

The beauty of playing in a mid major conference is that we always have the hope of winning the conference tournament. Bc let’s face it, a team as dominate as Gonzaga won’t  happen all the time. So in most years the conference will always be up for grabs in March. 

It’s always an uphill battle for mid majors but at the end of the day a 3/4 game winning streak in March is all you need to go dancing. And usually in most mid majors there is no one team that perennially runs the conference. Unless your name is Gonzaga.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John said:

You are right about so many points. Until some big time power moguls want to change the status of all the power and big time conferences and let a lot of the lower conferences have more seats at the NCAA table nothing will ever change. It would have to take a revolt from the average fan screaming to the high heaven for anything to change. All these decisions are made with one thing in mind “money” and to hell with fairness. Do agree it is probably pointless but sometimes the average fans like us have to let off some steam.Our family really does not much of the the power conferences and for that matter the Sabres and Bills anymore for a variety of reasons. We are proud supporters of UB and that will never change. Go Bulls!!!!!

I disagree.  Until the NOT big time power moguls realize that the bread crumbs they have been eating are not a substantial diet, nothing will change.  CBS pays a billion dollars for the NCAA tourney.  Subtract even the idea of a sister Jean, Butler spanking the big boys two years running, the country having for no good reason to learn who the F Gonzaga is... I can keep going, but what would CBS pay without all that?  

If the NCAA wanted to, it could create a tournament which excluded very few DI teams. Push the tournament, as we use to think of it - 64 teams - back one week. Just have a two tiered tournament to start the process. The top 64 teams, with the existing provision that no conference will be denied a spot amongst that group of 64, get to rest a week. What do the other 256 teams do? They play a tournament with 128 games on Tuesday, and 64 games on Friday. Now there are the original 64 teams that rested a week and the 64 teams that survived the first tier of games. They are paired off and the lower bracket teams travel to the top 64 teams’ home court for another round of elimination with 32 games on Monday and 32 games on Tuesday. 

What’s left? The top 64 teams (or at least the 64 teams that still have a chance to win it all). They start on Thursday or Friday and you know the rest...It’s a win-win proposition. Except for the 33 teams that didn’t get invited to the “SuperDance”. The other 320 teams coaches and players could send them personal notes of encouragement for next year or something. TV would love it! This can work! Warren Buffett would most likely up his prize to $1 billion for anyone smart enough to correctly predict the outcome of all 319 games. The only fly in the ointment that I can think of is that baseball owners wouldn’t like more competition with their product during that extra week of Marpril Mania.

1 minute ago, squire17 said:

If the NCAA wanted to, it could create a tournament which excluded very few DI teams. Push the tournament, as we use to think of it - 64 teams - back one week. Just have a two tiered tournament to start the process. The top 64 teams, with the existing provision that no conference will be denied a spot amongst that group of 64, get to rest a week. What do the other 256 teams do? They play a tournament with 128 games on Tuesday, and 64 games on Friday. Now there are the original 64 teams that rested a week and the 64 teams that survived the first tier of games. They are paired off and the lower bracket teams travel to the top 64 teams’ home court for another round of elimination with 32 games on Monday and 32 games on Tuesday. 

What’s left? The top 64 teams (or at least the 64 teams that still have a chance to win it all). They start on Thursday or Friday and you know the rest...It’s a win-win proposition. Except for the 33 teams that didn’t get invited to the “SuperDance”. The other 320 teams coaches and players could send them personal notes of encouragement for next year or something. TV would love it! This can work! Warren Buffett would most likely up his prize to $1 billion for anyone smart enough to correctly predict the outcome of all 319 games. The only fly in the ointment that I can think of is that baseball owners wouldn’t like more competition with their product during that extra week of Marpril Mania.

What if you treated it like a bowl bid? .500 or better gets you in?

2 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

What if you treated it like a bowl bid? .500 or better gets you in?

Good...but what about an Oklahoma or an Indiana? They would feel hurt. Seriously though, a Southwestern Wyoming at say 10-8 isn’t the same as an 8-10 Creighton.

Edited by squire17

On 3/3/2019 at 5:13 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

I think joining the AAC is a bad idea just from a travel logistics point of view. Imagine the expense of having to travel to Tulane, SMU or USF to name a few. Would joining that conference outweigh the expense???

I rather join the Big 10 or Big East. As pipedreamy as those may be. Geographically makes most sense.  Big East to me is more attainable since they only have 10 teams and might be looking to expand to 12 or more.

You can't just decide which conference you will join. (Not UB anyway.)  The only step up for us is the AAC. Can't do Big East because a) it's mostly private schools. We don't fit the profile, and b) no football.  At least the AAC has schools in the same class as UB, public research universities. Travel expense is a huge consideration, for sure. But moving up the ladder ain't cheap.  The alternative is to stay in the MAC with second-level schools with directions in their names.

2 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

You mean move to a conference with directional  schools like Central Florida, South Florida, East Carolina and Southern Methodist?

Touche. But are you really comparing South Fla to Central Michigan?  ECU maybe. At least the AAC has Temple and UCONN. Houston too but I think they and UCF might be destined for the P5 in the next re-organization...which is when UB might get the call up.

Edited by promotherobot

Every conference change I have ever read on this board is either delusional, dumb, far fetched or a combination of all 3.  So I want in.

the conference with no name

UCONN, UB and UMASS joins the BE.  All three enter a scheduling agreement for football.  Army joins said scheduling agreement for football for a home basketball game every year.  We got 4 football games.  Temple sees this happen and wants in.  We have five games.  Now basketball schools can play basketball in a BB forward conference and football independence is not so scary (plus olympics for all parties are now still local ish).   And the BE already gets paid better than the American without football anyway.  (And their new TV deal minus UCONN and now maybe Temple is now crap). Who knows? Maybe Memphis wants in?  We sell our own football rights to the local channels (aka the locals actually get to see the product! Local businesses get to advertise to a population they may actually see), side deals here and there and there is world peace.  I feel like I didn’t sell that last part enough.

16 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

Haha. Damn, I do it for first time and for the first time it gets called out.  Well played sir.  But Jeseph has a point.

lol I wasn't calling anyone out specifically and it's not even a big deal 😄 

5 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

Every conference change I have ever read on this board is either delusional, dumb, far fetched or a combination of all 3.  So I want in.

the conference with no name

UCONN, UB and UMASS joins the BE.  All three enter a scheduling agreement for football.  Army joins said scheduling agreement for football for a home basketball game every year.  We got 4 football games.  Temple sees this happen and wants in.  We have five games.  Now basketball schools can play basketball in a BB forward conference and football independence is not so scary (plus olympics for all parties are now still local ish).   And the BE already gets paid better than the American without football anyway.  (And their new TV deal minus UCONN and now maybe Temple is now crap). Who knows? Maybe Memphis wants in?  We sell our own football rights to the local channels (aka the locals actually get to see the product! Local businesses get to advertise to a population they may actually see), side deals here and there and there is world peace.  I feel like I didn’t sell that last part enough.

Nice fan fiction, lol

So just as I was thinking the selection committee might actually give UB a fair shake this year because they earned it I read all these posts. I think UB could win out and still be a 7 or 8 so they have to play a 1 or 2 and possibly (likely) stopping a run. I believe it's so corrupt they actually do things like this to prevent a mid major run as best they can.