Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Schedule and Alumni Arena Attendance

weareub46

Was just looking ahead at the schedule. Not sure how many people will go to the exhibition game this week. Then the next home game is against SIU towards the end of finals week where a ton of students will prob have left campus for the holidays. After that, students don’t come back till the end of January which is about a third of the way through MAC play. Kinda sucks. I love that we have cuse and Marquette coming up to get some good tests but it’s going to be difficult to continue to be ranked until the students can be back at full force...

I know you're talking Student attendance, but the LeMoyne game might be well attended given UB's record and LeMoyne's ties to the region - both geographically and via basketball lineage. LeMoyne's coach is a WNY native and the son of Michigan coach John Beilein. They have a large extended family in WNY, most of whom have ties to local basketball. 

5 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Is there a Beilein that is the Coach at Niagara County Community College as well?  We ran into their team at a rest stop in Milan, Ohio, on the way to Detroit on Friday afternoon.

Appears so. Nephew of John, cousin of Patrick.

http://www.ncccathletics.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/Bill_Beilein?view=bio

Edited by BrazenBull
Link snafu

3 minutes ago, weareub46 said:

So if this is not an exhibition game even though they are a d2 school does this count towards our record?? On the espn app it has lemoyne as 0-0 because it doesn’t have d2 stats. Will this make our record 8-0 if/when we win?

It's not an exhibition game, therefore, it's a regular game and will count on our record. 

7 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

It's not an exhibition game, therefore, it's a regular game and will count on our record. 

I seem to remember that one game against a lower division will count, but a second game would not.  I feel like a few MAC teams have played 2 lower teams* in the recent past.

* in addition to any true pre-season exhibition games.

19 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

I seem to remember that one game against a lower division will count, but a second game would not.  I feel like a few MAC teams have played 2 lower teams* in the recent past.

CMU’s OOC schedule is typically a couple mid majors, handful of D2 and D3, couple of NAIA, a high school program or two, etc

56 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

You’re mistaken. 

Any four year school who is a member of a recognized association or fully accredited counts as a game. 

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

You’re mistaken. 

Any four year school who is a member of a recognized association or fully accredited counts as a game. 

No, I am correctly stating my memory.  I might have been misinformed, but I was not mistaken.  I was sharing a thought, and not stating a fact.  Why make it personal?  And, after you recently demanded proof of a tweet in another thread, I find it comical that you now don't feel the need to provide proof backing your own statement.  Lighten up...

So I take back anything I said about disapproving of playing a D2 team at this point in the season. Those of you who said it would be a tune up after coming back from Ireland were 100%. Very much needed to get back into the flow of things after the first half. LeMoyne also played lights out in the first half. Credit to them. Hopefully we are prepared for Saturday

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

No, I am correctly stating my memory.  I might have been misinformed, but I was not mistaken.  I was sharing a thought, and not stating a fact.  Why make it personal?  And, after you recently demanded proof of a tweet in another thread, I find it comical that you now don't feel the need to provide proof backing your own statement.  Lighten up...

"Demanded proof of a tweet" is a bit of hyperbole.

I thought there might be an actual full length interview that went into the details which was merely summarized by the little snippet you linked.  I was looking for more information and really wanted to see how UB was being active in the community.  Turns out they aren't.  It was just about the AD having moved to Buffalo and trying to get a feel for the community he now lives in.

No big deal.

As for your other point: It's not a personal attack on you.

I am correcting a post on the board so that other people don't see it and repeat is as fact like you did.  

I will run down the rules for people to provide some clarity:

Division-I teams are only permitted two exhibitions a year.  UB played Albany (secret scrimmage) and Daemen in their two exhibition.  They have to count every other contest against outside competition as an official game. 

D3 teams can count a contest as an exhibition if it is against a D1 team.  But a D2 team can't treat the game as an exhibition unless both teams classify it as an exhibition.  (Buffalo can't agree to make it an exhibition because they already played two exhibitions.)

D1 teams are limited to a maximum of four outside competitions against non-D1 teams.  For instance, these four non-D1 contests could be two exhibitions and two games, or it could be as many as four games and no exhibitions.

While a D1 team can play up to four non-D1 contests, the non-D1 teams must meet certain criteria in order for the contest to be permitted... the non-D1 team must be a school where the majority of their degrees granted are for four-year programs, the team must be considered a varsity program, and the school must be a member of a recognized athletic association (NCAA, NAIA, NCCAA, etc), or the school must be fully-accredited by a recognized regional accreditor.  They could not, for instance, play Erie Community College, because they are not a four year school.  They also couldn't play a local semi-pro team because they are not a varsity collegiate program. 

2 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

"Demanded proof of a tweet" is a bit of hyperbole.

I thought there might be an actual full length interview that went into the details which was merely summarized by the little snippet you linked.  I was looking for more information and really wanted to see how UB was being active in the community.  Turns out they aren't.  It was just about the AD having moved to Buffalo and trying to get a feel for the community he now lives in.

No big deal.

Alnutt has volunteered on numerous 5k charity runs in the Buffalo community, attended many local neighborhood events and has his face out in the community (even while his family is not living here yet). I find that incredible. 

Saw him on the metro going downtown wearing a UB hat by himself. A guy came on the train and they started chatting. He had no idea who he was, asked him about Buffalo sports then UB sports. Then ultimately told him who he was. It was great and I thought the conversation was productive for both individuals. I don't have an interview or article to send you about it. I have seen it. 

Have you not seen the UB Football team attend elementary and middle schools during the season and doing walk to victories? The videos are on their twitter. Kids getting excited about UB (Community Engagement).

It is all around you but you are choosing to actively not see it. You need an article or interview? Maybe I am different, I see that as gloat. 

I am sorry this is off topic but that accusation that you made is a strong one.

An individual being active in the community is not the athletic department.

That is my point.

You tell me to look around as if it is obvious and I am simply oblivious.  But it is exactly because I have been aware that I was curious about what new things were going on.  

Here is a video from 2015.  Is that what you're talking about?  The football team has done elementary school visits for years.

I thought I would be seeing an article about some new things that the athletic department is trying.  The article didn't list anything.  It simply said the AD (again, one person) was going out to see what Buffalo was like.

Again, I have no problem with an executive taking time to learn how a place works before they try to come in and change things up.  I think that is a good approach for someone who will be there in the long term.  But the article made is sound like there was new things going on.  Is it too much to ask what those new things are?

7 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I am correcting a post on the board so that other people don't see it and repeat is as fact like you did.

We are clearly not communicating.  I said "I seem to remember that...", nothing along the lines of "I know for a fact that...".  Uncertainty was built into my post.

7 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

It's not a personal attack on you.

You said "you're mistaken", not "that is incorrect".  Use of the word you makes it personal.  I was reacting to the accumulation of several unrelated posts, and should have kept it to myself.  Forget about it, I don't really mind.  My skin isn't actually that thin. 

It's nice that you typed some rules, but without knowing where they came from, I'm still left wondering if they are correct.  I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'm just wondering why the readers should believe your post over any of the other comments in the thread.

33 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

It's nice that you typed some rules, but without knowing where they came from, I'm still left wondering if they are correct.  I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'm just wondering why the readers should believe your post over any of the other comments in the thread.

https://www.ncaapublications.com/

Perform your own due diligence if you want.