Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Le Moyne @ #17 UB - (12/05 - 7:00pm ET)

Jeseph

On 12/3/2018 at 1:53 PM, dutchcountry7 said:

Lemoyne is a better than a lot of bottom D1 teams.  Massey ratings has them ranked higher than the likes of Norfolk State, Monmouth, and Binghamton.  

Would we expect people not to show up for those teams?  Either people are going to just show up because Buffalo is ranked and winning, or we need to start scheduling home games that matter.  

This will be the test.  If winning alone will draw fans then expect a sell out. 

Bump

Credit to LeMoyne, they came to play.  My brother next to me said they had more size than he expected.  Going 8 for 12 from three in the first half put them in the game.  It took a Jeremy Harris 3 at the end of the half to go into the locker rooms tied.

As we've seen several times thus far, UB will figure out what the other team is doing and clamp down on defense in the second half.  Thus a tie game at the half turns into a 30 point lead near the end.  Amazing to think they gave up only 18 points in the last 20 minutes.  The Bulls killed them on the boards tonight, but that many turnovers kinda bothered me.  As much as anything possibly can in a big win.

Dontay - gets first mention because he brought the energy tonight, at both ends of the court.  He's really improved his touch around the basket and his foul shooting.  Setting a great example for the new guys.
CJ - the quietest triple-double ever.
Perkins - was a mismatch for LeMoyne underneath and continually made them pay. 
Harris - seemed to have his shooting stroke back.  I like how he's willing to take, and hit, those mid range jumpers.
Williams - has a great physical reach, but one of the guys behind us wonders if he's a little more raw than we expected based on his recruiting rating.  I know, I know, what can you expect from a freshman in the first half of their first season - but he and Segu are no normal freshman at this level.
Bertram - he's big, but doesn't play big.  And I keep wishing he would.
Jordan - he's gotten so good at drawing and selling those offensive charges and push-offs, you hope that he doesn't go too far and it gets to the point they don't believe them anymore. 

The students and the band were back and the energy returned to the building.  It was much appreciated.  Question - will they all be at the next home game (Saturday Dec 15 vs Southern Illinois)?

All in all, a good performance tonight, they responded well to a team that came out shooting well.  Saturday will be a big challenge.  Bona is looking better, and they and their fans will be up for facing a ranked team at home. [shudder], Bona.

Side note - in the post game interview, Hodgson mentioned that Niagara decided not to continue the series this year.  I don't know if that's a one year thing or we won't be facing the Purple Chickens for some time now, but that's a shame.

3 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

Question - will they all be at the next home game (Saturday Dec 15 vs Southern Illinois)?

No.  Next week is finals week.  Half the school will be home next Saturday.

5 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

Side note - in the post game interview, Hodgson mentioned that Niagara decided not to continue the series this year.  I don't know if that's a one year thing or we won't be facing the Purple Chickens for some time now, but that's a shame.

Games in Lewiston are practically home games these days so I'd even be down to play there if they split the ticket revenue and comped the GI tolls for fans.

Even though tied at the half I felt the defense was certainly going to be ratcheted up in the second. Glad they put in a convincing second half.

Attendance was 4400, again for Le moyne pretty nice. I thought the students were a bit silent for way too long in this game. The consistency in their participation isn't what it was years ago. Maybe Im being a bit harsh for a game against Le moyne? Possible.

As a collector and a long time fan owning this program is actually pretty cool. Just to have the rank # there and everything. You never know if we will ever be ranked this high again (although that at this point entirely rests on the Bona game)

02U1kgtm.jpg

• Jeseph unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

Credit to LeMoyne, they came to play.  My brother next to me said they had more size than he expected.  Going 8 for 12 from three in the first half put them in the game.  It took a Jeremy Harris 3 at the end of the half to go into the locker rooms tied.

As we've seen several times thus far, UB will figure out what the other team is doing and clamp down on defense in the second half.  Thus a tie game at the half turns into a 30 point lead near the end.  Amazing to think they gave up only 18 points in the last 20 minutes.  The Bulls killed them on the boards tonight, but that many turnovers kinda bothered me.  As much as anything possibly can in a big win.

Dontay - gets first mention because he brought the energy tonight, at both ends of the court.  He's really improved his touch around the basket and his foul shooting.  Setting a great example for the new guys.
CJ - the quietest triple-double ever.
Perkins - was a mismatch for LeMoyne underneath and continually made them pay. 
Harris - seemed to have his shooting stroke back.  I like how he's willing to take, and hit, those mid range jumpers.
Williams - has a great physical reach, but one of the guys behind us wonders if he's a little more raw than we expected based on his recruiting rating.  I know, I know, what can you expect from a freshman in the first half of their first season - but he and Segu are no normal freshman at this level.
Bertram - he's big, but doesn't play big.  And I keep wishing he would.
Jordan - he's gotten so good at drawing and selling those offensive charges and push-offs, you hope that he doesn't go too far and it gets to the point they don't believe them anymore. 

The students and the band were back and the energy returned to the building.  It was much appreciated.  Question - will they all be at the next home game (Saturday Dec 15 vs Southern Illinois)?

All in all, a good performance tonight, they responded well to a team that came out shooting well.  Saturday will be a big challenge.  Bona is looking better, and they and their fans will be up for facing a ranked team at home. [shudder], Bona.

Great observations as always. Bulls looked disinterested in playing in the first half. Frowns on their faces coming out of the locker room to start the second half suggests they got blistered by the coach. Postgame interview revealed that the team was going to focus on allowing LeMoyne to score "one point a minute". Bulls certainly came through on that. I concur on the CJ comment - I barely noticed him one the court, yet he had a triple double. Conversely, it was difficult to miss how completely ineffective Bertram is anywhere on the court. The it was announced that Bertram was headed to UB, I watched some film of him online. My reaction then was "meh" and, sadly, it still is - slow footwork and slow to react. Fortunately, the rest of the bench is looking a bit deeper with each game. LeMoyne came in with attitude and more size that I expected. Obviously every team this season will have their date with ranked UB circled, with exclamation points, on their calendar.

Williams is still a long way away from being a positive contributor. It seems every time he’s on the court he proves to be a defensive liability and mistake prone offensively. With his ranking would have thought he’d be further along. Still a lot of time to figure it it as he’s only 8 games into his college career. Segu on the other hand is ready skill and IQ wise. He just needs to get stronger and bring a little more in the defensive end. Bertram is still a work in progress. I suspect by his senior year he’ll be an important contributor. Hopefully the timeline accelerates. 

24 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Williams is still a long way away from being a positive contributor. It seems every time he’s on the court he proves to be a defensive liability and mistake prone offensively. With his ranking would have thought he’d be further along. Still a lot of time to figure it it as he’s only 8 games into his college career. Segu on the other hand is ready skill and IQ wise. He just needs to get stronger and bring a little more in the defensive end. Bertram is still a work in progress. I suspect by his senior year he’ll be an important contributor. Hopefully the timeline accelerates. 

I am glad I wasn't the only one who thought that about Williams. Also have that similar feeling to Fagan. Williams was obviously higher. I think they will be breakouts within 2 years though.

I feel the same way about Williams. Pretty disappointing start with for our highest rated (I think) recruit ever. I am sure he will figure it out eventually after learning from Oats and this great senior class. Luckily we don't have to rely on him too much this year, next year we might. 

1 minute ago, SGBull said:

I feel the same way about Williams. Pretty disappointing start with for our highest rated (I think) recruit ever. I am sure he will figure it out eventually after learning from Oats and this great senior class. Luckily we don't have to rely on him too much this year, next year we might. 

In an earlier Bulls Insider video Hodgson talked about Williams as though he's "really close" to taking that next step. Maybe this is coach-speak but this staff generally seems to speak without much of a filter. Hoping we see what they're seeing soon!

1 minute ago, Jeseph said:

In an earlier Bulls Insider video Hodgson talked about Williams as though he's "really close" to taking that next step. Maybe this is coach-speak but this staff generally seems to speak without much of a filter. Hoping we see what they're seeing soon!

I won't be surprised if he takes the next step during the later portion of conference play. He's obviously going through the motions of transitioning to college, but the guy is so talented and he will be good. 

7 hours ago, ubfan75 said:

Great observations as always. Bulls looked disinterested in playing in the first half. Frowns on their faces coming out of the locker room to start the second half suggests they got blistered by the coach. Postgame interview revealed that the team was going to focus on allowing LeMoyne to score "one point a minute". Bulls certainly came through on that. I concur on the CJ comment - I barely noticed him one the court, yet he had a triple double. Conversely, it was difficult to miss how completely ineffective Bertram is anywhere on the court. The it was announced that Bertram was headed to UB, I watched some film of him online. My reaction then was "meh" and, sadly, it still is - slow footwork and slow to react. Fortunately, the rest of the bench is looking a bit deeper with each game. LeMoyne came in with attitude and more size that I expected. Obviously every team this season will have their date with ranked UB circled, with exclamation points, on their calendar.

Agree great analysis. Not surprised it took a half for the team to get going after the Belfast trip. The report on LeMoyne was they could shoot and they did that in the first half.The key was UB played with great defensive intensity in the 2nd half. LeMoyne’s #13Zay Jennings lit us up from the 3’s in the first half. Dontay was put on him in the 2nd half and he barely had any room to breathe. The rest of the team followed his lead. So much for CJ not playing to rest his knee sprain!! A little concerned about Williams with really no improvement seen in his overall play. Have to believe in the coaches that they will coach him up and he will become the player he has been touted to be. Go Bulls!!!!