Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#17 UB in Olean, NY - (12/08 - 4:00pm ET)

Jeseph

Saturday is our biggest test since WVU in my opinion. Big rivalry game on the road with a huge target on us to take out a ranked and undefeated opponent. I actually had both the UB and Bonnies game on (parents are both Siena alum) and they looked very good, although Siena is terrible this year. 

I was really excited to see Caruthers step up and be the guy tonight that helped separate us early in the 2nd half. He will be very confident heading into the game Saturday and I think he will be the key match up on Saturday against Courtney Stockard.  They are 3-0 since he returned and he has played great in each game.  Big strong guard that may prove to be a bit too much size for Jordan so I'm curious to see how Oates plays it.

Here is a video of him from NCAA tourney last year if you need a reminder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhs3rUc0_4o

Additionally, we've gotten out to our games very slow this year and crushed teams late.  Can't let that happen on Saturday.  In that small gym it gets very loud and if we get behind early with missed shots and turning the ball over (10 TO's 1st half tonight) we could be in a tough hole. Jump out to an early 5-10 point lead and hold it the best we can while still playing our game.  Curious to see if the young guys get any burn in this.  Williams has not looked great, Segu looks more confident and sure of himself out there.  Fagan seems to be falling out of the rotation entirely except for wash up minutes.

One final note.  This Bonnie team was predicted bottom half of A-10 (9th from what I remember).  Tough game, but we should expect to win this even though it is a feat yet to be had.

My prediction?  A close one with Harris crushing them down the stretch: 93 -75 Buffalo.

Go Bulls!!

Ugh I hate that arena so much. Such nasty fans. This is going to be a battle. Going to need to have an excellent game in both halves to come out with a W. If the Bonnies get on any kind of run without us nipping it in the bud it's going to get ugly. That arena gets any motivation and nothing will go our way.

A win would mean way more to all of us than the credit we would get in rankings given SBUs slow start. Unfortunately I have a wedding literally at the same time which is sad and might have to sneak to the bathroom...every 5 minutes. GO BULLS

0-6 here all time. One of the toughest places to play. 

We have passed some big tests already this year. Obviously WVU but especially the San Fran game.

Bona appears to be getting healthier and much more dangerous than had we played them a couple weeks ago.

Im ok with any kind of win, ugly, close whatever. I can see this being a 70-68 type score.

I've been nervous about this game all season and Bona's slow start didn't really do anything to ease my fears. Everything I've seen from this team tells me they SHOULD go in there and win but Bona has been beating our good teams the last few years. We'll see if they can beat our great team, too. 

• Jeseph pinned this topic

This UB (obviously) team is better than any of our teams that have taken the floor in the past. Games like these, against a strong local opponent, need to be won to continue "turning the corner" as a program.

I know they're playing better. I know the RC is going to be loud because a ranked team is coming to town. I know they got their best player back.

I don't care. They're not that good. We need to win this game and power through this incredibly tough remaining OOC schedule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I know they're playing better. I know the RC is going to be loud because a ranked team is coming to town. I know they got their best player back.

I don't care. They're not that good. We need to win this game and power through this incredibly tough remaining OOC schedule.

giphy.webp

Edited by BullsFan14

I’m most worried about three things: 1. UB’s team three point shooting 2. UB’s rebounding and 3. UB Turnovers. Last year at Alumni Arena the Bulls were poor in all three categories. If memory serves, Bona’s Adams was just returning from the injured list. He and Mobley are gone, but the Bonnie’s currently have three guys who are shooting well from deep: Kaputo, Poyser, and Lofton. They’ve got some big bodies down low. The Reilly Center is one of the toughest places to play in the country. The Bulls guards will be fine, but it will take solid play from Perkins, Harris, and McRae in order to finally win one in Olean.

5 minutes ago, squire17 said:

The Bulls guards will be fine, but it will take solid play from Perkins, Harris, and McRae in order to finally win one in Olean.

Harris' game is heating up and I've really liked Perkins game lately (playing strong inside and being more selective with his 3s) McRae is a confusing player to me but he's had a good stroke with his shot lately, I'll take those points when we get them! Definitely need to limit TOs if we can control the ball and play at our pace I could see this being a double-digit win.

9 hours ago, hurley said:

Saturday is our biggest test since WVU in my opinion. Big rivalry game on the road with a huge target on us to take out a ranked and undefeated opponent. I actually had both the UB and Bonnies game on (parents are both Siena alum) and they looked very good, although Siena is terrible this year. 

I was really excited to see Caruthers step up and be the guy tonight that helped separate us early in the 2nd half. He will be very confident heading into the game Saturday and I think he will be the key match up on Saturday against Courtney Stockard.  They are 3-0 since he returned and he has played great in each game.  Big strong guard that may prove to be a bit too much size for Jordan so I'm curious to see how Oates plays it.

Here is a video of him from NCAA tourney last year if you need a reminder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhs3rUc0_4o

Additionally, we've gotten out to our games very slow this year and crushed teams late.  Can't let that happen on Saturday.  In that small gym it gets very loud and if we get behind early with missed shots and turning the ball over (10 TO's 1st half tonight) we could be in a tough hole. Jump out to an early 5-10 point lead and hold it the best we can while still playing our game.  Curious to see if the young guys get any burn in this.  Williams has not looked great, Segu looks more confident and sure of himself out there.  Fagan seems to be falling out of the rotation entirely except for wash up minutes.

One final note.  This Bonnie team was predicted bottom half of A-10 (9th from what I remember).  Tough game, but we should expect to win this even though it is a feat yet to be had.

My prediction?  A close one with Harris crushing them down the stretch: 93 -75 Buffalo.

Go Bulls!!

Agree on all counts, especially about the bench. Williams was ineffective last night; Segu looked confident, but created a few matchups he shouldn't have; Fagan looked lost for pretty much the entire 5-6 minutes he was on the floor. It's early yet...I'm hopeful.

12 hours ago, UB85 said:

I read somewhere tonight that Bona fans were chanting “WE WANT UB!!” in the second half of their demolition of Siena tonight. The boys better be ready to play. 

I took that to mean they wanted to see the team play a ranked team.

Wonder if the Bonnies players think they can compete with the Bulls?  They were blown out in the Caymens. 

Edited by dutchcountry7

27 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I took that to mean they wanted to see the team play a ranked team.

Wonder if the Bonnies players think they can compete with the Bulls?  They were blown out in the Caymens. 

Wonder how good they would be if they were healthy. If they are without LaDarien Griffin again Saturday, I just don't see Bonnies getting the W.

It would be fool hardy to take any team lightly as the first half of the lemoyne game showed. Bona is a much better team with Stockard. Combine that with the reilly center, the natural desire to take it to a highly regarded opponent and an improved Bona team the game has danger written all over it. Having played the game I know how important the mental part of the game is. I do believe our guys will be ready to go. Will have to play with top level defensive intensity, limit turnovers and rebound. If we do we should be good. 

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

It would be fool hardy to take any team lightly as the first half of the lemoyne game showed. Bona is a much better team with Stockard. Combine that with the reilly center, the natural desire to take it to a highly regarded opponent and an improved Bona team the game has danger written all over it. Having played the game I know how important the mental part of the game is. I do believe our guys will be ready to go. Will have to play with top level defensive intensity, limit turnovers and rebound. If we do we should be good. 

I do agree. I think Nate has the players in the right mental state on all fronts. Do agree Bona is playing better with Stockard back and with some of their new players learning how to play together. As long as we put in a solid 40 minutes we should win. The big thing is to limit how the Bona fans and the students get into the game. Go Bulls!!!!

1 hour ago, Buffalobonnie said:

I guess the question I have is why does UB even schedule this game?  You are doing us a favor by playing us and for that we are grateful.  I hope when the tournament you guys are putting together with Big East and ACC teams ( discussed in another thread) gets going you won’t forget us.  

Don’t worry I’ll forget about you as soon as this game ends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1