Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#17 UB in Olean, NY - (12/08 - 4:00pm ET)

Jeseph

19 hours ago, Buffalobonnie said:

I guess the question I have is why does UB even schedule this game?  You are doing us a favor by playing us and for that we are grateful.  I hope when the tournament you guys are putting together with Big East and ACC teams ( discussed in another thread) gets going you won’t forget us.  

How much are you paying us? After all the Bonnies play in the vaunted A-10. We're just a lowly MAC team.

Bona fan on reddit was saying that UB paid a specific player to come to here.

The same program that could not get a single big guy to play for here. And the same program that has three 2 star recruits signed for this season. And cut 4 programs, crowdfunds for a jugs machine, etc etc

Wow, this thread has taken an unpleasant turn.  Who would think this would happen on a message board? 

You will be safe at Bonaventure if you are just cheering for your team.  If you decide to get in the face of the student section and heckle them it becomes a numbers game.  How many of you are there?  how many of them are there?   A large portion of the student body comes from the WNY area so they have learned how to act at Bills games etc.  Concessions are not great.  They probably will be run by a student group trying to make money.  The ceiling is low and the doors will be closed. It will be loud.

4 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

Regardless of what is written on message boards or in the Olean Times Herald, Schmidt and his players are not fools. They will prepare and play hard realizing they have a tough opponent and a chance to advance the trajectory of their season. Oats is just as savvy. Leave the BS to the fans, writers and any players stupid enough to look down at an opponent. As Marv Levy would say, let your actions speak so loudly they cannot hear you speak.

2 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

Funny their fans were chanting we want UB.

I've never chanted that I've wanted Bona, until really getting into Bull Run I thought Buff State was the 4th team in the Big 4, (I still don't know how a team 90 minutes away is considered "local").

It was the Little Three for the longest time and Bonas would have a handful of games at the Buffalo Aud every year to packed crowds.  Up through the 70s, the Little Three were a big deal in Buffalo.  Though that's like 50 years ago now.

When Buffalo went D1 the Buffalo News started calling the teams the Big Four when comparing them in basketball.  

The little 3 hit its apex with Niagara and Bona in the big dance back in 1971. The little 3 was huge back in the 50s and 60s. The Aud would have double headers and bring in top teams from around the country many of whom would move onto NYC to play in the Garden. I remember watching games on tv after I got interested in basketball as a punk kid. I remember being inspired by what I saw. I'd shovel the driveway, go out shoot hoops at halftime, get a replacement ball from the heating vent wen the first lost its bounce due to the cold air and then go back inside to watch the second half of course only to return outside after the game.

Niagara has been to the tourney once I think since 71 and Bona several times, once around 1978, once in the 80s with Tim Winn where they gave Kentucky a scare, maybe once in the 90s and again last year. Canisius has gone once since the 60s with John Beilein quite a while ago. 

2 hours ago, Jeseph said:

If you decide to get in the face of UB fans and heckle them it becomes a numbers game.  How many of you are there?  how many of them are there?

I am just disappointed In you Jeseph. This is weak, I know what a message board is and I thought you did also.  The rhetoric on message boards and factual inaccuracies are part of the fun.  I don’t really expect to learn or change any minds that is what this is all about. Have fun cheering for your team tomorrow. 

I remember going to my first college double-header in 1961 at the old aud. Bonaventure was always the first game - unless they were playing the Griffs. They used to be called the “Brown Indians” (politically incorrect now) and were ranked 2nd nationally at one point. The Little Three games were SRO affairs, except Niagara was not a participant for a number of years because of a financial dispute with Canisius on the revenue split (I believe). In 1969-1970 they had Bob Lanier from Bennett High in Buffalo, and that team probably would have won it all were it not for a late game freak injury to Lanier in the Easter Regional final blowout win against Villanova. The Bonnies took Kentucky to 2 or 3 overtimes before losing in a first round NCAA March Madness game in 2000. The school has a lot of history involving its mens basketball team. Schmidt must be doing something right - he’s in his 12th year there and pulls in almost $1 mill a year. This game will be a battle. 

6 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Schmidt must be doing something right - he’s in his 12th year there and pulls in almost $1 mill a year. This game will be a battle. 

Schmidt has been a godsend for Bona. He brought them out of the depths or corruption, restored the pride in Bona basketball, has developed great big men and has made Bona a good team year in and year out.

Whenever anyone says "Bonaventure", you will immediately hear about Bob Lanier and how they went to the final four in 1970.  That was almost FIFTY years ago!!  And they're still living by it.  I appreciate the pride they have down there in that program, I think a lot of that comes from a lack of other big draws in the area.  Bona basketball isn't one of many things, it's THE big thing.  So it's going to mean a lot to a lot of people.  But the average impression I've gotten from the Bona fans I've come across is a more aggressive one than usual - like they're not just into it but they're angry.  Here in Buffalo we're so used to being the ones operating with a chip on our shoulder, it's kinda uncomfortable to see it in others.  They so want you to accept that they're a huge deal.  If you look at their record over the years - since those 1960's teams, they've had mostly okay years, some really barren ones, and several good ones.  Really, not terribly different from UB over the past 20 years.  But they'll aggressively push the idea that they're a big deal, in this kinda uncomfortably desperate inadequate way.  They think they're pushing their team, but they may not realize the negative impression it leaves on everyone else.  The aggressive attitude of "we invented how to watch a basketball game and support a team" doesn't win you a lot of friends or admiration.  The Little Three teams being big deals FIFTY years ago isn't really relevant today.

25 minutes ago, Buffalobonnie said:

I am just disappointed In you Jeseph. This is weak, I know what a message board is and I thought you did also.  The rhetoric on message boards and factual inaccuracies are part of the fun.  I don’t really expect to learn or change any minds that is what this is all about. Have fun cheering for your team tomorrow. 

You do realize those were your words, right...?

1 minute ago, UB85 said:

Schmidt has been a godsend for Bona. He brought them out of the depths or corruption, restored the pride in Bona basketball, has developed great big men and has made Bona a good team year in and year out.

I agree that Schmidt has been a godsend for Bona. He seems to always find good players and has been able to develop some players into very good players. I believe Nate is following the same script along with his coaching staff. When talking about the old AUD and the doubleheader’s boy does that being back memories back when we did not have social media etc. Bona, the Griffs and Niagara and now UB can write their own story and can become the talk of WNY. Hoping more pure basketball fans join us for the ride. Go Bulls!!!!

12 minutes ago, UB85 said:

No surprise. He is a Jamestown guy. If truth be told I was a huge Bona fan back then too. Bob Lanier, Bully Kalbaugh, Matt Gantt were all favs of mine.

Again bringing back wonderful memories of great players. Hope years from now fans will be talking about some of the great UB players and share their memories of seeing great basketball. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1