Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#17 UB in Olean, NY - (12/08 - 4:00pm ET)

Jeseph

Seeing a LOT of extremely salty Bonnies fans on twitter and Facebook.  For a long, long time the Bonnies were seen as the only program in WNY approaching anything resembling quality, mostly because they were very good in the 70's.  They've mostly been rubbish since then, but so have Canisius, Niagara, and UB, so Bona's could ride on their 1970s accomplishments.  I think a lot of Bonnies fans are upset that the current trajectory is that UB is becomming the best program in WNY and has achieved more in the last 5 years than the Bonnies did in the last 2 decades.  I really, really want the Bonnies to be able to build a consistently relevant program again.  It would be great for both UB and Bona's to be able to count on a quality win or not bad loss each year because both programs are solid.  However Bonnie's fans will need to come to grips with the fact that right now, UB is simply better than Bona's in ever facet of the game and are better than any Bonnies team since the 70s.  

Edited by UBigbobby

My brother and I made the trip down to Bona today.  A trip we've wanted to take for years, and while we had to go to Olean for soccer this summer, making the trip down 16 in winter is another story.  The weather looked good, so we got the tickets earlier this week.

I despise Bona.  The trip-wire attitude, misplaced arrogance, everything.  So this win was so, so sweet. After a couple bad shots, UB got serious.  Serious on defense, making Bona grind out possessions to the end of the shot clock.  Serious on offense, hitting shots from outside but not afraid to drive to the net, even if it didn't always work.  That got Bona in early foul trouble.  #32 for Bona is going to be interesting going forward.  His time was limited because of fouls (at one point, he got his third, Schmidt left him out there, and promptly got a fourth).  He was a matchup problem for UB and Perkins couldn't move on him under the basket.  Anyway, that suffocating defense led to a big UB lead at the half.  A fellow season ticket holder texted me "having fun yet?"  I replied "so far....but that's what we said at halftime during the football title game."  In basketball, you can go on a run and get some three's.  UB started okay but went cold from the field (including, frustratingly, layups) and Bona crept back.   But some timely shots, and defensive stops, put on a lid on any comeback ideas.  I'm in a tremendous mood after this.  I loved the intensity, and poise, that UB brought tonight.  This team has had a habit of getting sloppy when they're up 10+ points but they didn't do that tonight.  And in the second half, even as the momentum kept kinda shifting, they stayed firm and resolute.  I walked in wishing we had Wes Clark tonight; in the end, we managed just fine.

Gravy - he has the makings of CJ version 2.0.  An all-around good basketball player who can do it all, and looks like a determined competitor.
CJ - kinda quiet for him, but some great rebounds.
Harris - it seems like he's shooting well again.
Perkins - was ineffective inside for the most part, and clumsy in a way he can be at times.
Williams - hit a big three in there, and a couple big free throws
Segu - what a great quick first step on a defender in the first half, finishing with a reverse layup.  He and Williams hopefully got some good experience in an intense game.
Montell - some good minutes, and a big three in the second half
Davonta - wasn't able to sell those charges as well today

I left underwhelmed by the Reilly Center.  I kept hearing about how amazing the atmosphere was - meh.  It's as loud as Niagara gets when they're good.  It took less than a minute for some Bona bro's to give me the finger for making noise during one of their foul shots (I was happy to do so).  They have three cheers: "Let's go Bona", "defense", and "f--k UB".  They lost points for the jumbotron telling them to do something a few times and them doing it.  Loud and interested, sure, but don't tell me there's anything special going on there.  The security guy near us said "there isn't a bad seat in the house" - I raised my hand and said "right here" - I was against the wall, facing nothing, I spent the game tilted to see anything and couldn't see the lower corner.  The end zone consists of bro's in backwards hats, the kind who postgame by chugging Bud Light Limes while planning their next Dave Matthews concert trip.  That was the saddest band I've seen in a long time.  I mean Canisius and Niagara had some high school kids playing but they were better than this.

You want UB?!  You got UB.  Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.  When you chant "You're a SUNY", that means your team's chances are dead and buried and you have nothing left to work with, so I couldn't help but laugh.

It was a very fine day.  Onwards from here.

5 hours ago, UB85 said:

Then there’s this,    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401085724 “The Bulls ... were unfazed by a rowdy, sold out and profanity-chanting  crowd....” I cannot imagine that’s how Bona, its administration and fans want to be known. The rowdy and sold out is what makes college basketball special. The profanity-chanting should be left in the gutter where it belongs. And that goes for every sporting event anywhere. 

I am a practicing Catholic.  And it's gotten to the point that if you're going to say you have certain values to live by, and put yourself on a pedestal with these, you have to act like it and live by them.  If you continue to act as stupid as everyone else, you're even worse because you're hypocrites.  I'm ashamed to say I'm a fellow Catholic with these people.  Apparently this is the image they want.  You can't say your vision is something greater but not act like it.  You can't act like it's just people being people but proclaim you're a cut above.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

My brother and I made the trip down to Bona today.  A trip we've wanted to take for years, and while we had to go to Olean for soccer this summer, making the trip down 16 in winter is another story.  The weather looked good, so we got the tickets earlier this week.

I despise Bona.  The trip-wire attitude, misplaced arrogance, everything.  So this win was so, so sweet. After a couple bad shots, UB got serious.  Serious on defense, making Bona grind out possessions to the end of the shot clock.  Serious on offense, hitting shots from outside but not afraid to drive to the net, even if it didn't always work.  That got Bona in early foul trouble.  #32 for Bona is going to be interesting going forward.  His time was limited because of fouls (at one point, he got his third, Schmidt left him out there, and promptly got a fourth).  He was a matchup problem for UB and Perkins couldn't move on him under the basket.  Anyway, that suffocating defense led to a big UB lead at the half.  A fellow season ticket holder texted me "having fun yet?"  I replied "so far....but that's what we said at halftime during the football title game."  In basketball, you can go on a run and get some three's.  UB started okay but went cold from the field (including, frustratingly, layups) and Bona crept back.   But some timely shots, and defensive stops, put on a lid on any comeback ideas.  I'm in a tremendous mood after this.  I loved the intensity, and poise, that UB brought tonight.  This team has had a habit of getting sloppy when they're up 10+ points but they didn't do that tonight.  And in the second half, even as the momentum kept kinda shifting, they stayed firm and resolute.  I walked in wishing we had Wes Clark tonight; in the end, we managed just fine.

Gravy - he has the makings of CJ version 2.0.  An all-around good basketball player who can do it all, and looks like a determined competitor.
CJ - kinda quiet for him, but some great rebounds.
Harris - it seems like he's shooting well again.
Perkins - was ineffective inside for the most part, and clumsy in a way he can be at times.
Williams - hit a big three in there, and a couple big free throws
Segu - what a great quick first step on a defender in the first half, finishing with a reverse layup.  He and Williams hopefully got some good experience in an intense game.
Montell - some good minutes, and a big three in the second half
Davonta - wasn't able to sell those charges as well today

I left underwhelmed by the Reilly Center.  I kept hearing about how amazing the atmosphere was - meh.  It's as loud as Niagara gets when they're good.  It took less than a minute for some Bona bro's to give me the finger for making noise during one of their foul shots (I was happy to do so).  They have three cheers: "Let's go Bona", "defense", and "f--k UB".  They lost points for the jumbotron telling them to do something a few times and them doing it.  Loud and interested, sure, but don't tell me there's anything special going on there.  The security guy near us said "there isn't a bad seat in the house" - I raised my hand and said "right here" - I was against the wall, facing nothing, I spent the game tilted to see anything and couldn't see the lower corner.  The end zone consists of bro's in backwards hats, the kind who postgame by chugging Bud Light Limes while planning their next Dave Matthews concert trip.  That was the saddest band I've seen in a long time.  I mean Canisius and Niagara had some high school kids playing but they were better than this.

You want UB?!  You got UB.  Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.  When you chant "You're a SUNY", that means your team's chances are dead and buried and you have nothing left to work with, so I couldn't help but laugh.

It was a very fine day.  Onwards from here.

Love the You're a SUNY chant.  Small private colleges like Bona's are dying slow and painful deaths and a school like UB provides a higher rated education than Bonas by far (as the Wall Street Journal, US News, or AAC&U).  Being a SUNY school is a point of pride.

• Like 1

As much as I’d like to defend my Bonnies, it will just fall on deaf ears. There’s no convincing you guys. You guys think Bona is a middling program that hasn’t been relevant since the 1970’s. We think UB plays in a joke of a conference, has no history or tradition, and absolutely pathetic student/fan support for a school and city that size. To each their own.

Enjoy your win and newfound prosperity. I hope you guys continue to build your resume so that you don’t have to rely on winning it all in Cleveland. 

4 minutes ago, Byron Mulkey said:

As much as I’d like to defend my Bonnies, it will just fall on deaf ears. There’s no convincing you guys. You guys think Bona is a middling program that hasn’t been relevant since the 1970’s. We think UB plays in a joke of a conference, has no history or tradition, and absolutely pathetic student/fan support for a school and city that size. To each their own.

Enjoy your win and newfound prosperity. I hope you guys continue to build your resume so that you don’t have to rely on winning it all in Cleveland. 

We're both right though.  

UB does play in a crappy conference, has no athletics history or tradition, and has poor support for being a 20,000 student school.  I'm a proud UB alum and all of those things as true.  Which isn't really surprising considering the program didn't even go D1 until 1994 and has been a mid-major since then.  Hopefully all of that changes, but as of right now, it's all true.

However it is also objectively true that the Bonnies have not been much of anything since the 1970s.  The program went from 1978-2000 without a single tournament appearance.  Since then, from 2000-today they've had as many as UB has had in the last 4 years alone.   The Bonnies coach is going to become the winningest in school history with a .556 winning percentage.  The Bonnies have been a middling A10 program since the 70s.  That's just objective fact.  Forget comparing them to UB even, just look at St. Bonaventure in a vacuum.  They play in a multiple bid conference, and have made the tournament 3 times since the 1970s.  3 times in the last 40 years.  In the last two decades the Bonnies are BELOW .500 in the A10 How can you even justify saying the Bonnies are anything but a middling A10 program?

See?  We're both right.  Bonnies fans overrate themselves today because of success in the 1970s, and UB fans are too few and far between with little history or tradition.  How about we work on building that winning tradition and gaining more fans and Bona's works on being more than a team that wins the A10 once every 20 years, and then both programs play each other every year, and develop a real rivalry.

• Like 3

Bonnies have a losing record yet their fans turn out and think they can win any game. I wish we had fans like that. 

We we all know Bonas is weak this year but everyone was saying how they were worried about the game.  Really?  A sub 300 team with a losing record scares a top-20 team?

It’s clear that this is probably the biggest with for fans since the drubbing of Arizona. It helps kill that little brother role UB has been in. 

The shit MAC has a longer history than the A10.  Tournament wins by current members while also in the conference is closer than you’d think.  A10 is trending down while the MAC with more football money coming in now and more investment on the BBall side is trending up.  UB, Toledo and Ball State all could win the A10 this year.  Check the rankings, the MAC is the better conference this year.  Yes, the A10 has been the better conference for 2 decades running, but check back in 10 years.

16 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

The shit MAC has a longer history than the A10.  Tournament wins by current members while also in the conference is closer than you’d think.  A10 is trending down while the MAC with more football money coming in now and more investment on the BBall side is trending up.  UB, Toledo and Ball State all could win the A10 this year.  Check the rankings, the MAC is the better conference this year.  Yes, the A10 has been the better conference for 2 decades running, but check back in 10 years.

ehhhhhh.  Listen some years the MAC has a good showing and can rival the A10 in quality.  This may be one of those years.  But the MAC is a perennial one bid league and is usually in the middle of the top half of mid-major conferences.  A10 is usually better and maybe more importantly gets much more respect nationally.  There's nothing wrong was admitting that the MAC just isn't a very good conference in general.  Makes what UB is doing even more impressive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UBigbobby said:

We're both right though.  

UB does play in a crappy conference, has no athletics history or tradition, and has poor support for being a 20,000 student school.  I'm a proud UB alum and all of those things as true.  Which isn't really surprising considering the program didn't even go D1 until 1994 and has been a mid-major since then.  Hopefully all of that changes, but as of right now, it's all true.

However it is also objectively true that the Bonnies have not been much of anything since the 1970s.  The program went from 1978-2000 without a single tournament appearance.  Since then, from 2000-today they've had as many as UB has had in the last 4 years alone.   The Bonnies coach is going to become the winningest in school history with a .556 winning percentage.  The Bonnies have been a middling A10 program since the 70s.  That's just objective fact.  Forget comparing them to UB even, just look at St. Bonaventure in a vacuum.  They play in a multiple bid conference, and have made the tournament 3 times since the 1970s.  3 times in the last 40 years.  In the last two decades the Bonnies are BELOW .500 in the A10 How can you even justify saying the Bonnies are anything but a middling A10 program?

See?  We're both right.  Bonnies fans overrate themselves today because of success in the 1970s, and UB fans are too few and far between with little history or tradition.  How about we work on building that winning tradition and gaining more fans and Bona's works on being more than a team that wins the A10 once every 20 years, and then both programs play each other every year, and develop a real rivalry.

This is spot on. Not that most Bona fans recognize this. They have great fan support. They’re in the stands whether they’re a tourney team or not. They’re loyal though many are disgusting in their use of foul language. It surprises me that the Franciscans don’t try and rein that needless stuff in and are not embarrassed by it. 

23 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

Dude, I would like to think you’re right but what really matters is getting quad 1 and 2 games.  

Quadrant 1: Home 1-30; Neutral 1-50; Away 1-75
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75; Neutral 51-100; Away 76-135

top-75 teams:

MAC -1 (Just UB so no one else to play)

A10 -3 (Davidson, Dayton, Saint Louis)

top-135 teams not in top-75:

MAC - 3 (Toledo, Ball state, Akron)

A10 - 4 (vcu, st Joseph, Rhode Island, UMass)

The A10 will give more respect than the MAC. the reason the A10 is down in the rankings is because they have a few teams with really bad years—like 0-10 Lasalle—pulling the conference down.

but the committee doesn’t care about conference rankings  they care about quad 1 and 2 wins.

right not UB has one quad 1 (wvu) and one quad 2 (San Francisco).  But more chances to come with Marquette and cuse. Maybe even San Francisco will upset Gonzaga and move to quad 1 .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UB85 said:

They’re loyal though many are disgusting in their use of foul language. It surprises me that the Franciscans don’t try and rein that needless stuff in and are not embarrassed by it. 

Before we get all high and mighty over the swearing by the student section, recall that during the first OU game after the 2005 MAC championship game, there were long stretches of chants of "F Ohio".  I do recall Reggie taking the mic a few times before games encouraging the support, but discouraging the cursing and off-color heckling.

And I'm not defending the cursing- I thought it was dumb back then when I was in the middle of the Student Section, and still think it is dumb, especially now that I have kids with me at most games.

3 minutes ago, ubxcretired said:

Before we get all high and mighty over the swearing by the student section, recall that during the first OU game after the 2005 MAC championship game, there were long stretches of chants of "F Ohio".  I do recall Reggie taking the mic a few times before games encouraging the support, but discouraging the cursing and off-color heckling.

And I'm not defending the cursing- I thought it was dumb back then when I was in the middle of the Student Section, and still think it is dumb, especially now that I have kids with me at most games.

I agree. I don’t like it but I have heard it at many college games. 

I am am not about to clutch my pearls and pretend I am shocked by it just to attack Bonas. Isn’t the win enough?

My point isn’t that the MAC is better right now, just that it is trending up while the A10 is trending down.  If the conferences were to combine right now the top team would be from the MAC, the bottom 3 would be A10 teams.  If UB finishes ooc with only one loss, their at large chances could survive a loss at BG, can you say the same about a St Louis loss at LaSalle or Fordham or GW?

Cureent records:

A10 67-60

MAC 61-35

Edited by MillenniumBull

2 hours ago, ubxcretired said:

I root for Wisconsin football as a secondary team. Their student section is one of the best in the nation. Except they have a chant where they yell “Fuck you” and “Eat shit” to each other. Yes, the student section splits in half and swears at each other, and you can hear it on TV.

I’m indifferent to the Bona profanity. I’m not a fan of it but at the same time it’s a college game with college students. If you’re going to do it at least win or call it a rivalry.

• Jeseph unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, MillenniumBull said:

My point isn’t that the MAC is better right now, just that it is trending up while the A10 is trending down.  If the conferences were to combine right now the top team would be from the MAC, the bottom 3 would be A10 teams.  If UB finishes ooc with only one loss, their at large chances could survive a loss at BG, can you say the same about a St Louis loss at LaSalle or Fordham or GW?

Cureent records:

A10 67-60

MAC 61-35

One year doesn't make a trend though.

La Salle was in the Sweet 16 five years ago.  They just had a coaching change and hired Nova's top assistant.  Yeah, they aren't good, but I wouldn't say it is a trend. 

And yes, Saint Louis could lose to a bottom A10 team and still get an at-large.  Let's not forget that Bonas lost to Niagara last year who was a sub-200 team and Bonas still got an at-large bid.

Let's be honest here.  People around the country are talking about Buffalo specifically because they are a MAC team.  It is because people expect such little from a MAC team.  If it was some A10 team, people wouldn't be talking the same way.

The conferences are still significantly different.  The MAC is a competitive league with good teams but it lacks the number of top-100 teams needed to really show how good teams are.  Conference tournaments is much harder when there are many more top-100 teams.  It is the reason Gonzaga didn't get respect for so long.  The line was always "Big deal, the WCC only has a tough matchup in the finals, everyone else is expected to be a blowout."

Look. I don't want to defend the A10 and Bonas but have watched a lot of college basketball.  I would love to be playing A10 teams.  Can you imagine UMass or St Joes coming to Alumni?  That would be awesome.

Records mean very little.  Especially at this point in the season with very different non-conference schedules.

You can't compare records. 

Do you really think 5-3 Akron is better than 5-4 Dayton?  Or 9-1 Toledo is better than 6-2 Saint Louis?  

I would say 5-3 Ball State is significantly better than 7-2 Fordham, wouldn't you?

These are their results.  I have highlighted each of their best win and their worst loss.

Akron:

- W Youngstown ST

- W Chicago ST

- L Clemson

- L Illinois ST

- W Bona

- W Alabama ST

- W Detroit Mercy

- L Purdue Fort Wayne

Dayton:

- W North FL

- W Coppin ST

- W Purdue Fort Wayne

- W Butler

- L Virginia

- L Oklahoma

- L Mississippi ST

- W Detroit

- L Auburn

Toledo:

- W Oakland
- W Wilberforce
- L Wright ST
- W FL Gulf Coast
- W Louisiana
- W UC Irvine
- W North Alabama
- W Cleveland ST
- W Detroit Mercy
- W Marshall

Saint Louis:

- W SE Missouri ST
- W Troy
- W North Alabama
- W Seton Hall
- L Pitt
- W Central Arkansas
- W Butler
- L Southern Illinois

Ball State:

- W Indiana ST

- L Purdue

- L Virginia Tech

- L Alabama

- W Appalachian ST

- W Evansville

- W Tiffin

- W IUPUI

- W Loyola Chi

Fordham

- W City College NY

- L Houston Baptist

- W FL International

- W Youngstown ST

- W Columbia

- W Alabama A&M

- W Manhattan

- L Maine

- W Rutgers

Edited by dutchcountry7

2 hours ago, rma said:

I root for Wisconsin football as a secondary team. Their student section is one of the best in the nation. Except they have a chant where they yell “Fuck you” and “Eat shit” to each other. Yes, the student section splits in half and swears at each other, and you can hear it on TV.

I’m indifferent to the Bona profanity. I’m not a fan of it but at the same time it’s a college game with college students. If you’re going to do it at least win or call it a rivalry.

If you have to yell F this and F that then you’re pretty dumb bunch of fans. I didn’t go this game. But the AP article being read throughout the country prominently says  profanity-chanting fans. Beyond the obvious of it being fit only for drunkards and being vulgar Bona gets a black eye in the national press. I don’t see how you want your school known to be that way especially at a catholic university. I’m not a fan of the “you suck” chant when an opposing player fouls out either. I don’t think I’m high and mighty. Just think it’s disgusting and terribly inappropriate.  

Good game yesterday against the Bonnies. Man it is fun watching this team when they are cooking. Huge step up from Graves and Harris. It seems like Harris is just about back to last season.

A shout out to the freshman as well. Against LeMoyne I called out Williams but this game he looked more solid all around (defense and offense). Going into a hostile environment like the RC can be intimidating for a freshman and they didn't seem phased. 

It was the first time I have been the RC. I thought it was a cool place. Makes you wonder how loud it would be if we had something similar. Passionate fans in Olean. It is always great to see passionate fan-bases.

9-0 baby

5 hours ago, ubxcretired said:

Agreed.  No one is very innocent in all this, nor probably all that offended.  My point is merely - if your vision statement, your professed values and reason to be, is to live by that higher standard, it's hypocritical to be acting like the people you profess to stand above.  If you say you're better, you have to act like it.

6 hours ago, ubxcretired said:

To be fair, Ohio is the worst and we're awesome. If you're gonna be vulgar at least be accurate

• Like 3

21 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

One year doesn't make a trend though.

La Salle was in the Sweet 16 five years ago.  They just had a coaching change and hired Nova's top assistant.  Yeah, they aren't good, but I wouldn't say it is a trend. 

And yes, Saint Louis could lose to a bottom A10 team and still get an at-large.  Let's not forget that Bonas lost to Niagara last year who was a sub-200 team and Bonas still got an at-large bid.

Let's be honest here.  People around the country are talking about Buffalo specifically because they are a MAC team.  It is because people expect such little from a MAC team.  If it was some A10 team, people wouldn't be talking the same way.

The conferences are still significantly different.  The MAC is a competitive league with good teams but it lacks the number of top-100 teams needed to really show how good teams are.  Conference tournaments is much harder when there are many more top-100 teams.  It is the reason Gonzaga didn't get respect for so long.  The line was always "Big deal, the WCC only has a tough matchup in the finals, everyone else is expected to be a blowout."

Look. I don't want to defend the A10 and Bonas but have watched a lot of college basketball.  I would love to be playing A10 teams.  Can you imagine UMass or St Joes coming to Alumni?  That would be awesome.

Records mean very little.  Especially at this point in the season with very different non-conference schedules.

You can't compare records. 

Do you really think 5-3 Akron is better than 5-4 Dayton?  Or 9-1 Toledo is better than 6-2 Saint Louis?  

I would say 5-3 Ball State is significantly better than 7-2 Fordham, wouldn't you?

These are their results.  I have highlighted each of their best win and their worst loss.

Akron:

- W Youngstown ST

- W Chicago ST

- L Clemson

- L Illinois ST

- W Bona

- W Alabama ST

- W Detroit Mercy

- L Purdue Fort Wayne

Dayton:

- W North FL

- W Coppin ST

- W Purdue Fort Wayne

- W Butler

- L Virginia

- L Oklahoma

- L Mississippi ST

- W Detroit

- L Auburn

Toledo:

- W Oakland
- W Wilberforce
- L Wright ST
- W FL Gulf Coast
- W Louisiana
- W UC Irvine
- W North Alabama
- W Cleveland ST
- W Detroit Mercy
- W Marshall

Saint Louis:

- W SE Missouri ST
- W Troy
- W North Alabama
- W Seton Hall
- L Pitt
- W Central Arkansas
- W Butler
- L Southern Illinois

Ball State:

- W Indiana ST

- L Purdue

- L Virginia Tech

- L Alabama

- W Appalachian ST

- W Evansville

- W Tiffin

- W IUPUI

- W Loyola Chi

Fordham

- W City College NY

- L Houston Baptist

- W FL International

- W Youngstown ST

- W Columbia

- W Alabama A&M

- W Manhattan

- L Maine

- W Rutgers

Not a one year trend.  I think your forgetting how good the A10 used to be.  I’m talking 1 seeds in the tourney good. They’ve been raided, filled in with some decent programs sure, but the product is diluted.  Women’s BBall has already far overtaken the A10.  The men aren’t there yet for sure, give it another decade or two and I think people will be thinking, remember when we wanted in the A10? thank god that never happened.  Small privates are dinosaurs in the college sports landscape.  The bigger dinosaurs are the last to die.

and I actually do think Toledo is slightly better than St. Louis. I’ve only seen each team play once so far and that wright st loss is a head scratcher for sure, but when I watched St Louis play vs SH (I try to see every potential NCAA team at least once, reason why my work bracket pool gets smaller every year, I won 4 of the last 5) they turn the ball over like it’s their job and average at best offense.  Nutrual court, I’d bet Toledo.  UT seems to get better every game they play, and maybe WS just caught them early enough in the season coupled with a bad night.  Toledo’s OOC schedule is weak for sure.  They have 3 games Penn, Ball st then UB.  We will know where they stand better by then.

1 hour ago, MillenniumBull said:

Small privates are dinosaurs in the college sports landscape.  The bigger dinosaurs are the last to die.

gonzaga basketball is pretty much the direction that every mid major, including ub, dreams to have as a model for their program. and they arrived there pretty recently.

9 minutes ago, ed said:

gonzaga basketball is pretty much the direction that every mid major, including ub, dreams to have as a model for their program. and they arrived there pretty recently.

Without getting into financials, I love the Gonzaga model.  And their model has hinged on Few remaining as head coach.  Which is why its vital Oats remains at UB.  Which I guess brings us back to financials.  Ugh my head.

What do you guys think about leaving the MAC for a better conference?  And what conference would it be?  

2 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

Not a one year trend.  I think your forgetting how good the A10 used to be.  I’m talking 1 seeds in the tourney good. They’ve been raided, filled in with some decent programs sure, but the product is diluted.  Women’s BBall has already far overtaken the A10.  The men aren’t there yet for sure, give it another decade or two and I think people will be thinking, remember when we wanted in the A10? thank god that never happened.  Small privates are dinosaurs in the college sports landscape.  The bigger dinosaurs are the last to die.

and I actually do think Toledo is slightly better than St. Louis. I’ve only seen each team play once so far and that wright st loss is a head scratcher for sure, but when I watched St Louis play vs SH (I try to see every potential NCAA team at least once, reason why my work bracket pool gets smaller every year, I won 4 of the last 5) they turn the ball over like it’s their job and average at best offense.  Nutrual court, I’d bet Toledo.  UT seems to get better every game they play, and maybe WS just caught them early enough in the season coupled with a bad night.  Toledo’s OOC schedule is weak for sure.  They have 3 games Penn, Ball st then UB.  We will know where they stand better by then.

No doubt losing Xavier and Temple hurt, but they added Davidson and VCU.  Those aren't as good but they aren't slouches. 

I would love to have Davidson or VCU come to Alumni!  I suspect the A10 remains a multi-bid league. 

I don't follow women's basketball.