Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Are UB and St. Bonaventure rivals?!?

Is UB/Bona a rivalry game?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is UB/Bona a rivalry game?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/09/2018 at 05:04 AM

3 hours ago, John said:

Wonder why Bona  administration allows that??? You can shout a lot of things but does it have to be that type of language.  I guess I am in the minority on not to use foul language. Go Bulls!!!

What do you think they should go about it?

Seriously?  If UB students did it what would they do?

Its not like they would ban the students. 

UB students used to.  When I was a student back in the late 2000s UB had a reputation of being a brutal place to play, largely because of the students who took things way past normal cheering.  I vividly remember some of the horrible shit many of us used to scream at the opposing bench (which was in front of the student section).  Not proud of it, but college kids are going to be college kids when they get passionate.  However it's an even worse look for Bona's being a Catholic school, but they probably have more pressing matters, like shifting around rapey priests and all.

I would consider Bonna a "local" rival. We're all part of the Buffalo Big 4. However who wins and loses between UB, Niagara, Conesius, and Bonna doesn't really matter. It's fun to chitchat about with alumni from other schools and one up each other, but in the end because they're in different conferences, it doesn't matter that much. I definitely pull for the other big 4 schools to do well, when they aren't playing UB. There's not so much hate to the other big 4 schools than that they're all UB's little brothers.

I would think UB's main rivals are Ohio, Kent State & Akron. They seem to be the other MAC schools that are also regularly good in basketball over the last 20 years. The games between UB and especially Ohio & Kent State tend to be pretty intense and tend to get a good crowd. In football, UB has been so inconsistent that there really isn't one, unless you count possibly Temple or UConn. 

• 2 years later...
On 12/11/2018 at 1:27 PM, RochBull said:

I would consider Bonna a "local" rival. We're all part of the Buffalo Big 4. However who wins and loses between UB, Niagara, Conesius, and Bonna doesn't really matter. It's fun to chitchat about with alumni from other schools and one up each other, but in the end because they're in different conferences, it doesn't matter that much. I definitely pull for the other big 4 schools to do well, when they aren't playing UB. There's not so much hate to the other big 4 schools than that they're all UB's little brothers.

I would think UB's main rivals are Ohio, Kent State & Akron. They seem to be the other MAC schools that are also regularly good in basketball over the last 20 years. The games between UB and especially Ohio & Kent State tend to be pretty intense and tend to get a good crowd. In football, UB has been so inconsistent that there really isn't one, unless you count possibly Temple or UConn. 

Canisius and Niagara are the same conference but if they have a rivalry they don’t really show it. Bona  and UB are the only good local D1  teams for many years so naturally it’s more fun to watch them play each other than the other local teams. Sometimes I forget the other schools even have teams.

2 hours ago, yussi1870 said:

Canisius and Niagara are the same conference but if they have a rivalry they don’t really show it. Bona  and UB are the only good local D1  teams for many years so naturally it’s more fun to watch them play each other than the other local teams. Sometimes I forget the other schools even have teams.

Canisius and Niagara do have a rivalry.  It even has a name, which is more than we can say for any of UB's "rivalries".  Battle of the Bridge

On 12/9/2018 at 12:43 AM, UBigbobby said:

It hasn't been.  It's been one sided in Bona's favor, and they've only played like 14 times ever.  Unlike Niagara and Canisius who UB plays just about every year, until a few years ago UB and Bona's hadn't.  If UB can build on this and Bona's can find a way to be relevant more than once every 40 years, I hope it turns into one.  There are a lot of Bonnies fans and alums in Buffalo that like to shoot their mouths off about being the only good program in WNY because they were pretty good in the 70s.  Well, that's becoming less and less relevant with age and with the rise of UB.

I believe it can become a rivalry especially if both teams can become relevant to local and national fans. Years ago it was Bona in the national spotlight but only over the last number of years has Bona been very successful in the A-10 and of course over the last six plus years has UB been successful nationally. We just have to enjoy these years for what they are. Next year with Bona losing all their star players and UB losing their main starters who knows what the teams will look like. On another note we have to enjoy the UB women’s team because it feels a little like what happened to both Hurley and Oats leaving for big time jobs that it could happen to Coach Jack getting offers for coaching jobs especially if the would win the MAC and go to the tourney again. Go Bulls!!!

• Like 1