Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bonnies fan here

Hey guys. Congrats on the win. Not many teams can come into the Reilly Center and leave with a convincing win. You guys made Bona work for every bucket.

The refs were whistle happy early which prevented any flow and zapped the energy out of the building. 

I have a lot of respect for your program. That drubbing of Arizona last year was unbelievable. Clearly, Oats has kept the momentum going. Your success is great for the community. Basketball is an afterthought in this area. That needs to change. Keep climbing the rankings and opening eyes. Syracuse and Marquette are beatable. 

Good luck the rest of the way. See you next year! 

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 12/8/2018 at 10:49 PM, Byron Mulkey said:

Hey guys. Congrats on the win. Not many teams can come into the Reilly Center and leave with a convincing win. You guys made Bona work for every bucket.

The refs were whistle happy early which prevented any flow and zapped the energy out of the building. 

I have a lot of respect for your program. That drubbing of Arizona last year was unbelievable. Clearly, Oats has kept the momentum going. Your success is great for the community. Basketball is an afterthought in this area. That needs to change. Keep climbing the rankings and opening eyes. Syracuse and Marquette are beatable. 

Good luck the rest of the way. See you next year! 

Opposite story this year I think!

9 hours ago, Erie County said:

Thats a very similar loss to the SFA one we just had. They can't have that happen at home if you are SBU. That team has serious flaws. They don't score well enough to compete with the best teams and there are stretches that Lofton is their only player. They are going to have some rough A10 games

While I agree partially, I don’t think the A10, save maybe five teams max, is good enough to make Bonnies fans worry about being not being a top 4 team.

Richmond, SLU, Dayton, VCU and maybe URI are the top teams in the A10 along with Bona and all have serious flaws themselves.

Still think SBU can go 12-6 or 13-5 in A10 play. 

Bona won’t run into another shooter like Green in A10 play. SBU always lays a dude when students are on break, and I think they need some humbling after the Charleston Classic.

While it was a good accomplishment and nice PR for the school, they were favored in every matchup, and it is still just a tournament in November.

Edited by RocChiTown

9 hours ago, Erie County said:

Thats a very similar loss to the SFA one we just had. They can't have that happen at home if you are SBU. That team has serious flaws. They don't score well enough to compete with the best teams and there are stretches that Lofton is their only player. They are going to have some rough A10 games

St. Bonaventure is a very good team and should win the Atlantic 10 but do have some legitimate concerns. Like Buffalo, they have a short bench and can be stagnant at times. They’ve already have two double-digit comebacks against Canisius and Clemson. They get off to slow starts far too often. They should be a tournament team no matter what but it’ll be interesting to see what they do against UConn and Virginia Tech.

Bona will be fine even after the loss.  They're an elite defensive team who had an off-night against a team (namely one player) that was absolutely unconscious from 3.  They won't run into another team again this year who will shoot 50% from 3 against them.  UNI was well-coached - moved the ball well, had a big who can shoot 3s to stretch the floor, didn't turn the ball over, always made the extra pass.  The thin bench is a concern, but as we see with teams like UB, Ohio, etc., that's not terribly uncommon right now.

The A-10 is comparatively weak this year compared to previous seasons, and Bona should lose no more than like 4 games in conference.  You never know, but I'd be surprised if they didn't somewhat roll through the conference this season.  Say what you will about early Kenpom rankings, but the 2nd-ranked team in the A-10 is only #73 (Richmond).  Bonnies are likely far and away the best team in the A-10 this year.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 3:14 PM, yussi1870 said:

Let’s get conversation going!

Yussi!   I appreciate you coming back and participating in the board discussion.  You have been a member of this board for many, many years.  Even a new picture.  Your perspectives and input on all issues are always welcome.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, UBlearns said:

Bona will be fine even after the loss.  They're an elite defensive team who had an off-night against a team (namely one player) that was absolutely unconscious from 3.  They won't run into another team again this year who will shoot 50% from 3 against them.  UNI was well-coached - moved the ball well, had a big who can shoot 3s to stretch the floor, didn't turn the ball over, always made the extra pass.  The thin bench is a concern, but as we see with teams like UB, Ohio, etc., that's not terribly uncommon right now.

The A-10 is comparatively weak this year compared to previous seasons, and Bona should lose no more than like 4 games in conference.  You never know, but I'd be surprised if they didn't somewhat roll through the conference this season.  Say what you will about early Kenpom rankings, but the 2nd-ranked team in the A-10 is only #73 (Richmond).  Bonnies are likely far and away the best team in the A-10 this year.

I am very interested to see how Mballa v. Osunniyi round two goes. 

Two years ago at Alumni Arena, Mballa seemed to have his way with OO and got the Bona big man to foul out pretty early in the game. 

19 hours ago, UBlearns said:

Say what you will about early Kenpom rankings, but the 2nd-ranked team in the A-10 is only #73 (Richmond).  Bonnies are likely far and away the best team in the A-10 this year.

That’s not the whole picture.  

#73 Richmond 

#80 Rhode Island

#81 Davidson

#91 Saint Louis

#94 VCU

Any time you have a top-100 team half way through OOC you have a contender for NCAA /NIT.  Those are all solid teams. There are enough games remaining to raise your standing 30 spots. 

There is also #107 Dayton who is coming off wins over Miami FL, Kansas, and Belmont.  

I am not convinced they are far and away the beat team in the A10. 

They are going to have losses for sure.  I wouldn’t be shocked if the A10 is a three bid league. 

On 11/29/2021 at 9:47 AM, dutchcountry7 said:

They are going to have losses for sure.  I wouldn’t be shocked if the A10 is a three bid league. 

Bonnies schedule for the A10 is pretty rough this year, too. It's early, but they could have nine total games against Q1/Q2 clubs. 

I'll be shocked if Bona loses less than five games in conference.