Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

SIU game will be bigger than people think

It's the rare non-conference home-and-home series within the same season. 

Southern Illinois has been solid this year. They're 7-3 overall, on a 5-game winning streak with wins over Tulsa, St. Louis and Colorado State. I believe we're looking at a 20-win Missouri Valley Conference contender. That'll carry some weight on the resume come March. Not as much as Syracuse and Marquette but a decent amount nonetheless.

The Salukis also stand in the way of UB getting to 10-0 heading into the Carrier Dome. Make no mistake about it, this game is big. Let's hope the fans turn out at Alumni Arena.

Here's my weekly Big 4 Update/Podcast: Bulls take down Bona, prepping for big game vs. Southern Illinois

This is the epitome of a trap game. Coming off a big road victory and right before a big road game against Cuse. SIU is playing well since we last played them and now they have actual game tape and experience playing us. This is another test. A game that can’t be taken lightly. 

Something to keep an eye on...SIU’s best player (Fletcher), who didn’t play against us the first time, was suspended for their last game. It’s not known how long he will be suspended for and if he will miss the game against us. I’d like to get the best shot, but that’s just me.

6 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Something to keep an eye on...SIU’s best player (Fletcher), who didn’t play against us the first time, was suspended for their last game. It’s not known how long he will be suspended for and if he will miss the game against us. I’d like to get the best shot, but that’s just me.

Agreed. Let SIU bring their best shot. It’s scary, but I don’t think we’ve even remotely seen what the Bulls are capable of yet.

I don't see this as a trap game. We scheduled them because we knew they'd be good and we've already played them once. There should be no mystery in this one. I'm not saying I absolutely expect them to win (SIU is good) but if they looked surprised or unprepared against SIU I'd definitely be disappointed.  

The more I think about the home and home non conference deal the more I like it & hope we continue scheduling the same way. If playing a non-conference tournament helps us prepare for the MAC tournament then this should help us prepare for the second time we play conference opponents. I hope the coaches are sick of game film by the time we tip off. 

Edited by BasketBull

They play Murray State tonight on ESPN+ also, will be a good game to watch. Murray State has one of the most underrated guards in the nation, Ja Morant. Will be interesting to see is Fletcher plays tonight. SIU's coach has been hush-hush on how long he'll be suspended for and the reasoning behind his suspension. 

I want SIU's best players on the floor, we need to be tested with every team's best. 

25 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

This is the epitome of a trap game. Coming off a big road victory and right before a big road game against Cuse. SIU is playing well since we last played them and now they have actual game tape and experience playing us. This is another test. A game that can’t be taken lightly. 

Yeah.  After everyone is pumped up over that big win at Bonas.  The team needs to remember that though it seemed like Bonas was a really good team and we all know it was really big to get a win over them, they are only rated #256 in the NCAA NET rankings.  SIU, Cuse, and Marquette would all blow out Bonas too.   These are big games that can't be taken lightly. 

We need a few more wins to secure that at-large slot.  The at-large slot is critical. 

5 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Yeah.  After everyone is pumped up over that big win at Bonas.  The team needs to remember that though it seemed like Bonas was a really good team and we all know it was really big to get a win over them, they are only rated #256 in the NCAA NET rankings.  SIU, Cuse, and Marquette would all blow out Bonas too.   These are big games that can't be taken lightly. 

We need a few more wins to secure that at-large slot.  The at-large slot is critical. 

Don't let Bonas fans know that......

6 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Bonas fans, well, A-10 fans, think they're a multi bid league this year too lol......

That's not too crazy.  They have four teams in the top-75.  Usually top-50 teams are in.  They have multiple teams flirting with it.  those teams separate themselves from the pack, I wouldn't be surprised if they had two or three in again.  But one of those teams is NOT Bonas.  They are the typical A10 powers--Davidson, Dayton, Saint Louis, and VCU. 

56 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

The more I think about the home and home non conference deal the more I like it & hope we continue scheduling the same way.

Absolutely agree with this. I've loved the schedule so far. Tough road trips, a tournament, a few marquee opponents. One thing is for sure - we'll be battle tested by the time MAC play begins.

I also agree that this is not a game to be taken lightly (and i don't think it will be). I'm really hoping the public shows up big for this one. We'll be ranked 17th or better, playing an 8-3 or 7-4 team with a little history. Let's keep winning at home and start winning over the fans that are waiting to be had!