Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

SIU @ #14 UB - (12/15 - 2:00pm ET)

Kevin

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

First channel 2 would have to dump out of Premier League coverage.  Not sure the network would be happy with them doing that.  Channel 4 will have CBS college basketball coverage on.  Channel 7 will have bowl games on.  Local channels have very little options to be able to show a local sporting event over their obligations to show network programming.  YOu need a perfect storm to be able to have a game on local TV like the football game this year.  It does not appear that lightning is going to strike twice this year.

The other big thing that could work attendance (which putting ht e game on local TV will hurt walk up ticket buying) is the date.  It is the last Saturday before Christmas and it is huge shopping day.

Soccer...yes, I am sure the eyes of WNY will be glued to their screens for the West Ham - Fulham matchup (the story lines are endless...can Fulham get out of the drop zone?)

I know...the affiliates are contractually obligated to show it, but it is not like they are dumping any of the Big 6 teams.  They could do it...

By the way...a shopping tip for you:  Christmas is Dec 25th, so you actually have two more weekends to shop.

55 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

We have to stop making excuses.  Now is the time for sell outs.  If Alumni can't get sold out with UB being ranked and playing a tough opponent then what are we even doing here?  Might as well pack up and go home.  Seriously, Alumni isn't big.  This game is a sell out. 

I completely agree - except on the pack up and go home. This would be embarrassing if we aren’t at or around capacity.

Weekday games are hard to make, okay here’s one on the weekend. We played a D2 school last time, here’s a decent mid major. It’s at 2 in the afternoon, not 7 at night. Sabres aren’t home, or even playing at the same time  

I give a small pass if we don’t completely sell out, since students would give us a good boost, but I suspect most will be home. But we should be able to find 6k people in the area to show up. 

9 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Soccer...yes, I am sure the eyes of WNY will be glued to their screens for the West Ham - Fulham matchup (the story lines are endless...can Fulham get out of the drop zone?)

I know...the affiliates are contractually obligated to show it, but it is not like they are dumping any of the Big 6 teams.  They could do it...

By the way...a shopping tip for you:  Christmas is Dec 25th, so you actually have two more weekends to shop.

Forgot about the the following weekend because I will not be able to shop it because I will be at the bowl game and flying around the country.

12 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Their (limited) board expects him to be out of the Murray St. game tomorrow but "hopes" he'll be back on Saturday. There are, seemingly, still no details on the reason or duration of suspension.

Their coach has been super hush hush on the suspension, refuses to give a reason why and how long. 

2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Rome wasn't built in one day. Relax. 

How about after three NCAA bids in four years?

How about after first ever top-15 national ranking?

How about after nearly selling out for MAC games?

How about after people were just a month ago commenting on here about how Alumni Arena should be made bigger?

It is built.  Now the people need to come. 

1 minute ago, dutchcountry7 said:

How about after three NCAA bids in four years?

How about after first ever top-15 national ranking?

How about after nearly selling out for MAC games?

How about after people were just a month ago commenting on here about how Alumni Arena should be made bigger?

It is built.  Now the people need to come. 

Man, 4 years of success isn't shit. Especially in an area where basketball is a complete afterthought, dominated by the Bills and Sabres, and with no college sports atmosphere in the Buffalo area. We as fans have to be patient. 

21 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Man, 4 years of success isn't shit. Especially in an area where basketball is a complete afterthought, dominated by the Bills and Sabres, and with no college sports atmosphere in the Buffalo area. We as fans have to be patient. 

FIVE YEARS OF SUCCESS.

We are on FIVE YEARS.

The school graduates like 6,000 people a year.  And there are over a million people who live in the area.  Getting 6,000 people to a game shouldn't be hard.

23,000 showed up to see the football team play Army following a 6-6 season.  Don't tell me people don't turn out without years of success! 

If Bonas can sell out a Buffalo game then Buffalo can sell out a Buffalo game! 

9 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

FIVE YEARS OF SUCCESS.

We are on FIVE YEARS.

The school graduates like 6,000 people a year.  And there are over a million people who live in the area.  Getting 6,000 people to a game shouldn't be hard.

23,000 showed up to see the football team play Army following a 6-6 season.  Don't tell me people don't turn out without years of success! 

5 years, okay, again, look at where we are located, man. We don't live in an area where there is college sports culture and tradition. UB is not known for being a sports school. The first time in school history that we are ranked in basketball and now some more people are paying attention, that's great. You talk about "well if the Bonnies can do it, so can we". Okay, but, how long have they been competitive in basketball for? Since the 70's? A real near 50 year head start in Olean. 

It's going to take more time.....5 years of success is nothing. You have to grasp that. This is Bills and Sabres country. Always has been. Oats' Bulls might be the first program to change that, change the culture around here. 

You're just not getting the big picture....at all.

51 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

FIVE YEARS OF SUCCESS.

We are on FIVE YEARS.

yeah...  but what does that success entail? enough to get fans excited about the program, and optimistic for the future.  but getting new fans to notice?  

there was 3 years of a solid team, that didn't have any signature wins, and got bounced the first round when they got into the dance. that, by itself, is not going to get people excited who didn't like the team before.  don't get me wrong, that's a good start, and we were obviously all psyched, but it's not going to get anybody talking who wasn't already into the program. 

then, last year, the big win over az obviously got people talking, but the regular season? same old - solid team, always losing the big name games.  this year, with our win over wvu - was that our first win over a ranked opponent? - and being ranked should obviously get people to sit up and take notice.  but really, that's less than a year (post season last year, continued success this year) of "hey, dummies, look at us!" type of success.

51 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

5 years, okay, again, look at where we are located, man. We don't live in an area where there is college sports culture and tradition. UB is not known for being a sports school. The first time in school history that we are ranked in basketball and now some more people are paying attention, that's great. You talk about "well if the Bonnies can do it, so can we". Okay, but, how long have they been competitive in basketball for? Since the 70's? A real near 50 year head start in Olean. 

It's going to take more time.....5 years of success is nothing. You have to grasp that. This is Bills and Sabres country. Always has been. Oats' Bulls might be the first program to change that, change the culture around here. 

Five seasons back:  Nearly a Sellout to watch UB Play Bowling Green in Basketball

Three seasons back:  Nearly a Sellout to watch UB Play Akron in Basketball

Last year: Nearly a sellout to watch UB Play Bonas in Basketball

Are you telling me that all those seats were filled with Akron, Bowling Green, and Bonas fans?

Edited by dutchcountry7

56 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

FIVE YEARS OF SUCCESS.

We are on FIVE YEARS.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and your willingness to say that we should be able to draw 6k for a game with at Top-15 team.  People can always find whatever excuse they want to say "no" or "this can't happen".   I've seen it many, many times in my career during the past 25 years.  Good on you for having reasonable expectations.

1 hour ago, BullsFan14 said:

Can you guys take this to another thread? I just want to talk SIU

Sorry.

If you want to look at a comparison St. John's has drawn 5,000 only once this year on campus in a 5,600 seat facility.  New York City is even less of a college sports town than Buffalo. 

I think the problem people have is that they see these facilities from big conference full of fans and think that UB should be like that.  Look at schools like Kansas State, Cal, Miami (Florida) or Virginia Tech* how do they draw?  These are non-basketball schools, in the Power 5 conferences, that are rarely  on TV at home.  The true blue bloods of college hoops will draw, the rest are in the same boat as UB trying to make a dent in the market and get people to games.

* I did not look up their attendance figures so I may be wrong, but it just a gut feeling that I have.

30 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

I think the problem people have is that they see these facilities from big conference full of fans and think that UB should be like that.  Look at schools like Kansas State, Cal, Miami (Florida) or Virginia Tech* how do they draw?  These are non-basketball schools, in the Power 5 conferences, that are rarely  on TV at home. 

* I did not look up their attendance figures so I may be wrong, but it just a gut feeling that I have.

Last year:

Kansas State - 8,711

California - 7,375

Miami - 7,117

Virginia Tech - 7,678

6 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Understand your point, but don't give Bona's nearly that much credit.  They haven't been good since the 70s.  Program is below .500 in the A10 the last 20 years.  They have a culture because there is a fuck all else to do in Olean but drink and go to basketball games.  

Remember that game 7 years ago when Jimmer Fredette and BYU came to Alumni Arena? The place was packed and absolutely rocking! UB gave them a run for their money before losing, but that team had a ton of BYU fans in the stands. I was flabbergasted by the number of out of state license plates that I saw in the parking lot that night. They beat Gonzaga in the NCAAs. UB should pack their arena EVERY game this year. If they don’t, shame on WNY and shame on UB.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

The SIU boards are now wondering if Fletcher is available for at least part of the Murray State game - I have a feeling he'll be playing on Saturday.

This was posted in the forum. Very interesting. Wonder if Fletcher broke a team rule and is being punished for it. Either way, I want him to play on Saturday, I want the challenge for UB.

1 minute ago, mikescherrer8 said:
Wonder if Fletcher broke a team rule and is being punished for it. Either way, I want him to play on Saturday, I want the challenge for UB.

I think he is on for Saturday. This tweet, in my opinion, confirms it. I thought with it being hush-hush he might have done something criminal related (Justin Moss anyone?). I agree it is probably a team rule violation. Either way, tonight would be a good game to follow for SIU vs. Murray State. SIU only being 3 point favorites.