Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#14 UB @ Marquette (12/21 - 8:30 ET)

Jeseph

I think an important factor of this game is containing Markus Howard.

In both of Marquette's losses this season, Howard had 18 points in each game, shooting 12-37 from the field. We need to shut him down. He's by no means a big guard standing at 5'11" 175 pounds. Jordan, Caruthers, and Graves need to be on him all game. The problem is, he's so darn shifty and quick. This will be by far the biggest test this season for Jordan or Caruthers. We just need to out muscle him like I know we are able to.

My other concern with the game is to continue established paint dominance with Perkins and McRae from the second half against Cuse. We need to shut down the Hauser brothers and we need to out muscle them. Hopefully we see the great rebounding from last game translate into this game as well. 

Offensively, I think they just need to continue to move the ball as well as they have, and get good look shots off. I think we may see a little better offensive performance considering they play mostly man defense, unless they switch to a zone. We also really need to just be smart with the ball and avoid as many turnovers as possible. And we should be afraid to get inside and force some fouls.

We're going to need other guys to step up like Graves, Caruthers, and McRae. We need a team performance tomorrow to stay with Marquette, they may be the best team we play this year with the quality wins they have and it's safe to say they are the best team in the Big East (St. John's is 11-0 with a weak OOC schedule).

Needless to say, I think we are able to win this game. All phases of our game need to be out on display.

• Like 1

Two things:

1.  No good effort attempts anymore like last year with Cincy, Cuse and TAMU.  40 minutes of hurt at Marquette.  Don't hope to win, expect to win.  This should be a more entertaining game if you like scoring.  

2.  If you wanted to wager on UB winning it all, you can.  800 to 1 odds.  Better than their Friday opponent.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaab/college-basketball-2019-national-title-odds-tracker-duke-kentucky-kansas

Edited by UB92
Linky

Each game we played this season had it's own importance for various reason.  Examples, beating WVU to set the stage, beating SIU on the day we got ranked, beating San Fran to win a tourney, beating Bona and Cuse on the road to establish that we are kings of NY. This game is no different.  This is the toughest and best opponent we will have played so far this season.  Could be the toughest until March.  This game will do more for us and our at large hopes and remaining ranked hopes that any other game.  

Marquette is clicking right now having beat a few top 25 teams already.  As previously said they could win the Big East.  A victory here will impress voters and the public more than the Cuse and WVU wins.  

I expect the guys to be a bit tired considering CJ played 39 minutes, Jordan 35, Harris 34 and Perkins 31 against Cuse.  Hopefully Dontay doesn't foul out and he and Graves have bounce back games.  If we can steal some minutes with the freshmen that would help too.  Another test is another opportunity, no let up.  Crazy we still haven't played our best game, this could be it bc I expect a more open free flowing game.  Bring the defense and we will be right in it.

13 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I expect the guys to be a bit tired considering CJ played 39 minutes, Jordan 35, Harris 34 and Perkins 31 against Cuse.

This has been a pretty grueling schedule to start the year, lots of road trips (including Belfast), lots of meaningful games, being ranked which leads to facing each opponent's best effort. The team gets a little rest after the game tomorrow, leave it all on the floor!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

Looks as if Marquette is favored by 2.5

I take this as a sign of "respect" from the betting community. That's a smaller line than Syracuse got and it's against a better team. I think people realized we're not some flash in the pan team on a hot streak.

• Like 3

It's weird because even Oats was on radio shows and podcasts alluding to a "loss". I think he's trying his best to keep fans in check that its nearly impossible to go 13-0 with your OOC schedule. I'm not sure how many times now that he's stated 12-1 is enough to get it done. 

Lunardi has Buffalo as a 3 seed in the East in the latest Bracketology! Syracuse is on the Next Four Out list, and West Virginia is nowhere to be seen. Marquette is a 6 seed in the Midwest. St Francis and San Francisco are in, but SIU is not.

Edited by squire17

I am sick of hearing how we supposedly have any kind of seed or at-large bid "locked up" right now.  Right now, we haven't done -bleep-.  The job is done when it's done, we're there when we're actually there.  And right now, not even mid season, we aren't anywhere for real.  There are still plenty of skeptics just waiting to say "I told you so" about UB (who were severely disappointed after Tuesday's game).  The job wasn't done at halftime in Detroit a few weeks ago, it wasn't done halfway through the second half in 2005, it's sure as heck not locked up before Christmas in 2018-19.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

I am sick of hearing how we supposedly have any kind of seed or at-large bid "locked up" right now.  Right now, we haven't done -bleep-.  The job is done when it's done, we're there when we're actually there.  And right now, not even mid season, we aren't anywhere for real.  There are still plenty of skeptics just waiting to say "I told you so" about UB (who were severely disappointed after Tuesday's game).  The job wasn't done at halftime in Detroit a few weeks ago, it wasn't done halfway through the second half in 2005, it's sure as heck not locked up before Christmas in 2018-19.

I mean I agree. 

It doesn't matter if they go 13-0 in OOC if they go 10-8 in conference. 

Oats has been preparing us for a loss and to not get down on the team. He's pretty confident his team goes 12-1 and 15-3 and 27-4 entering Cleveland. 

Marquette is house money to the UB Bulls. Win, and your top 10 lose and you probably don't drop a ton. 

14 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

They aren't going 10-8 in conference with a full roster. If they go 13-0 OOC, and say, 14-4 in conference, they would still have a high chance at an at-large.

No one would think that I'm just stating what Oats is saying on national TV and podcasts. He feels his team will be around 15-3. But is weirdly talking about this Marquette game. 

Edited by Kevin

I think coach is just outwardly trying to temper expectations from the fan base.  But in the locker room he has the team focused. I don't think for one second the team will come into this game and not give it their all and hang their hats on the fact that we beat Cuse, when this game will go a longer way to convincing everyone that we are for real.  The reality is we aren't going to win every game but just don't suffer any "bad losses".  Sad part is unless we lose to Toledo any loss in the conference is a bad loss.  But for sure nothing has been accomplished in terms of an at large for March but we've laid the ground work.  Tonight we can leave it on the floor.  I think win or lose tonight the real test will come in late January early February when we have to fight against being bored by conference play.

1 minute ago, rma said:

Conference play we can give Jeenathan and Rondo some decent minutes though.

One would hope.  Remember last year when Harris came on strong during conference play.  Also late in conference play when Graves started to play well and earn some minutes.  That's what we can hope for with Rondo, Williams and Fagan to a lesser extent.

8 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

i'm pretty sure you're sick of something mostly imaginary - where are you hearing that we have a seed or at large bid locked up?

I do love the betting line respect. Basically favored on nuetral court. Syracuse game helped us earn that.

Best team we'll probably play all year in regular season. Let's have some fun. Can't even imagine getting this win. Could never imagine the likelihood of winning this game but now it's very real. 

Its amazing how much more relaxed I am for this game especially after getting the Syracuse game.

2 hours ago, ed said:

i'm pretty sure you're sick of something mostly imaginary - where are you hearing that we have a seed or at large bid locked up?

From Bull Run - "For one, even with a loss to Marquette, I expect Buffalo to stay ranked in the AP Poll next week, which means barring a few ugly losses in MAC play, they could finish the season there. "

From the Buffalo News, a story on Dec 19 titled "Nate Oats thinks Bulls have set selves up for NCAA at-large berth"

Anyone who has come up to me to talk about how the Bulls are doing in the past week has mentioned this.

Squire had posted about where Lunardi has the Bulls and other teams right now.

The Bulls are doing, for them, historically good right now.  But a lot can happen from now till March and I'm uncomfortable putting out a "Mission Accomplished" banner before the job is even half done.

Edited by enrique14150