Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#14 UB @ Marquette (12/21 - 8:30 ET)

Jeseph

What a pathetic defensive performance. Can't rebound the ball, can't guard Howard. $0 points for Howard in the second half alone. This was just flat out embarrassing. There's no excuse for it anymore, we are a good enough team to beat Marquette. Shot the ball like shit, missing free throws, it's just silly. This was just not a good game for us. 

They need to learn from this loss, use it all motivation. Become stronger, become faster. Onto Canisius. 

Crazy enough, I still feel like we played one of our better games of the year tonight. Most of those Howard shots were highly contested. I'm speechless by that performance. Perkins and Graves hurt us pretty badly and our FT are sub-par, but otherwise we were very good. I'm proud of these guys. Let's plow the MAC.

Edited by UBminicre
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, UBminicre said:

Crazy enough, I still feel like we played one of our better games of the year tonight. Most of those Howard shots were highly contested. I'm speechless by that performance. Perkins and Graves hurt us pretty badly and our FT are sub-par, but otherwise we were very good. I'm proud of these guys. Let's plow the MAC.

Perkins was unfathomably bad. 

He was blocked 4 times, shot 1-9 and couldn't contain on defense.

At least Harris seems right? 

It was good to see Harris start to find his stroke. I do hope Segu and Willaims have a bigger impact come MAC play, we will need all hands on deck come March. 

62% from 3, 80% in the second half. That just doesn't happen, we caught them at a bad time.

I'm just as optimistic as I was before this game going into MAC play.

When you look at UB's stats tonight - I don't like the 40% shooting at all, but that 38% from three is probably normal.  85 points with our defense should get you a win most days.  Getting out-rebounded by 14 is not going to win you a game on the road, nor does giving up 103 points.  Howard is as good as advertised, even on the bench and ineffective most of the first half he was unbelievable in the second half.  I thought Harris had his shooting touch back tonight.  Too many missed layups by UB, and UB allowed too many second chance points by Marquette.  It feels like a combination of an opponent that just lit it up shooting (62% from three overall!  18 threes!) in the second half and the Bulls maybe being one tough road game too far.

Looking forward to annihilating Canisius next week.

Trying to figure out if this is the first good team they have played or if they just didn’t have a good game. 

If Syracuse, West Virginia, and San Francisco don’t have good seasons then the at large chances might be shot.  

The MAC is better than most years but I don’t think it will give any chances at big wins. 

Don't over think this one too much. There were a lot of good things in stretches from the Bulls. The game was close, even us in the lead until Howard went Jimmer/Curry in the last quarter of the game. It happened.

What can you do. I don't think they defended him horribly either. I think the Bulls were not terrible. Sure would have liked to see Perkins have a better game inside but the guards had some good nice stretches and Harris started well.

Loss on the road against very good scoring team. On to the next game. Im not mad. I wanted the Syracuse win the most and this would have been just a dream type win over another ranked team on the road. A very good team btw. Very very good teams lose these type of games on the road. And the Bulls are still a very good team.

Does it knock us from the rankings? Well voters look at scores. I dont really know. Its not like 100-60 either. I could see us around 23-25. Do I care? nah. I just wanna roll in the MAC. Next big test is Toledo.

A couple of things from a Marquette fan:

1.  When Markus Howard gets rolling, just get out of the way.  You cannot stop him.  Buffalo is not the first team he did this to.  Tonight he could have hit shots lying on his back in the parking lot.  (See picture below of his four-point play.)

2.  Scheduling was not in your favor.  You played three quality teams in a week with the last two on the road.  Marquette had a ten-day break for finals, followed by a tune-up against a bunny.  This might be a different game under different circumstances.  At least don't fret the margin.

3.  Your team is damn good.  Really, they might be the best we have played so far.  And we probably are the best you have played so far.  A couple shots not going in for Marquette in the first half and this might well be a different game.  At least not a blow-out.  It is tough to win on the road anywhere.  But most Marquette fans were impressed.  Your guys are quick, can shoot, and know what to do with the ball.  They are not five guys playing one-on-one.  I do not know what the competition looks like in the MAC this year, but usually there are some good, underrated teams in your league, and it is really hard to run the table in any conference.  But i sure like your chances.  Since we played tonight, we are unlikely to meet in the post-season.  I for one do not feel bad about that.  Good luck the rest of the way out, and enjoy this team.  It is worth enjoying.  

1097403660_Howard10.thumb.jpg.a6d4558c41891fd05ae806c29d45eb70.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, unclejohn said:

A couple of things from a Marquette fan:

1.  When Markus Howard gets rolling, just get out of the way.  You cannot stop him.  Buffalo is not the first team he did this to.  Tonight he could have hit shots lying on his back in the parking lot.  (See picture below of his four-point play.)

2.  Scheduling was not in your favor.  You played three quality teams in a week with the last two on the road.  Marquette had a ten-day break for finals, followed by a tune-up against a bunny.  This might be a different game under different circumstances.  At least don't fret the margin.

3.  Your team is damn good.  Really, they might be the best we have played so far.  And we probably are the best you have played so far.  A couple shots not going in for Marquette in the first half and this might well be a different game.  At least not a blow-out.  It is tough to win on the road anywhere.  But most Marquette fans were impressed.  Your guys are quick, can shoot, and know what to do with the ball.  They are not five guys playing one-on-one.  I do not know what the competition looks like in the MAC this year, but usually there are some good, underrated teams in your league, and it is really hard to run the table in any conference.  But i sure like your chances.  Since we played tonight, we are unlikely to meet in the post-season.  I for one do not feel bad about that.  Good luck the rest of the way out, and enjoy this team.  It is worth enjoying.  

1097403660_Howard10.thumb.jpg.a6d4558c41891fd05ae806c29d45eb70.jpg

Very well said Uncle John. And very well written. Very classy as well. You guys have a fantastic team. It’ll be a fun season for MU and bring back comparisons and memories of the glory days of one of college basketball’s greatest icons Al McGuire. If Al could speak to us know, I think he would say how happy he is and proud of the program he brought such positive and great notoriety. Lastly love Wojo. Always have. Good luck the rest of the season and bring some hardware back to Milwaukee. 

Edited by UB85

It's worth mentioning that Howard scored 45 against Kansas State earlier in the season, and Kansas State is rated as the second best defensive team in the country on kenpom. Between that, the game I just watched, and what Marquette fans have had to say, it's pretty clear that good defense can't stop Markus Howard when he's on. No shame in losing this one.

5 hours ago, ubfan75 said:

Yes, Howard was a magician. But I can’t get past the fact that we did not sign another big, physical player to spell Perkins when his game is off. Bertram is not, and looks to never be, that guy. 

I think Nate and Bryan tried to get some more front line help for Perkins but it just did not work out. Next year they have a couple JUCO’s in Rojas and Allen to name two that should help our front court. Go Bulls!!!!

Honestly I think this game is what SHOULD have happened.  UB is a fantastic team and SHOULD dominate the MAC and finish with just 2 or 3 losses total on the season.  They should get a good seed and have the ability to make a sweet 16 run.

As good as we all know they are, I think #14 was also a bit generous.  I think they're definitely a borderline top 25 team but in overall quality, UB is not #14 (they're worse) and Marquette is not #20 (they're better).  

I think Howard going off skewed things a bit, but I also think the better team won.  My feeling is if they play on a neutral court, Marquette squeaks out a win and if this game is in Buffalo, the Bulls win a close one.  They are not as good as Marquette, but they're also not that far behind overall. 

• Jeseph unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, ubmae86 said:

Did anyone else watch the Marquette game last night? They are ridiculously good. I think they will run the East this year.

Howard had another crazy game, but the numbers don't show it because they didn't really need to play him for a lot of it.

Dude is amazing. No other way to describe it!

11 hours ago, ubmae86 said:

Did anyone else watch the Marquette game last night? They are ridiculously good. I think they will run the East this year.

Howard had another crazy game, but the numbers don't show it because they didn't really need to play him for a lot of it.

Yea, but Southern U is also really, really bad...

1 hour ago, ed said:

Yea, but Southern U is also really, really bad...

Haha, true, but I think Marquette has too many threats for the big east to contain.

Behind Howard, you've got the Hauser brothers, who are great behind the arc and inside the paint. Also, Chartouny can get hot, but is a little more streaky.

And let's not forget John who owns that paint, with Anim behind him who's got some good presence inside the paint, but not as aggressive as John.