Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Andre Allen

DooleyBull06

11 hours ago, BN11 said:

Rojas told a Bama site that when he’s released from his LOI, he’ll commit to Bama. I wonder if they are recruiting Allen as well. 

Alabama is recruiting at a level that imo is beyond Rojas. They have a class of 3 4 stars, Hawkins and Beetle Bolden coming in. And as said are still in on Watford. And they retained Petty and Lewis. This team will be stacked and should be a tournament team. Expectations are really high on Nate.

1 hour ago, BenBulls said:

I find it very unethical for Oats to go after our recruits. 

Ethics and coaches in top college sports don't go hand in hand!

The part I find interesting is that (beyond Hawkins) Alabama feels as though some of the recruits that have decommitted from UB are P5 material.  I would have thought Alabama's name could pull better recruits.  If not, it just underscores/reiterates how well Oats/Hodgson were doing from a recruiting standpoint while at UB.

It would have been interesting to see, if Hodgson was given the UB job more immediately, how well he could have pulled in some / kept some of the recruits.  We'll never know, but that's always been an unanswerable question in all that has gone down.

18 minutes ago, 961819 said:

They should fill it with a true blue blood SEC-level athlete like *checks notes* James Rojas? 

Or maybe a 5 start guy who went to high school in Alabama and was in the McD all-american game. I didn't realize Rojas was SEC caliber. I mean, I know that playing in ECIC in section 6 a year ago has him ready for the SEC grind. I couldn't care less honestly. I just want to see us fill out our roster. Can we lock down these threads about guys who are guaranteed to no longer be attending UB? They've been released and they will not be Bulls. I wish them all nothing but missing NCAA championships year after year, much like Navigato.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Or maybe a 5 start guy who went to high school in Alabama and was in the McD all-american game. I didn't realize Rojas was SEC caliber. I mean, I know that playing in ECIC in section 6 a year ago has him ready for the SEC grind. I couldn't care less honestly. I just want to see us fill out our roster. Can we lock down these threads about guys who are guaranteed to no longer be attending UB? They've been released and they will not be Bulls. I wish them all nothing but missing NCAA championships year after year, much like Navigato.

I was being sarcastic but agree that these should be locked 

8 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Totally agree that any of those JUCOs are SEC caliber players. And if any of them do ride the Oats train have fun on the bench. Bc newsflash...P5 teams are always in recruit mode and always looking for better.

It will be interesting to see Hawkins and his development. Whether he becomes a great big or gets lost on the bench bc Oats brought in higher rated centers in 2020 or 2021 and beyond. It’s funny, if Oats wins right away I think Hawkins will have less success bc Oats will be able to recruit better. 

These guys would’ve made great MAC players but great SEC player? That’s a big leap.

But as also said by other board members...they aren’t Bulls and maybe they will be great and I’m just bitter. 

10 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

But as also said by other board members...they aren’t Bulls and maybe they will be great and I’m just bitter. 

The fan in me knows that I’m definitely bitter but I also really doubt if it’s in these players best interest to try playing at an SEC level. Like you said, they’re running a high risk of being buried on the bench when they could get significant minutes in the MAC 

Edited by 961819
  • Like 1

Why do we have to lock every thread? We can't discuss players that were once recruited by us? I feel like Shannon Evans is brought up in every thread. Content of the forum should be decided by the community as a whole rather than the mods. If everyone agrees there's no reason to discuss Andre Allen then there will be no posts here.

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 961819 said:

I was being sarcastic but agree that these should be locked 

I disagree - this board, not too long ago was asking about interest and engagement. These are active threads that people are interested in, and they get locked. Makes no sense if you want to build a community. 

Edited by ed
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

These guys would’ve made great MAC players but great SEC player? That’s a big leap.

So a month ago we're talking about being legit contenders, and the best recruits we've ever had. Now these guys, who were going to help solidify our status as perennial contenders (and maybe bring us to the next level!) are sitting the bench at a school that didn't make the tournament. 

Yea, probably some sour grapes there from us.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ed said:

So a month ago we're talking about being legit contenders, and the best recruits we've ever had. Now these guys, who were going to help solidify our status as perennial contenders (and maybe bring us to the next level!) are sitting the bench at a school that didn't make the tournament. 

Yea, probably some sour grapes there from us.  

The standard for us is considerable lower than that of any SEC program. This was our best recruiting class ever. By comparison 3 JUCOs, a 3 star guard and 3 star center would be considered at best an average recruiting class for SEC schools. Sure Alabama didn’t make the tourney last year but they have underclassmen flirting with the draft. Kira Lewis who is returning to the team was flirting with transferring to Duke. So yea I think Durey Cadwell can be great in the SEC (heavy sarcasm).

5 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

The standard for us is considerable lower than that of any SEC program. This was our best recruiting class ever. 

But we weren't talking about using any lower standards for us - we were talking about building into a perennial top 25 team and these guys being good enough to help us do that. That's not a lower standard than Alabama has.

1 minute ago, ed said:

But we weren't talking about using any lower standards for us - we were talking about building into a perennial top 25 team and these guys being good enough to help us do that. That's not a lower standard than Alabama has.

I beg to differ. Naturally being in a P5 conference and paying coaches they way they do the standard is naturally high. Ask any P5 school and they will laugh at you or get mad at you if you tell them that any MAC school is on their level.

We were/are building to get to that level but it would have and still will take more time. Alabama despite not good success is on that level inherently. Or at least they think they are and try to act like they are. 

Those guys would’ve helped us greatly. But I feel like they will be just another player on Alabama’s roster. Especially when Alabama is recruiting guys like Watford. Who if he signs would trump a guy like Allen or Rojas. 

As I have said Nate is gonna have to deal with running things his way and dealing with how boosters want to run him. And that includes what type of player gets recruited and gets playing time.

9 minutes ago, ed said:

You do now. 😉 A month ago you were talking about oats building a dynasty. 😂

I was. A dynasty here at Buffalo. He built a MAC dynasty. He was looking to grow it more nationally. 

At Alabama he’s going to have to do better. With great paycheck comes great expectations.

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

So was everyone else, I really must be missing your point here

the point was pretty explicit - a month ago people on this board were claiming our best recruiting class would help us become contenders. Now, the same recruits, which could make us into contenders, are apparently bench level players in a different conference.  

That's a lot of sour grapes, or a whole lot of being on oats' jock (or both, which is what I really think it is). 

9 minutes ago, ed said:

the point was pretty explicit - a month ago people on this board were claiming our best recruiting class would help us become contenders. Now, the same recruits, which could make us into contenders, are apparently bench level players in a different conference.  

That's a lot of sour grapes, or a whole lot of being on oats' jock (or both, which is what I really think it is). 

Or just maybe there is a different competition level between the MAC and SEC? We were talking about them making us contenders for the MAC title and then being competitive again in the NCAA tournament. We weren’t talking about them bringing us to the National Championship Game

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

Or just maybe there is a different competition level between the MAC and SEC? We were talking about them making us contenders for the MAC title and then being competitive again in the NCAA tournament. We weren’t talking about them bringing us to the National Championship Game

We were talking about being top 25 and being the Gonzaga of the east. That's obviously, inherently, competitive with SEC teams. I don't think anybody was really all psyched at the thought that "we're really building a top MAC team!"

Edited by ed