Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Andre Allen

DooleyBull06

6 minutes ago, ed said:

We were talking about being top 25 and being the Gonzaga of the east. That's obviously, inherently, competitive with SEC teams. I don't think anybody was really all psyched at the thought that "we're really building a top MAC team!"

Yes...we were talking about being the Gonzaga of the east, which was not built in a season. These players we were going to bring in were shaping up to be our best recruiting class....in the MAC. You are comparing a MAC recruiting class that was well above average for the rest of the conference to an SEC recruiting class... they normally get 4 and 5 stars. We were bringing in 3 stars. There is no sour grapes here. They would be fantastic mid major players, and average at best in one of the premier conferences in the country

Edited by 961819

16 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Yes...we were talking about being the Gonzaga of the east, which was not built in a season. These players we were going to bring in were shaping up to be our best recruiting class....in the MAC. You are comparing a MAC recruiting class that was well above average for the rest of the conference to an SEC recruiting class... they normally get 4 and 5 stars. We were bringing in 3 stars. There is no sour grapes here. They would be fantastic mid major players, and average at best in one of the premier conferences in the country

No, this wasn't some generic, out years talk. Dooley was previously talking about us being ranked next year. Maybe preseason votes (but not ranked), despite losing so many key seniors. Now, those recruits are bum bench players in a good conference, but could have helped make us better than those teams in the good conferences. Doesn't grok, sour grapes. 

Edited by ed

1 hour ago, ed said:

No, this wasn't some generic, out years talk. Dooley was previously talking about us being ranked next year. Maybe preseason votes (but not ranked), despite losing so many key seniors. Now, those recruits are bum bench players in a good conference, but could have helped make us better than those teams in the good conferences. Doesn't grok, sour grapes. 

They very well could have been getting pre season votes if they didn’t have the whole Oats leaving situation. The recruits were above average for the MAC, but again they are just going to be average at best at the P5 level going against teams like Kentucky. 

Last year Furman snuck into the top 25 briefly thanks to an 11-0 start. They were there above numerous P5 schools, doesn’t mean their players were P5 caliber. If you take their best player and put him on Alabama, he would ride the bench.

Murray State absolutely trashed Marquette in the tournament this year and with the exception of Ja Morant, the rest of their roster would be role players at best at the SEC level. 

Theres a difference in talent between the SEC and MAC. If the voting committee saw us bringing in this recruiting class from our great season before and saw us continuing to embarrass MAC teams, we would without any doubt in my mind be somewhere in the top 25 

2 hours ago, 961819 said:

They very well could have been getting pre season votes if they didn’t have the whole Oats leaving situation. The recruits were above average for the MAC, but again they are just going to be average at best at the P5 level going against teams like Kentucky. 

Last year Furman snuck into the top 25 briefly thanks to an 11-0 start. They were there above numerous P5 schools, doesn’t mean their players were P5 caliber. If you take their best player and put him on Alabama, he would ride the bench.

Murray State absolutely trashed Marquette in the tournament this year and with the exception of Ja Morant, the rest of their roster would be role players at best at the SEC level. 

Theres a difference in talent between the SEC and MAC. If the voting committee saw us bringing in this recruiting class from our great season before and saw us continuing to embarrass MAC teams, we would without any doubt in my mind be somewhere in the top 25 

So you're basically saying the same thing - talented enough to be top players on a legit top 25 team, bench players in the sec. But not sour grapes.  And the board complains mid majors doesn't get respect from the majors / polls / committee. Ha. 

13 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

Very unethical of him to give high school kids more (and better) options. The ethical thing to do would be to force them to go to our school.

Ugh.  Better basketball conference, sure.  But worse school.  Alabama is almost as close to a diploma mill as ASU.  So, no, they are not doing any non NBA talent really any favors by recruiting them to a worse school.  Maybe I’m old fashioned.

4 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

Ugh.  Better basketball conference, sure.  But worse school.  Alabama is almost as close to a diploma mill as ASU.  So, no, they are not doing any non NBA talent really any favors by recruiting them to a worse school.  Maybe I’m old fashioned.

Alabama is close to UB in the US News & World Report rankings. Their academics have improved a lot. 

10 hours ago, ed said:

For the record, I’m on record as saying next season if we had Oats and this recruiting class we’d be lucky if we received votes in the pre-season top 25. I’m on record as saying next season there would be a drop off compared to this season but that drop off would be we’d still be right there to win the MAC and make the big dance. 

And yes the whole Gonzaga of the East talk I bought into with the understanding that it wasn’t going to happen overnight and in 4 years.  Gonzaga is at the point where they are in recruiting battles with Duke and Kentucky for players. We weren’t there yet. Alabama right now as crappy as they have been is in recruiting battles with top schools. See Trendon Watford. That’s the whole point we are making...to compete in the SEC you have to raise the talent level of your team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ed said:

So you're basically saying the same thing - talented enough to be top players on a legit top 25 team, bench players in the sec. But not sour grapes.  And the board complains mid majors doesn't get respect from the majors / polls / committee. Ha. 

No, you’re just completely missing the whole point. UB doesn’t play an SEC schedule, no matter how good we may do, it would have to be a near perfect season to even crack the top 10. Mid majors don’t get respect because they aren’t going against top 25 or close to it teams every game. Seriously it’s not difficult, are you really trying to insinuate that top 100 players that go to SEC schools are on the same level as top mid major players? That’s laughable if the answer is yes

• Jeseph locked this topic
  • Jeseph unlocked this topic
23 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Alright what’s going on here.

Allen tweeted about not burning bridges which our coaches liked and then our new coach just followed his mom on twitter so him recommitting is a possibility 

7 hours ago, Bill said:

Do we actually have a shot at him? Thought he said we weren’t being considered anymore. 

I hope so because with Agee and White off the board I don't know of any other big men that we're connected to. Right now our players over 6'8" (Bertram, Fagan, Skogman) have a combined 69 (nice) points at the D1 level and I don't think Fagan is really a big man at this level. I'd like to see us land another quality big, Allen or not, and have them and Skogman rotate at the 5 with Williams and Nickelberry taking the majority of the 4 minutes with Skogman possibly stealing some.

On 4/14/2019 at 4:03 PM, skrabukes said:

Or maybe a 5 start guy who went to high school in Alabama and was in the McD all-american game. I didn't realize Rojas was SEC caliber. I mean, I know that playing in ECIC in section 6 a year ago has him ready for the SEC grind. I couldn't care less honestly. I just want to see us fill out our roster. Can we lock down these threads about guys who are guaranteed to no longer be attending UB? They've been released and they will not be Bulls. I wish them all nothing but missing NCAA championships year after year, much like Navigato.

Don’t forget Bearden. Although he did have a run in the NIT.😂