Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ok. Have to ask the obvious question.

UB85

Who on this board and in the UB fan universe would not have been dancing in the streets if I told you before the season that our record at this point would be 11-1, with a Syracuse win, a win at West Virginia, multiple weeks being ranked in the top 25 and tons of positive national exposure to once was at best a middling basketball program? Be happy! Celebrate this team and it’s coaches. Let’s get out and support the program both by attending games and providing financial support. 

The best is yet to come. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

Who on this board and in the UB fan universe would not have been dancing in the streets if I told you before the season that our record at this point would be 11-1, with a Syracuse win, a win at West Virginia

We all would assume that Syracuse and West Virginia were good.

It changes things when Syracuse and West Virginia are not good and San Francisco is the big win on the team’s resume. 

Syracuse iss currently 10th in the ACC and would be third of forth in the MAC. Hard to convince people that’s a good win after Old Dominion beat them at the Dome too.

WVU has losses to Western Kentucky and Rhode Island among others.  They will likely get ten more losses in Conference. 

These aren’t wins to hang your hat on. 

Edited by dutchcountry7

3 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

We all would assume that Syracuse and West Virginia were good.

It changes things when Syracuse and West Virginia are not good and San Francisco is the big win on the team’s resume. 

Syracuse iss currently 10th in the ACC and would be third of forth in the MAC. Hard to convince people that’s a good win after Old Dominion beat them at the Dome too.

WVU has losses to Western Kentucky and Rhode Island among others.  They will likely get ten more losses in Conference. 

These aren’t wins to hang your hat on. 

Wow!! Any win is a good win and winning breeds confidence and creates excitement for us fans. What will you say if Syracuse and WV turn their seasons around and are in the mix in their conferences. I would rather be talking about our success and wins than losing. I agree we need to really enjoy this ride and support our teams in every way possible. Go Bulls!!!!!

Agreed UB85. I thought the exact same thing and planned on posting that today, but you beat me to it (great minds think alike). Some people on here are just beyond silly when they choose to kick this basketball team after yesterday's game. They've played a very challenging schedule, many of those games being on the road, including a lengthy trip overseas. Sadly, many don't understand what it's like to compete at this level and live in some fantasy land where every game the other team is just out there to let us win. The other teams are trying to win too! The other teams are good too, even those who some people put down as "automatic wins". Teams don't go undefeated ever for a reason...it's nearly impossible to do! You could take the best 5 players in the NCAA, put them on the same team for a 35 game season, and they would be extremely hard pressed to win every single game. It's physically and mentally draining to play multiple games per week, including travel. Let's not forget, these guys aren't pros, they're in school also and have that, along with family, friends, etc.

This team is great. Enjoy it.

Enjoy the players. There are 5 seniors who all are outstanding UB basketball players.

Enjoy the coaches, they are completely top notch and we are very fortunate to have them here.

Enjoy the ride! This team is the best we've ever had here. Relish every opportunity to watch them compete (and they compete DARN hard every possession).

Looking forward to blowing out our old coach (no ill will towards him ever, but definitely looking forward to the 25 point drubbing that his squad is going to get laid on them in their house) next weekend. Go Bulls!

1 hour ago, John said:

Wow!! Any win is a good win and winning breeds confidence and creates excitement for us fans. What will you say if Syracuse and WV turn their seasons around and are in the mix in their conferences. I would rather be talking about our success and wins than losing. I agree we need to really enjoy this ride and support our teams in every way possible. Go Bulls!!!!!

If Syracuse and WV turn it around than it will be great.  

But St Mary's was ranked last year a week before selection Sunday and they didn't get in. 

If those wins aren't that impressive at the end of the year because a lot of other teams beat them too then the Bulls still need to win the MAC tournament to get in.

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

If Syracuse and WV turn it around than it will be great.  

But St Mary's was ranked last year a week before selection Sunday and they didn't get in. 

If those wins aren't that impressive at the end of the year because a lot of other teams beat them too then the Bulls still need to win the MAC tournament to get in.

I'm not worried about Selection Sunday right now. Our guys are 11-1 in the non-league, ranked in the top 25 in the NCAA, with only a game vs. Canisius left on the slate before hitting the MAC. 

The last 10 years of UB men's basketball looks like this:

18-19 1 loss (best win WVU? SF? Syracuse? Southern Ill x2? Bona?) 

17-18 5 losses (best win UAB?)

16-17 7 losses (best win Weber St?)

15-16 6 losses (best win Canisius?)

14-15 3 losses (best win Drexel?)

13-14 3 losses (best win Drexel?)

12-13 9 losses (best win Niagara?)

11-12 4 losses (best win Dayton?)

10-11 4 losses (best win Army?)

09-10 4 losses (best win Niagara?)

I think that pretty much any of those wins in this year's grouping look stronger than pretty much any from any of the previous 9 years, most of which were on the road.

I'd happily sign up for this year's non-league. I, for one, have enjoyed every moment of this season (although I'd love to get rid of the 2nd half of #0 last night, that was just ridiculous!). 

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Agreed UB85. I thought the exact same thing and planned on posting that today, but you beat me to it (great minds think alike). Some people on here are just beyond silly when they choose to kick this basketball team after yesterday's game. They've played a very challenging schedule, many of those games being on the road, including a lengthy trip overseas. Sadly, many don't understand what it's like to compete at this level and live in some fantasy land where every game the other team is just out there to let us win. The other teams are trying to win too! The other teams are good too, even those who some people put down as "automatic wins". Teams don't go undefeated ever for a reason...it's nearly impossible to do! You could take the best 5 players in the NCAA, put them on the same team for a 35 game season, and they would be extremely hard pressed to win every single game. It's physically and mentally draining to play multiple games per week, including travel. Let's not forget, these guys aren't pros, they're in school also and have that, along with family, friends, etc.

Enjoy the players. There are 5 seniors who all are outstanding UB basketball players.

Enjoy the coaches, they are completely top notch and we are very fortunate to have them here.

Enjoy the ride! This team is the best we've ever had here. Relish every opportunity to watch them compete (and they compete DARN hard every possession).

Looking forward to blowing out our old coach (no ill will towards him ever, but definitely looking forward to the 25 point drubbing that his squad is going to get laid on them in their house) next weekend. Go Bulls!

Agree 100%. We have been enjoying he ride for years especially when both the men and women won the MAC in Cleveland!! Our family was there and celebrated on the floor with players and fans. As far as Canisius hope to see Perkins do some damage against their front line. Go Bulls!!!!

Let’s just all pause and realize one thing...we control our own destiny. Bottom line is it all comes down to 3 days in Cleveland. We win the MAC tourney and we are in. 

We have proven we can compete with any team in America. Now we just run through the conference slate and build for March. 

Its nice knowing we control our own destiny.

Season so far has been spectacularly good, despite not putting it all together yet. I think the travel, number of games away, the fact that they just had exams, Christmas - the whole lot - caught up with the Bulls yesterday. And yet the Bulls played it pretty even for 31 minutes. I imagine Marquette won’t lose many games with Howard performing as he did yesterday. And NOBODY is going to lose making 18 threes. I wouldn’t count West Virginia or Syracuse out of the running just yet, but if they do it’ll lessen the impact of the wins. Barring injuries, academic ineligibilities, or illness the Bulls should be the favorite in every game until the NCAAs. Go Bulls!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Its nice knowing we control our own destiny.

Well this is true for every sport and every team.  If you win your conference you can compete for the championship.

I'm glad that such a system exists that even the lower conference schools can have a shot at winning it all.

wait a second........

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Ha!!!! That is the first time I’ve been accused of having a “great” mind. 

You just can't please some people I guess...

Totally agree with UB85, no question.

This has been a DREAM start to the season. No other way to describe it. Being not just ranked, but 14! Beating WVU and Syracuse at HOME. Are you kidding me? If Syracuse and WVU ended up .500 teams they are still great wins! Honestly even the SIU wins are solid. San Fran is an especially good win.

If your sole care is the bulls getting an at large, then you're really not going to enjoy any of this. 

If you've followed the team for more than the last 5 years or college bball in general you would probably understand how incredible this start is overall. This is an excellent team as well. I find it ridiculous that people would be negative because Howard got hot for 5 minutes and Marquette pulled away from us. Really? A really good Marquette team at home who I think has taken down #14 3 times this season. 

We have been spoiled (blessed whatever) with Oats and all the winning, and this is likely going to be the best team in UB history this season. If you can't enjoy it because we lost an excellent Marquette team on the road, thats up to you or anyone else.

I for one can't wait til the Griffs game and the entire MAC season. If they lose 2 games in the MAC is this team garbage? NO. I swear people will be let down if we don't make the Final 4. 

To me the season has already been a dream, an OOC I could never had imagined as a MAC school. Now I want to run the MAC. 1-2 losses aint going to kill it either. Then a MAC title. And its not easy to win in the NCAA tournament. There are no guarantees you even win your first game. Very good teams lose in the first round via upsets (think how Arizona felt last year). This season won't be a letdown if UB only wins 1 NCAA tournament game or only wins the MAC title.

Honestly the only way this season can take away from their accomplishments is if they end up in the NIT, but its the MAC. You go like 28-3 with a finals loss to Toledo in OT or something... it could happen. And you know what, in that scenario Im rooting for an NIT title. (ok maybe lets now go down that path yet but im just sayin)

This is just such a fun deep team to watch. Enjoy it. Lots of games over the next 2 months.

On 12/23/2018 at 2:49 AM, xDerekRx said:

Honestly the only way this season can take away from their accomplishments is if they end up in the NIT, but its the MAC. You go like 28-3 with a finals loss to Toledo in OT or something... it could happen. And you know what, in that scenario Im rooting for an NIT title. (ok maybe lets now go down that path yet but im just sayin)

We should all be upset if UB goes 28-3, loses to Toledo in OT in the championship and doesn't get an at-large but both WVU and Syracuse do (and you know they will).

2 hours ago, yussi1870 said:

We should all be upset if UB goes 28-3, loses to Toledo in OT in the championship and doesn't get an at-large but both WVU and Syracuse do (and you know they will).

It is great to have all this speculation about what will happen. Hope we can take one game at a time and continue to enjoy each game on its own merits. I have to admit it is great to have all these grand opinions on what the results will be. Again just a great time to be a supporter of UB basketball. Go Bulls!!!!

On 12/22/2018 at 5:18 PM, skrabukes said:

I'm not worried about Selection Sunday right now. Our guys are 11-1 in the non-league, ranked in the top 25 in the NCAA, with only a game vs. Canisius left on the slate before hitting the MAC. 

The last 10 years of UB men's basketball looks like this:

18-19 1 loss (best win WVU? SF? Syracuse? Southern Ill x2? Bona?) 

17-18 5 losses (best win UAB?)

16-17 7 losses (best win Weber St?)

15-16 6 losses (best win Canisius?)

14-15 3 losses (best win Drexel?)

13-14 3 losses (best win Drexel?)

12-13 9 losses (best win Niagara?)

11-12 4 losses (best win Dayton?)

10-11 4 losses (best win Army?)

09-10 4 losses (best win Niagara?)

I think that pretty much any of those wins in this year's grouping look stronger than pretty much any from any of the previous 9 years, most of which were on the road.

I'd happily sign up for this year's non-league. I, for one, have enjoyed every moment of this season (although I'd love to get rid of the 2nd half of #0 last night, that was just ridiculous!). 

Great. How many of those years were  UB an atlarge team?  

It is true that a MAC tournament championship will get the Bulls an NCAA bid but that is true for everyone. Western Michigan controls their own destiny and can get a bid with a MAC tournament championship. 

Are we are great program or a MAC program?  One plays for atlarge bids. The other has their whole season come down to the MAC tournament with nothing else mattering. 

51 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Great. How many of those years were  UB an atlarge team?  

It is true that a MAC tournament championship will get the Bulls an NCAA bid but that is true for everyone. Western Michigan controls their own destiny and can get a bid with a MAC tournament championship. 

Are we are great program or a MAC program?  One plays for atlarge bids. The other has their whole season come down to the MAC tournament with nothing else mattering. 

How many of those years did we get all excited to make it to Cleveland, maybe win a game once arriving there? I appreciate the quality of this team, especially having watched so many games and seasons of less than top-of-MAC quality. When we first arrived in the MAC, it was blowout city, every game (and we weren't on the positive side of those). Now, we contend and excel every night. Enjoy it.

29 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

How many of those years did we get all excited to make it to Cleveland, maybe win a game once arriving there? I appreciate the quality of this team, especially having watched so many games and seasons of less than top-of-MAC quality. When we first arrived in the MAC, it was blowout city, every game (and we weren't on the positive side of those). Now, we contend and excel every night. Enjoy it.

If this team fails to make the tournament then the whole season is a failure. I don’t care about the ranking or even if they win the MAC because it all means nothing if they aren’t still ranked in March. 

5 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

If this team fails to make the tournament then the whole season is a failure. I don’t care about the ranking or even if they win the MAC because it all means nothing if they aren’t still ranked in March. 

Well, then get everyone you know to attend the games this season and be loud and proud, both at UB and in Cleveland. I don't want to think about failures with this team, when all they've done is had success thus far. The team is fun, enjoy them while we've got them. One game at a time.

• Like 1

Jeez, you all must be very fun at parties.

Best season we have had so far. It is has been incredibly fun to watch and experience. Buzz is all over the nation. It is nice to see more UB gear being worn around. (Stores were having issues with inventory on campus from people buying a lot.)

Excited to see how this plays out and incredibly proud of this team so far. From how they conduct themselves and the selfless attitude. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

Jeez, you all must be very fun at parties.

Best season we have had so far. It is has been incredibly fun to watch and experience. Buzz is all over the nation. It is nice to see more UB gear being worn around. (Stores were having issues with inventory on campus from people buying a lot.)

Excited to see how this plays out and incredibly proud of this team so far. From how they conduct themselves and the selfless attitude. 

Definitely seeing more UB gear everywherea and the store at Galleria had limited UB stock left. Also nice to be able too acknowledge UB fans when walking around town. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1