Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Tyree Jackson’s future

admin

12 minutes ago, ChicagoBull said:

Tyree woke up this morning expecting to earn 10 times that as his annual salary and another 10 times that as a signing bonus.

How much do you think late round picks’ get for a signing bonus? If you think it’s $750k I have a bridge to sell you. Not to mention there’s no guaranteed money outside the signing bonus for day 3 picks.

Not sure what guys in rounds 4-7 get.  What I do know is that if you are chosen at 103 vs not chosen, it says that someone values you more....so I am guessing that I could buy your bridge.  Tyree will only see the field if some guys get hurt...….he will get slivers from his clipboard before he gets meaningful reps (short of injury time).  He made a horrible decision.  I'll look forward to seeing him in Canada for a cup-of-coffee.

Look at who teams valued ahead of him...……….hm.m.m.m.

41 minutes ago, verandaman said:

Not sure what guys in rounds 4-7 get.  What I do know is that if you are chosen at 103 vs not chosen, it says that someone values you more....so I am guessing that I could buy your bridge.  Tyree will only see the field if some guys get hurt...….he will get slivers from his clipboard before he gets meaningful reps (short of injury time).  He made a horrible decision.  I'll look forward to seeing him in Canada for a cup-of-coffee.

Look at who teams valued ahead of him...……….hm.m.m.m.

Now we’re arguing apples and oranges. Of course if you’re drafted they valued you more than an undrafted FA..... My post was directed at someone hilariously claiming Tyree was going to make millions simply by being drafted on day 3. Which is incorrect. 

5 hours ago, zigo230 said:

Can’t believe the Football program got shut out in the 2019 draft. 

This. Im still in shock. 

Ive said it a bunch of times but at the start of the year Jackson and Johnson were 1st round picks in mock drafts, at worst 1st/2nd round duo! Hodge was an outside 4th rounder.

We've had James Starks miss an entire season and go 6th round.

We had Steven Means and Josh Thomas go 5th round before Macks year

We even had Schrek go last round a couple years ago.

No way I could have imagined one of our 2 big offensive players not being drafted. 

Anthony Johnson simply had too many injuries linger this year. Combined that with a rough combine. If he had come out last year I wonder if goes Top 3 rounds with that year he had. Tyree Jackson completely amazes me. Yeah he was raw as hell and definitely need another year, but between the media hype and athletic upside and teams hard on for QBs, I have no idea what happened.

This is definitely the most disappointing draft in UB history. I was convinced that Johnson and Jackson would go in like the 3rd round, Hodge in the 6th, and O’Hagan in the 7th. At least my giants got O’Hagan. I would have loved for them to grab some of the others too though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UB05 said:

How much do you think late round picks’ get for a signing bonus? If you think it’s $750k I have a bridge to sell you. Not to mention there’s no guaranteed money outside the signing bonus for day 3 picks.

Are you really arguing about this?  Tyree and AJ woke up yesterday expecting to be 4th round picks.  Here are the facts:

The first pick in the 4th round:   $3,324,499 with $804,499 signing bonus.  

The last pick in the 7th round:  $2,594,288 with $74,288 signing bonus.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

16 minutes ago, ChicagoBull said:

Are you really arguing about this?  Tyree and AJ woke up yesterday expecting to be 4th round picks.  Here are the facts:

Tyree got the same bonus as that 7th round pick. If that 7th round pick gets cut, he doesn't get that $2.5 million that you list. If Tyree makes the Bills (or any other team), he'll be making the same amount as any of those 7th round guys, and not far from the 4th-6th round guys. The minimum is $500k+, so any of the UB guys that make the squad on opening day will be earning that salary. Hopefully they can be healthy and show off their skills and we have a few on rosters/practice squads come September.

1 hour ago, ChicagoBull said:

So Tyree was better off not getting drafted than being picked in the 7th round. Got it thanks. 

The truth is, Tyree didn’t perform well last year even with a lot of talent around him. He really was mediocre, particularly in second half of season. We should have at least won the MAC championship. If you can’t hack against middle tier talent, you must wow at combine and it looks like they saw him for what he was lacking... 

Tyree should have stayed and worked harder one more go. I know the team has a lot less talent, particularly at wr without aj, but maybe Osborne would have stayed. Oh well.. 

3 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Tyree got the same bonus as that 7th round pick. If that 7th round pick gets cut, he doesn't get that $2.5 million that you list. If Tyree makes the Bills (or any other team), he'll be making the same amount as any of those 7th round guys, and not far from the 4th-6th round guys. The minimum is $500k+, so any of the UB guys that make the squad on opening day will be earning that salary. Hopefully they can be healthy and show off their skills and we have a few on rosters/practice squads come September.

"Hopefully they can be healthy and show off their skills and we have a few on rosters/practice squads come September."  Agreed!  

Still don’t get the Anthony Johnson thing.  He has NFL hands, an NFL body and awareness of how to position his body.  He doesn’t have super speed but is fast enough.  He should’ve been drafted before any of them. 

Tyree, I get why he dropped based on the second half of the season. Too many passes skipped off the ground or sailed way over the heads of receivers.  That idiot Steve Smith coming down from the TV booth and lecturing Tyree on how to better throw a slant probably didn’t help much either. May not have hurt but it made him a bit of a joke to the announcers 

• Like 2

Tyree -- I read a stat somewhere that he had a 20% off-target rate (which is some sort of stat people track) which was the highest in college football during the last 8 years or something.  There was a broad difference of opinion on Tyree among those in the know and, apparently, it wasn't enough to get him drafted.  Too much uncertainty to spend a draft pick on.   I, like several others, was surprised someone didn't take a chance at the end of the draft.

AJ -- When the receivers didn't really go in the draft, he was on the short end.  He didn't score well in some areas (speed, jumping, 3-cone) and despite nice highlights and other productivity, he didn't get his number called.  I am keen to see how it works out in Tampa Bay.  I am cautiously optimistic (between Tyree and Hodge) that AJ can have an impact.

Hodge -- I think the fact he didn't have a combine invite was a disadvantage...but he didn't really score well in important metrics (speed, strength, jumping) they use.  He was certainly a tackling machine, though.  Not sure what happens to Hodge at this point.  Maybe he will get an invite at some point somewhere.

I am as disappointed as you all are about the fact that none of these guys were drafted.  But I wish them the best of luck in their careers after college, be it in football or other endeavors.

• Like 2

Tyree being deemed UDFA, makes AJ's value even higher in my mind. Everything changed once AJ was on the field and things got worse when AJ was off. I'm incredibly shocked he didn't get drafted.

The Bosa kid got an injury sat out most of the year got drafted #2. Ed Oliver nursed an injury all season, got drafted #9. Hawaii's Ursua had two monster seasons in the run and shoot offense, but tore his ACL in 2017 and  had a lingering injury in 2018 similar to AJ this year...however Ursua skipped his bowl game to prepare for the NFL, and got healthy enough to get drafted in the 7th despite below average NFL size... Hawaii's offense sputtered in the bowl without Ursua and UH got blown out by La Tech.

Meanwhile AJ kept coming back when he had nothing left to prove, almost won us a MAC title on one leg, yet ends up UDFA.

Message seems clear the NFL only pays lip service to the character part of being there for your team, but ultimately they only care about the 40 and cone times...

AJ vs 6th round pick Scott Miller

2017: AJ 8 for 160 2 TDs  - Miller 10 for 108 1 TD

2018: AJ 4 for 26 0 TDs - Miller 4 for 115  2 TD (Miller caught a 63 yard TD while BGSU was down 44-7 midway through the 4th)

Edited by bull_trojan

21 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

Tyree being deemed UDFA, makes AJ's value even higher in my mind. Everything changed once AJ was on the field and things got worse when AJ was off. I'm incredibly shocked he didn't get drafted.

The Bosa kid got an injury sat out most of the year got drafted #2. Ed Oliver nursed an injury all season, got drafted #9. Hawaii's Ursua had two monster seasons in the run and shoot offense, but tore his ACL in 2017 and  had a lingering injury in 2018 similar to AJ this year...however Ursua skipped his bowl game to prepare for the NFL, and got healthy enough to get drafted in the 7th despite below average NFL size... Hawaii's offense sputtered in the bowl without Ursua and UH got blown out by La Tech.

Meanwhile AJ kept coming back when he had nothing left to prove, almost won us a MAC title on one leg, yet ends up UDFA.

Message seems clear the NFL only pays lip service to the character part of being there for your team, but ultimately they only care about the 40 and cone times...

AJ vs 6th round pick Scott Miller

2017: AJ 8 for 160 2 TDs  - Miller 10 for 108 1 TD

2018: AJ 4 for 26 0 TDs - Miller 4 for 115  2 TD (Miller caught a 63 yard TD while BGSU was down 44-7 midway through the 4th)

More and more, we see that the NFL is a cold-hearted business.  At least in college, we still have some semblance of team loyalty, although it really got stretched this off-season by UB players.