Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Tyree Jackson’s future

admin

Starting a new thread about Tyree Jackson. 

Three possibilities. 

Go pro - as many have said, he’s not ready. He was much better early in the year. Not sure what happened but his accuracy has gotten worse. I personally think that for the nfl, he’s got to rid his windup. The top pros seem to just flick the ball with their wrist. There is no time at the next level so he will need a year to change the way he throws. 

P5 transfer - I’m actually very surprised by this as the most likely option. Will it help him develop more going against better competition every week? Probably. It’s just that I can’t think of other QBs who went pro from non P5s do this. Roethlisberger, Allen, Wentz ... 1 year to learn a new offense and potentially not even start sounds like a big risk to me, the risk would be greater than benefit. NFL has shown it is not afraid to take QBs from non P5. 

Return to Buffalo - I hope he returns. The team should be good. I think if he returns and plays well, we have a shot at Penn State. Johnson is gone but the receiving Corp with Osborn, Nunn, Mabry, Jones and Scott are going to be good. Add in Patterson and Marks on the ground and this offense can be better next year. Hope his teammates can convince him to return. 

P5 transfer would be interesting.  If he gets a good offer, he should take it.  He needs better coaching and maybe he'll get that elsewhere.

If he can't get into a good P5, going back to UB is a good 2nd choice.  

The NFL...now?  Where?  A practice squad?  Will he even be drafted?

If he goes pro, then lord bless 'im....he'll need it.

What P5 team would want him?  Seriously.  He will want to play and all the marquee programs have better options than betting on a "project".

I like Tyree, but sense he has been reading his own media/press clippings.  His decision making has been dreadful over the last four games or more.  

He needs to stay put; work hard; and demonstrate better judgement.  Win or lose, if he does those things he will get drafted in 2020 imo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, verandaman said:

He will want to play and all the marquee programs have better options than betting on a "project".

I don't disagree with you on Tyree, but it worked for Minshew this year.  I don't think WSU would take Tyree given their roster situation (2 RS-Sr QBs next year), but Tyree would do so well in that offense.

8 hours ago, zigo230 said:

I saw people speculating on Twitter that Auburn is an option.  There’s a relationship w the AD and Auburn’s QB is leaving early to go pro. 

If he lands at Auburn, I cry foul, big time. Ex-UBAD AG was at the game yesterday, greeting UB players before the game. That would be absolutely a bad look if it happened.

• Like 4

Auburn is a big time program...a program thinking about making the final 4 each year.  Is Tyree that good that he will start as a transfer for Auburn?

If Tyree actually goes to Auburn, good for him.  I hope he gets the top notch coaching he needs to maximize his potential.

If he ends up at a non-P5 or a low end P5 school, I am not sure it would be worth it.

The transfer portal means he is exploring transferring, but it doesn't mean he will.   He has a good situation at UB...he knows the offense, he is comfortable here, he can play lower level teams and boost his numbers.  Transferring to another program has to really be a big benefit to him, otherwise why would he go through that?  

So...I guess this will be a side drama for a bit.  I am not sure when he has to make his decision on transferring.

I'm not going to knock Tyree. I'm sure that we all want him back.

IF he chooses to transfer...I find it to be a slap in the face of UB. This guy has been given opportunities here and has developed as a QB in his time here and how does he repay UB's investment, but to leave, basically saying that UB isn't good enough for him. 

I hope that he'll consider staying, but generally people don't "explore other options" unless they want out.

Additionally, if he chooses to leave, it makes me question many things regarding redshirting players. Why should UB redshirt players, if after they get "good", they leave in their final year?

I had no problem with Anderson transferring out, as he wouldn't have had any opportunity to play here as a senior. As for Tyree, he's our starter, and if he leaves, it would most assuredly set this team back.

We certainly haven't had the best of luck with these grad transfers thus far (Rohach, Rushing), although Tyree is a bonafide starter for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

This guy has been given opportunities here and has developed as a QB in his time here and how does he repay UB's investment, but to leave, basically saying that UB isn't good enough for him. 

He owes UB absolutely nothing.

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Why should UB redshirt players, if after they get "good", they leave in their final year?

They also have to have a degree in order to transfer and not lose eligibility.  That's why Evans lost a year and Tyree will not.

19 minutes ago, rma said:

He owes UB absolutely nothing.

They also have to have a degree in order to transfer and not lose eligibility.  That's why Evans lost a year and Tyree will not.

I disagree on your first point, but we are all entitled to our opinion on the situation.

Evans wasn't a 4th year student, nor had he redshirted while at UB, so that point is moot to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Not necessarily gone.  According to Coach Leipold he is exploring his options and the two have spoken.

It looks like Jackson is a goner. I think the number of quarterbacks we have on the roster will be positive and should be interesting. The real issue is that Jackson and the entire offensive play calling was terrible in the last three games and also the Army game and the defensive game also was not good. Jackson was not accurate or had any touch on his passes as the year went on. He did not appear to be set in the pocket and did not seem to go thru his progressions. Some of that can beblamed on the coaches. I still think the jury is still out on Leipold’s Coaching philosophy of being too conservative and not playing to win and being afraid to lose. Hope they can find a consistent kicker. Hope for continued success and Go Bulls!!!!

Why is everyone so quick to say that Tyree NEEDS to go to a bigger school. It could cost him. He is a good QB, especially in the MAC. But for him to go to a school in the SEC, that could be bad for him. I think he's too raw for a school of that magnitude. 

Obviously he's doing what he thinks is best, but, is it really the best option? Draft scouts know who he is and if he stayed at UB and has a much better year his senior year, his draft stock is going to look really good. But if he goes to a big school, and does awful, he more than likely ruins his chances at a better contract and better position to go to a team that he'll compete as a backup or even a starter. 

All I'm saying is, if Khalil Mack can do it, so can Tyree. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Why is everyone so quick to say that Tyree NEEDS to go to a bigger school. It could cost him. He is a good QB, especially in the MAC. But for him to go to a school in the SEC, that could be bad for him. I think he's too raw for a school of that magnitude. 

Obviously he's doing what he thinks is best, but, is it really the best option? Draft scouts know who he is and if he stayed at UB and has a much better year his senior year, his draft stock is going to look really good. But if he goes to a big school, and does awful, he more than likely ruins his chances at a better contract and better position to go to a team that he'll compete as a backup or even a starter. 

All I'm saying is, if Khalil Mack can do it, so can Tyree. 

Do agree. Most of the draft experts say he is not close to being aa accomplished quarterback and he did himself no favors in how he played the last few games. So yes it depends on how honest he is being with his own ability. A lot will depend on the kind of coaching he gets. It really is a crapshoot if he goes to a team that has some offensive talent. Only time will tell. Go Bulls!!!!