Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Tyree Jackson’s future

admin

I realized today, what bothers me most about Tyree and now KJ putting on for possible transfers is the message it sends to the rest of the team.  You're the all-MAC returning senior QB, and receiver.  You're the leaders of this team from now on, the ones setting the example.  Well it's one heck of an example, one heck of a vote of confidence in your coaches and teammates.  It's not a message that says "we fell short this year but we're committed to finishing the job next year" - quite the opposite. This doesn't look like "building a winning culture".  I know fully well it may be in their personal interest to look into this - fine, but don't tell me there's honor in that. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

I realized today, what bothers me most about Tyree and now KJ putting on for possible transfers is the message it sends to the rest of the team.  You're the all-MAC returning senior QB, and receiver.  You're the leaders of this team from now on, the ones setting the example.  Well it's one heck of an example, one heck of a vote of confidence in your coaches and teammates.  It's not a message that says "we fell short this year but we're committed to finishing the job next year" - quite the opposite. This doesn't look like "building a winning culture".  I know fully well it may be in their personal interest to look into this - fine, but don't tell me there's honor in that. 

Yep, hit the nail on the head, in addition to other problems I have with this whole thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enrique14150 said:

Could not agree more. I hate the whole idea of leaving your teammates in the lurch after one of our better seasons.

Your performance here was good enough for people to start talking about you being drafted, so you're going to use that to go ride the bench or get crushed at another team just because of the name. That's some bullshit.

Tyree has a locked down starting job with an off season to improve things like, idk, TAKING CARE OF THE GOD DAMN BALL, not to mention working with our great rbs and wr core and he could come out next season and really show his ability to be drafted high next year.

Instead he's going to go to another school just for the name... I'm sorry, but for as much as he's done for us, if he goes to another school, I hope he rides the bench into obscurity or gets crushed by D's in whatever league he lands in.

• Like 2

Would love for these guys to stay and help the program.

Buti it's probably literally the case that none of the football players had buffalo as a first choice - everyone was probably a hs stud and had big dreams, and here they are, on a team that's not far removed from being a regular on the bottom 10 every week, but with some recent success. And they've had some personal success and draft talk.

So, they can stick it out, and hope the program continues to progress. Or, see if there's an opportunity for them to go to a top notch program that gets a lot of attention. Huge, huge potential personal upside in leaving, to the tune of milions in a career.

We got to get over it. Continue to win, continue to build. 

Comparisons to Mack...  yea, Khalil Mack got it done at UB. But he's a generational talent. 

I would have never wished bad for him had he transferred but this is the best outcome for all. He goes into the draft as a Bull. Which will raise our profile as a school. And he will get drafted. Hope he has a great combine and his stock sky rockets. I can see him right now being a 3rd round pick. But he has all the tools to get drafted higher. Especially in a “weak” QB draft. 

• Like 1

Tyree was throwing to AJ, who made next level plays against MAC level defenders.    Certainly that helped Tyree.

One evaluator said that you are wasting everyone's time if you make poor decisions and are not accurate.  Those are the things we've associated with Tyree (of course, in addition to the really good things he provides).  But it seems like the areas where he has the most problems are big red flag issues for scouts.  

I guess if he has a good Pro Day or at the Combine, it will work out for him since he will have the numbers scouts like (arm strength, height, etc.)  I think he felt the weakness of the 2019 QB class plays to his favor more than what a season at a P5 might do (it could expose him, for example, and then he would have to be in the 2020 draft against a deeper field.)

I am disappointed he won't be at UB another season.  He was the best QB we have had (overall), in my opinion.  He was a difference maker.  Forever a Bull...

Without Johnson, I can certainly see the “Ive done all I can do at UB and rather come back with a reviving corps not at the same level I’ll declare for the draft” thought process. Wish him well. But he hit a real rough patch in his last 3 or 4 games so I say let’s move on and see what the next man up can do. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

Without Johnson, I can certainly see the “Ive done all I can do at UB and rather come back with a reviving corps not at the same level I’ll declare for the draft” thought process. Wish him well. But he hit a real rough patch in his last 3 or 4 games so I say let’s move on and see what the next man up can do. 

Hope Tyree has success and gets drafted. But he can turn out like so many quarterbacks with physical tools but not the other intangibles that make a good quarterback. That list is very long  when you cannot have touch on your passes, cannot go through your progressions and cannot stay in the pocket. The last 3/4 games were bad but I attribute that to the coaches and their game plans along with the players. We will see which incoming quarterback can continue our success. Go Bulls!!!!

7 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Do we even know if he gets invited to the combine?  Hopefully he does.  I think he'd do well there.

Not sure what to expect from him if he gets a combine invitation...he won't get shorter or thinner, but not sure his wheels will impress.  The world knows he can throw a long ball; it's just less clear which team will be there to receive it.

He better hope that Johnson catches for him on his Pro Day...

I know in some cases it takes a full year to recover from a knee injury, his year would have been September 23, 2018.

From his injury till the 1 year anniversary, 9 runs in 8 games (including sacks), After the anniversary, 53 runs in 10 games (including sacks)

Look at Carson Wentz, he's just about at a year and still not what he was before he left. Leaving school, he can focus on rehab and building up his leg strength and focusing on his throwing, rather than working on his graduate studies. Good decision.

Surprised he chose this route. I think staying at ub and cleaning up his game for the draft next year was his best option. 

He just didn't make the plays in the final 2 big games of the year. Had he led us down to 2 winning drives in those said games he might have a total different perception.

Although like others have said, this route keeps him in a mostly positive light for me. The transfer route would have definitely soured things a bit 

Anyway now I'm hoping he kills his pro days and or combine and finds his way into the 2nd round.

Qb is the craziest position in the draft. You can rise so fast with the smallest amount of hype leading into it

I think his physical abilities should make him pretty comparable to Josh Allen - Big Arm, big built, able to scramble... it's the mental part of the game that's going to hurt him. He seems to always make a few dumb decisions every game (They were glaringly bad decisions during MAC championship and dollar general bowl). I was hoping he'd come back or at least transfer to play one more year of college ball so that he can work on the mental part of the game. 

I can't blame him for wanting to get paid to play especially since he already has his degree. Here's hoping he gets drafted by a team with a good veteran QB and stable coaching staff where he can sit and learn and develop into a starter in the NFL.

While I think he could benefit from staying for another year, I can't blame him for making the move. If he has a chance to go in the 2nd-3rd round he has to take it. There is a very strong QB class coming out next year and there is always the potential for injury if he stays another year, both of which add to the risk of staying. 

He is also the type of prospect that will shoot up draft boards because of his measurables. 

1 hour ago, xDerekRx said:

Surprised he chose this route. I think staying at ub and cleaning up his game for the draft next year was his best option. 

He just didn't make the plays in the final 2 big games of the year. Had he led us down to 2 winning drives in those said games he might have a total different perception.

Although like others have said, this route keeps him in a mostly positive light for me. The transfer route would have definitely soured things a bit 

Anyway now I'm hoping he kills his pro days and or combine and finds his way into the 2nd round.

Qb is the craziest position in the draft. You can rise so fast with the smallest amount of hype leading into it

I gotta imagine you're thinking about your future during those final games of the season: the desire to make plays to prove your worth adds pressure, while the knowledge that an injury may end your dreams becomes a distraction, combined this could lead to some bad decision making. This could possibly explaining finishing with 4 TDs and 4 INTs after starting 24 TDs to 8 INTs.

Remember Mack was effectively a non-factor in the Potato Bowl,  so I don't think you should put more stock into your last impression, vs the overall season body of work. 

Caliber of competition seems to have had an adverse affect on his play (perhaps Temple excluded...albeit, UB caught Temple at a good time).  The last impression is all too vivid in my mind, whether it be in Athens, OH, Detroit, MI or Mobile, AL.

The game at BGSU was fun, but a bit of a "quality" outlier.