Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#21 UB @ Canisius (12/29 - 7:00pm ET)

1 hour ago, BrazenBull said:

Calling a timeout way past the point of return is pretty on-brand from my recollection. No disrespect, I still somewhat cherish the tshirt I have with his face on it. 

Does anyone here remember the foam spoons they would give out when Reggie was at UB? I loved that thing, but eventually the white piping came off and it was just a giant blue foam spoon with nothing on it.

4 hours ago, BrazenBull said:

Calling a timeout way past the point of return is pretty on-brand from my recollection. No disrespect, I still somewhat cherish the tshirt I have with his face on it. 

I agree 100%. He always used to do it, especially when the officiating was sub-par. Made them stick around for a few extra minutes. I found it kind of funny when he was at UB. I found it more enjoyable being on the winning end of it last night.

9 hours ago, rma said:

It seems like Reggie was bothered during the press conference.

Says the UB-Canisius rivalry is just a "non-conference game"

Seemed annoyed when asked about bringing in UB (a ranked opponent) to the KAC

Hell I’d be bothered too if I had to coach that team. Without Crumpton Reese and Molson have regressed to throwing up a high number of bricks. They both looked terrible last night. There were some Canisius fans yelling at Reggie during the game. And to be certain we certainly know that Reggie definitely wants to beat UB in every way because he was fired. It’s just human nature for a competitive person like Reg. And while he always preached Big 4 basketball and getting WNY  out to support each team he cannot be happy that UB has had the success they’ve had since he was fired because it abolishes the lame excuse and crutch so many  threw out there, that you couldn’t recruit to UB or consistently excel. Thanks to Oats, we see what can happen when you have the right people in place. The challenge now is to keep Nate around and grow the program further. Go Bulls!

Edited by UB85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ubmae86 said:

Does anyone here remember the foam spoons they would give out when Reggie was at UB? I loved that thing, but eventually the white piping came off and it was just a giant blue foam spoon with nothing on it.

I still wear my Reggie shirt, too. I liked him, but his methodical “hand-off” offense was largely ineffective then, as it is now, and it drove me crazy. My fondest memory of the Reggie era at UB was me, wifey and daughter betting on how long it would take before Reggie would rip off his sport coat and throw it on the floor in disgust of the (still) crappy officiating in the MAC. 

14 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

Crowd - a great turnout by UB fans, because there hasn't been some times in the past for this game.  But that was one of the most lifeless sellout crowds I can remember.  It was hard to unite several different groups of UB fans, but even when my brother and I tried to make some noise, few if any joined.  Too many people comfortable just observing.  Enjoy this team!  There is no better time to live it up than in their gym, when their fans do nothing.  We're better than this - but anyone is better than C-Block, which was nonexistent.  Canisius finally has some of their own students playing in a small band, which is an improvement over the high school kids they used to import to do the job.

Maybe it was where you were sitting but from section 1 the crowd was loud and UB fans in particular outshone their Canisius brothers. Even the cheerleaders seemed upset that the crowd only cheered when UB scored.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ubbulls08 said:

That was the most disingenuous I’ve ever seen Reggie be. 

When’s the last time they sold out a game? Hosted a ranked team? 

Oh, and it happens to be the team that let you go?

That was silly.

He's actually really embarrassed about his situation. I don't think he wanted to schedule this game but was basically forced due to the Big 4.

4 minutes ago, yussi1870 said:

Maybe it was where you were sitting but from section 1 the crowd was loud and UB fans in particular outshone their Canisius brothers. Even the cheerleaders seemed upset that the crowd only cheered when UB scored.

Yeah it was probably because we were in the opposite end zone.  We could faintly hear you guys down there and I wanted to join in.  Great to hear there was some life there!

4 minutes ago, yussi1870 said:

You're pretty much the only one who hasn't noticed this.

I think Bona has pretended to be in another class than us for a long time (they were right until Hurley showed up) and so they don't necessarily go crazy over wins.

Canisius just doesn't have the fan base, and so I don't tend to see them gloating anywhere online. (They won two years ago, right?) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yussi1870 said:

You're pretty much the only one who hasn't noticed this.

This is the first year I have seen Bonas fans talking about Buffalo and they didn’t win this year. 

Are you saying they were talking a lot about the Buffalo win last year?  Because I didn’t hear it. They talked about their wins against Maryland, Syracuse, and Rhode Island based on my recollection.  And I don’t remember any talk the previous few years when they won. 

13 hours ago, UB85 said:

Hell I’d be bothered too if I had to coach that team. Without Crumpton Reese and Molson have regressed to throwing up a high number of bricks. They both looked terrible last night. There were some Canisius fans yelling at Reggie during the game. And to be certain we certainly know that Reggie definitely wants to beat UB in every way because he was fired. It’s just human nature for a competitive person like Reg. And while he always preached Big 4 basketball and getting WNY  out to support each team he cannot be happy that UB has had the success they’ve had since he was fired because it abolishes the lame excuse and crutch so many  threw out there, that you couldn’t recruit to UB or consistently excel. Thanks to Oats, we see what can happen when you have the right people in place. The challenge now is to keep Nate around and grow the program further. Go Bulls!

Do agree. I have not seen too many losing coaches speak on an upbeat tone but Reggie seemed really downcast and it was even worse with losing to UB. You think he had trouble recruiting at UB it does have to be harder at Canisius. Go Bulls!!!!

23 hours ago, rma said:

MAAC is garbage this year, Canisius can still put together a season.

The call a time out with 80 seconds left, down double digits was off brand Reggie.  Especially sending out the full court press afterwards.  Either somebody had money on the game or he's not letting up on his former employer.  Whatever it takes to get Big 4 hoops back to relevancy.  Steal the damn main street sign and put it outside alumni arena.

Main Street Sign Trophy would be A lot of fun. UB wins, paint it Blue, Canisius wins paint it Gold.

Reggie will never get the credit he deserves for what he did... ultimately I think Hurley will get more credit, for winning the 1 game Reggie couldn't despite the Hurley teams being kinda undisciplined and underperforming.

But the foundation of Reggie + the clout of Hurley x the inspired Assistant Coach hire = this amazing team.

8 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

Reggie will never get the credit he deserves for what he did... ultimately I think Hurley will get more credit, for winning the 1 game Reggie couldn't despite the Hurley teams being kinda undisciplined and underperforming.

But the foundation of Reggie + the clout of Hurley x the inspired Assistant Coach hire = this amazing team.

Credit Reggie from resurrecting the program from the Cohane mess. And bringing the program from a bottom feeder to a middling mid major with some exciting years, Battle, Idbihi, Cage, Bird, Bortz etc. and putting the program in a spot where Danny White could convince Hurley to shuffle off to Buffalo. The Hurley name brought credibility and attention to UB which was great. He was not a great coach, perhaps not even an average coach. He absolutely blundered his way through his first year with a senior laden team lead by perhaps UB’s GOAT Javon McRea. Most here thought that would be “our year”. Rather we lost to eastern in the quarter finals when we saw likely one of the worst coaching performances in the history of UB basketball. Eastern decided they’d take Javon our of the game by collapsing three defenders on him whenever he touched the ball. Hurley dimbfoundedly never made any adjustment. Consequently Javon likely had his worst game ever at any level shouting 1 for double figures rather than giving it up to teammates who were open. Then in year two we forget that the team was 6-6 in conference play looking very erratic and anything but a championship team. Then with X catching lightning in a bottle and playing out of his mind the team went on its historic run. He’s struggled in the weakest of the P5 conferences barely making the tourney last year after a great start with the same thing potentially happening again after an abysmal home loss a couple days ago. But I’ll always give him credit for bringing Nate here and that’s why he gets an A+ from me. But I think you’re absolutely right to say in the eyes of most Hurley will be given credit for pushing UB to the next level where I think Nate deserves the credit. I’d rank them Nate, Reggie and then Hurley fir their accomplishments and what they meant to UB basketball. Go Bulls!

• Like 1

Reggie is clearly disturbed by the success that UB has had almost immediately from the minute he left. It's pretty clear he held the program back for years. Thank God someone had the foresight to get rid of him and they didnt accept the constant mediocrity like so many on here thought was great. 

1 minute ago, pottier25 said:

Reggie is clearly disturbed by the success that UB has had almost immediately from the minute he left. It's pretty clear he held the program back for years. Thank God someone had the foresight to get rid of him and they didnt accept the constant mediocrity like so many on here thought was great. 

Well, look what he's doing to Canisius. I'm not saying he has been 100% of the problem to their downfall this year. But, the fact that Molson and Reese have been so incredibly bad this year, is a real indication of something....and I'm not sure what really. 

I thought those 2 were going be like Khalil Dukes and Matt Scott from Niagara last season and tear the MAAC apart. And it's the absolute opposite.

I don't know, maybe Witherspoon just doesn't have what it takes to coach D-1 basketball? Despite some successful seasons, it just seems like he reeks of mediocrity and does holds rosters back. 

27 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Well, look what he's doing to Canisius. I'm not saying he has been 100% of the problem to their downfall this year. But, the fact that Molson and Reese have been so incredibly bad this year, is a real indication of something....and I'm not sure what really. 

I thought those 2 were going be like Khalil Dukes and Matt Scott from Niagara last season and tear the MAAC apart. And it's the absolute opposite.

I don't know, maybe Witherspoon just doesn't have what it takes to coach D-1 basketball? Despite some successful seasons, it just seems like he reeks of mediocrity and does holds rosters back. 

Reggie very clearly doesn't have what it takes to coach D-1. I love the guy and will always remember how much he did for UB, but I distinctly remember him having a no dunk policy, which is just ludicrous. Dunks are flashy, sure, but they also help energize fans and the team.

Love the guy, but just can't be a head coach for D-1

23 minutes ago, ubmae86 said:

Reggie very clearly doesn't have what it takes to coach D-1. I love the guy and will always remember how much he did for UB, but I distinctly remember him having a no dunk policy, which is just ludicrous. Dunks are flashy, sure, but they also help energize fans and the team.

Reggie must have changed that ‘rule’ at some point because who can forget the infamous T called on Mitchell Watt for hanging on the rim after a dunk in the MAC title game. It was a cheap call by an incompetent official. And despite never getting UB to the dance, Reggie’s a good coach.

Edited by squire17
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ubmae86 said:

I reject this. He didn't leave UB and go nowhere, he was an assistant at Alabama, he could have run that circuit and probably gotten a better job, but seems to me he just wanted to be back home. I'm upset for him that he didn't get a chance for 1 more season to be the winningest coach in UB history, (lord knows I dislike the man who sits #1 on that list, and hope that Nate stays long enough to knock him off)

I think killer instinct is so important at this level, we're taught to just win, but at this level, it's not worth winning if you can't win big. Reggie, a son of the city of good neighbors i think is too nice, while Hurley I think was embarrassed to be at UB and a 5 point win wasn't enough, he wanted to dominate. Nate has the desire to dominate, with a more polished demeanor, best of both worlds.

1 hour ago, squire17 said:

And despite never getting UB to the dance, Reggie’s a good coach.

Not disputing he might be a good coach, but, a head coach at D-1, he is quite mediocre. Also, I'm not dismissing that he has had some success at D-1, but, I just don't think he is a coach that was/is able to get the absolute most out of his players. There's just something lacking with him. One could only wonder what UB would have been like had Bobby Hurley come to UB in 2004 and what they would have been able to accomplish from that point on.

I think Reggie could make to be a good assistant in D-1, perhaps be a head coach at the JUCO level. But him as a head coach for a D-1 school? I don't think it's ever going to get better for him. 

Just my take on things. 

• Like 1