Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Reggie appeared offended by Oats "Super Bowl" comment

As I stated in a previous thread, I covered the UB/Canisius game on Saturday evening. Following the contest, Nate Oats referred to the game as Canisius' "Super Bowl."

I didn't think much of the comment. It was brought up to Reggie Witherspoon by Buffalo News reporter Jason Wolf following Oats presser. Reggie didn't appear to like the comment. He wouldn't comment about it, continuously downplaying the matchup as a "non-conference game played every year." That's in stark contrast to Oats who referred to it as a rivalry and a game for local pride.

I have Reggie's comments posted here: Reggie Witherspoon reacts to "Super Bowl" comments

My question for all of you is, did Reggie respond properly? Is there some bad blood or bitterness over how things went down? Could some of that even be directed at the current staff due to UB's recent success?

We all know Witherspoon is as classy as coaches get in college basketball. I just found the exchange interesting given his history with UB.

I see it as a non-story (I know for you as a writer you want some drama). I love both guys. Reggie is solid, hes been around. Its not really their super bowl... I think it would have been weirder had he played into the comment and agreed with it. Hes competitive. But any little thing that sparks Big 4 interest is fun.

• Like 1

I love Nate Oats. His comments are always real and honest. He believes in his guys, both players and staff. They all seem to fully buy in to everything he's selling. It's great. "The best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be" applies perfectly with regard to him. He's a "coach" in every sense of the word!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

Its not really their super bowl... I think it would have been weirder had he played into the comment and agreed with it.

Think about it this way, if we played Bona this weekend and they were 11-1 and ranked going into the matchup, would we have wanted to win that one game more than any other on our schedule?  Of course we would.  I agree about Reggie not playing into it - would have been weird for him to say "Yeah I really wanted us to win that game because they fired me, they're down the street from us, they're ranked, and this new coach thinks he's hot shit because he did in less than 4 years what I couldn't do in 14."

Edited by rma
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

I see it as a non-story (I know for you as a writer you want some drama). I love both guys. Reggie is solid, hes been around. Its not really their super bowl... I think it would have been weirder had he played into the comment and agreed with it. Hes competitive. But any little thing that sparks Big 4 interest is fun.

I agree with you 100%.

I'm not really into creating fake drama. I'm more curious to see your takes. While at the presser, I didn't think anything of Nate Oats "Super Bowl" comment until I saw Reggie Witherspoon avoid commenting about it.

I respect both coaches. Oats is a straight shooter while Witherspoon is very classy. Reggie definitely didn't like the "Super Bowl" comment which is understandable given his situation (being fired from UB while building his own program across town)

In the long run, this is nothing. But it does make for some solid conversation lol

(If anyone could merge or delete the UB/Canisius highlight video thread, I'd appreciate it. I was posting late at night and shared the same links in that thread and here.)

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

While I agree it’s a non story, let’s face facts. Anyone who has ever competed knows it’s a fact that anyone who has been fired, traded, cut etc. by another school, team or program wants nothing more to beat the pants off that team when and if they get the chance. Reggie’s response was nothing more than coach speak which like Oats is not what you usually get. In this case Reggie had zero choice but to slough off the question. But don’t let that fool anyone for a second if he could have one win this year other than the MAAC title game it was this one. 

• Like 1

Reggie should have used this as a learning opportunity. Hopefully he’ll examine what Nate does that he doesn’t do and learn from it. Spoon was good at bringing the UB program to a winning level. He consistently got the team into the CBI and CIT. A lot of folks on this board were happy with that. UB made the right decision and wanted more. Canisius has done fine under Reggie. Sure enough they’ve consistently made the CBI and CIT. Is that enough for them?

Curious how many seasons Reggie will have at Canisius until the pressure is turned on to bring them to the big dance. If I were the AD there, I’d have the clock running and would hold him accountable. There should be no special treatment since he’s from the area and had some success with UB. Just a thought. 

15 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

UB was the first ranked opponent Canisius has had at Koessler. If it wasn’t their Super Bowl then it was pretty close to it. I have no issue with what either coach said.

Do agree. After the game it is just coach speak and of course you get different answers from winning and losing coaches. But I disagree with Reggie that it is not a big time game. It should be a local rivalry and for the coaches to not promote it is not good for continuing the interest by the passionate and the casual fans alike. Why would you not try and get your team up for a big time rivalry game?? All coaches have different coaching philosophies on how to get their team up for games. As far as Canisius without Reese having a season like last year and if he does not regain his shooting touch they are in deep trouble especiallly with no front line impact player. Go Bulls!!!!

When you're a ranked team, you're going to expect that teams and fans are going to get up for the game against you.  You're going to get their best.  Maybe it isn't your "Super Bowl" but the idea behind the statement isn't wrong.

I think it's natural that Reggie would've been frustrated after a loss, and how their season has started.  And whatever else is going on there.  But I agree with the people who say that it's a little hypocritical to be all about Big 4 basketball and local rivalries but when it comes time, it's 'just another non conference game.'  Hodgson said earlier this year that UB likes playing these games because of the intensity, it gets them prepared for the intensity of conference games. 

Spend any time talking basketball around here and you'll quickly hear about how the Little Three were a big deal 50-60 years ago.  More often than not these teams beat UB when the Bulls returned to D-1 - there were a lot of smug old faces looking at us then.  The image these places have is caught up in what they once were (probably less so at Bona than at Canisius and Niagara) when the current reality is less glamorous than national-level stars and nationally competitive programs.  Canisius and Niagara folks (especially the ones who actually remember when they were a big deal) do NOT like imagining themselves as a level below UB.  We're just a SUNY after all (which Bona fans desperately chanted at the end of a beatdown).  These places will be all over this being a rivalry except for the days when they're not in a competitive position.  These games are good for local basketball, they capture the attention of the schools and the community.  Canisius is not going to want to hear that playing UB is a big deal for them, because gosh darn it they're still a big deal.  They used to fill the Aud!  UB being better is not how the world is supposed to work.  And a game like this makes some of them look at what the current reality is.

Side note - all that lamenting about the good old days when the Little Three were nationally competitive, when the Aud was full.  Part of the reason that dissolved into what it is now is TV, so people could sit at home and be Duke and Syracuse fans instead.  Part of it was the arrival of the Bills and Sabres (and Braves for a while) who took the attention and top dollar of the Buffalo area.  But we say the same things here at UB - you have enough of a base of alumni and students in the area to fill your arena and be bigger than you are.  In the end, they have to look in the mirror.  How many people who tell you about the good old days are themselves people who don't go to games anymore?  It's not as big as it used to be anymore for a large part because the community doesn't desire it to be.

Edited by enrique14150

The blogger wants to spam the board and drum up controversy but the reality is that Reggie is right. 

No one cares about the Big 4. That is a made up term by the Buffalo News. 

Canisius plays big name schools every year. No one really cares about these games local games. The reason they have a tiny gym is because they don’t have fans. This wasn’t their super bowl and that comment was only meant to make the Bulls sound great.  As if they are like Alabama football or something  

i didn’t care for the comment and believe Reggie was being honest  

32 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Actually it's a lot of fun and should be played up more. I saw Canisius had a sign for this specific rivalry and called it the Battle for Main St. The schools could do even more to hype it up. For example, have the UB team take the subway from the South Campus to the game (similar to how the Mets went to one of their subway series at the Yankees). The city could hold a train just for UB and deck it out in colors, etc...The next year when Canisius come to UB, do the same and then take the bus from the South Campus to Alumni Arena.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, yussi1870 said:

Actually it's a lot of fun and should be played up more. I saw Canisius had a sign for this specific rivalry and called it the Battle for Main St. The schools could do even more to hype it up. For example, have the UB team take the subway from the South Campus to the game (similar to how the Mets went to one of their subway series at the Yankees). The city could hold a train just for UB and deck it out in colors, etc...The next year when Canisius come to UB, do the same and then take the bus from the South Campus to Alumni Arena.

Yeah, Canisius is trying anything to get people to come to basketball games. 

But it it is a gimmick that no one actually cares about. 

You seem to think this is much bigger than if you think the city is going to run a special train for a basketball game watched by 2,000 people. 

Here's what Reggie could easily have said:

"Every team wants to take down a ranked team, period.  They will see everyone's best this year. We made too many mistakes tonight, but it was a good test against a good team."

He got all awkward and dodgy.

It is a rivalry. I'd rather lose two games in league play than one game to Bonnies or Canisius.

They sold out their arena, and they are playing bad BBall. 

Reggie is a good man, but he is not perfect. He didn't handle this well. Period.

35 minutes ago, yussi1870 said:

I love this idea. Too bad Canisius plays in a high school gym. Even got bashed on SC top 10. It's not like Fordham's Rose Hill Gym, which is at least historic.

Edited by ubbulls08

5 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

The blogger wants to spam the board and drum up controversy but the reality is that Reggie is right. 

Canisius plays big name schools every year. No one really cares about these games local games. The reason they have a tiny gym is because they don’t have fans. This wasn’t their super bowl and that comment was only meant to make the Bulls sound great.  As if they are like Alabama football or something  

i didn’t care for the comment and believe Reggie was being honest  

I'm not trying to drum up any controversy. I'm just trying to have a conversation about an observation I made while covering the game last night. That is the point of message boards, correct?

I've heard many people recently refer to the Big 4 as something the Buffalo News created but the truth is, all four schools are invested in its success as well. I interned at Canisius in the past and know plenty of people inside UB. Both of those schools want these games to "mean something."

You're right about fan support being non-existent at times. It's been a struggle for Canisius and Niagara. Same could be said for Buffalo before they recently turned it around under Hurley and Oats.

However, you'll still notice an increase in attendance and local media exposure when the Big 4 schools battle one another. Bona sold out vs. UB, Canisius did as well weeks in advance. It benefits each school to hype up these games.

I honestly wasn't bothered by the comments Nate Oats made. I completely understand where he was coming from and don't think he meant anything by it. At the same time, I also understand why Reggie wouldn't want to pump up his former employer following a loss to them in a rivalry game that takes place every year.

The schools want to sell tickets and hope trying to force a rivalry will do it. They like the inexpensive travel since they are all low budget schools. 

Dont confuse schools pushing the Big Four with the Big Four actually being something people care about. 

Dont act like you’re not trying to make the Big Four mean something so you’ll get clicks. 

The pnly people pushing the Big Four are those that want to get something out of it. It is a contrived and forced concept.  Fans don’t actually care about it. 

6 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

The blogger wants to spam the board and drum up controversy 

Even if this were true, which we don’t know for fact, I don’t see at as a problem. In fact it shows the growth of the program that it would even be worth someone’s time to spam this board and to drum up controversy.

• Like 1

Believe me, I only got back into sports writing because I love college basketball and grew up watching all of the local teams in the Buffalo area.

When I left my broadcasting career, I contacted multiple local websites offering to help out. From the 300 Level and a few other sites responded but I chose From the 300 Level because they gave me the most freedom to post how I wanted.

I'm blogging because I love talking about the local schools. Not many people follow the Big 4 programs anymore (Obviously, that's changing with UB/Bona has always had strong support). Writing about them and posting on message boards and Twitter is my way of interacting with people about something I'm passionate about. I'm not going to lie, I appreciate the clicks but in the long run, they don't impact me.

I'm not getting paid to do this. I'm putting hours of my life outside of work to contribute to the local hoops scene. I used to get paid to talk about sports for a living and figured I could create a decent outlet for fans moving forward.

29 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

The schools want to sell tickets and hope trying to force a rivalry will do it. They like the inexpensive travel since they are all low budget schools. 

Dont confuse schools pushing the Big Four with the Big Four actually being something people care about. 

Dont act like you’re not trying to make the Big Four mean something so you’ll get clicks. 

The pnly people pushing the Big Four are those that want to get something out of it. It is a contrived and forced concept.  Fans don’t actually care about it. 

You are wrong. Our family have been local basketball fans for the years and years. it is not a contrived concept. Yes the culture has changed drastically with TV and all the sports networks. We have been local supporters and it is a fun experience with these local rivalries especially when the teams are competitive and have good exciting players. The gyms at both Canisius and Niagara though small can be exciting places to see competitive basketball. With winning comes more exposure and excitement for the fans both the diehards and the casual fan. Looking for a great conference record and Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1

With that said, I apologize for taking over this conversation and making it about myself. I enjoyed the previous input and agree with many of the above comments.

It might never happen but I'd love to see a day when Buffalonians start appreciating the local basketball scene on a more consistent basis. It's been fun watching people jump on the UB bandwagon and it would be nice to see more people watching all of the local schools.