Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Reggie appeared offended by Oats "Super Bowl" comment

12 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

With that said, I apologize for taking over this conversation and making it about myself. I enjoyed the previous input and agree with many of the above comments.

It might never happen but I'd love to see a day when Buffalonians start appreciating the local basketball scene on a more consistent basis. It's been fun watching people jump on the UB bandwagon and it would be nice to see more people watching all of the local schools.

Don't be so easily dissuaded! Those who can't create often fall back on critique. And there will always be people on fan boards who are suspicious of media coming onto the site. But most of us here crave more UB coverage, and we'll take it whenever we can. 

In short: keep up the coverage, and you're welcome here any time. (I admire that you aren't masking your ID. I'll be at the Jan. 12 game, and will buy you a beer (or pop) if you'd like.) 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dutchcountry7 said:

A win is a win.

Canisius and Niagara mean nothing more than st Francis, Delaware st, or even western Michigan. 

St Bona is the only win that means anything. 

Speak for yourself: I would HATE to lose to Canisius this year or even last year. I can stomach a loss to Toledo. But not to Canisius.  

46 minutes ago, yussi1870 said:

Even if this were true, which we don’t know for fact, I don’t see at as a problem. In fact it shows the growth of the program that it would even be worth someone’s time to spam this board and to drum up controversy.

http://www.voy.com/30982/45542.html

Oh yeah, Canisius is seeing real growth in their program. They are the big time now!  

Why else would the blogger be spamming the Canisius forum too, right?

4 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

http://www.voy.com/30982/45542.html

Oh yeah, Canisius is seeing real growth in their program. They are the big time now!  

Why else would the blogger be spamming the Canisius forum too, right?

You know that part of the job is to get people to read you, right? Think of the writer as an entrepreneur. Not sure why you're being so weird about this

Edited by ubbulls08

16 minutes ago, ubbulls08 said:

Speak for yourself: I would HATE to lose to Canisius this year or even last year. I can stomach a loss to Toledo. But not to Canisius.  

That’s because Canisius is not good. 

Funny how youre okay with loding to Toledo, the second worst team in the conference.  

Would you rather lose to LeMoyne than lose to Canisius?

5 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Funny how youre okay with loding to Toledo, the second worst team in the conference.  

Typo? Should be best. 

I also appreciate the increased coverage. There’s been a few new names out there over the past year, and I enjoy seeing more people and opinions out there. 

35 minutes ago, John said:

You are wrong. Our family have been local basketball fans for the years and years. it is not a contrived concept. Yes the culture has changed drastically with TV and all the sports networks. We have been local supporters and it is a fun experience with these local rivalries especially when the teams are competitive and have good exciting players. The gyms at both Canisius and Niagara though small can be exciting places to see competitive basketball. With winning comes more exposure and excitement for the fans both the diehards and the casual fan. Looking for a great conference record and Go Bulls!!!!

In the last five seasons UB has played Niagara only three times.

If the Big Four mattered, that game would be played every year.

3 minutes ago, rma said:

Typo? Should be best. 

I also appreciate the increased coverage. There’s been a few new names out there over the past year, and I enjoy seeing more people and opinions out there. 

Yes typo. Toledo is good. Canisius is not. 

Of course there is less of a problem with losing to Toledo. 

I dont have a problem with the coverage. It is the constant posts meant to try to drum up controversy. 

The blogger posts them on the different team forums and tries to put them against each other. 

Its a tabloid tactic. Create controversy out of nothing and then present it to the partisans to get them worked up.  

35 minutes ago, ubbulls08 said:

You know that part of the job is to get people to read you, right? Think of the writer as an entrepreneur. Not sure why you're being so weird about this

Yes, I know that. Which is my point. The blogger is trying to force controversy to drum up traffic.  

It is a non story.

the Big Four is not something people care about which is why the Game coverage won’t give the blogger any clicks, there aren’t a lot of fans at the games, and the blogger tries to find an angle to get people to be interested in the game and take a side. 

Edited by dutchcountry7

1 hour ago, ubbulls08 said:

Don't be so easily dissuaded! Those who can't create often fall back on critique. And there will always be people on fan boards who are suspicious of media coming onto the site. But most of us here crave more UB coverage, and we'll take it whenever we can. 

In short: keep up the coverage, and you're welcome here any time. (I admire that you aren't masking your ID. I'll be at the Jan. 12 game, and will buy you a beer (or pop) if you'd like.) 

Thanks for reaching out. I appreciate that! I'll take you up on your offer if I'm able to get off work that Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

In the last five seasons UB has played Niagara only three times.

If the Big Four mattered, that game would be played every year.

We tried to play them this year, they said no. Which is funny because we played the last 2 games at their place.

I think we should play them every year.  It's a good way to have each team pull in a decent opponent and crowd for a home game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rma said:

We tried to play them this year, they said no. Which is funny because we played the last 2 games at their place.

I think we should play them every year.  It's a good way to have each team pull in a decent opponent and crowd for a home game.

I know all this. 

The idea has always been that two local teams can combine their fan bases to draw more fans to a game than playing teams outside the area. That’s why UB wants to play these games. 

But the games are not really cared about. Which is why Niagara doesn’t care about playing it unless they get a home game. They don’t care about playing UB.  The Big Four doesn’t mean anything. 

Regardless of whether the Big 4 is relevant or not is besides the point.

I am a blogger that covers each of the four schools on an individual basis. I write about their play on the court, storylines surrounding each team and post engaging questions on their team boards to create conversations. 

You can say the Big 4 has "no fans" but there was a time when the "Little Three" was very fierce locally. Fans of Niagara, St. Bonaventure and Canisius still gear up for their matchups versus one another. Why shouldn't Buffalo be part of that conversation? That's the whole reason why the Big 4 was created in the first place.

Take the time to read some of my articles and you'll see that I'm not trying to stir the pot. The most controversial things I've brought up so far:

1. Are UB and St. Bonaventure rivals?

2. Is St. Bonaventure going through a re-building season?

3. What's your reaction to Reggie Witherspoon refusing to comment on Nate Oats "Super Bowl" remarks?

Additionally, those were only controversial in the essence that people were split in their responses, meaning the questions were fair and valid. You may consider that stirring the pot, I think of that as having an intriguing conversation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

The blogger wants to spam the board and drum up controversy but the reality is that Reggie is right. 

No one cares about the Big 4. That is a made up term by the Buffalo News. 

Canisius plays big name schools every year. No one really cares about these games local games. The reason they have a tiny gym is because they don’t have fans. This wasn’t their super bowl and that comment was only meant to make the Bulls sound great.  As if they are like Alabama football or something  

i didn’t care for the comment and believe Reggie was being honest  

There are many of us in this area who care about the local teams and I guess you have not met us. Canisius and Niagara have always had small gyms and if you look around the country many schools have small gyms. That does not diminish the fact that there are fans for these teams. No problem with Reggie’s comments but anyone who knew the situation of Reggie’s firing knows he is still bitter about that. I still wish him success at Canisius. If you are trying to compare this to the Alabama, the Duke’s and other colleges you are way off base. Our family continues to enjoy good local college basketball. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

There are many of us in this area who care about the local teams and I guess you have not met us. Canisius and Niagara have always had small gyms and if you look around the country many schools have small gyms. That does not diminish the fact that there are fans for these teams. No problem with Reggie’s comments but anyone who knew the situation of Reggie’s firing knows he is still bitter about that. I still wish him success at Canisius. If you are trying to compare this to the Alabama, the Duke’s and other colleges you are way off base. Our family continues to enjoy good local college basketball. Go Bulls!!!!

Yes, there are fans.  In the same numbers as the local high schools which doesn’t move the needle. 

I am not saying people who go to all of the four colleges to see games don’t exist. I am saying they exist in insignificant numbers. 

They aren’t even the majority of the fans for any one fan base. 

22 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Yes, there are fans.  In the same numbers as the local high schools which doesn’t move the needle. 

I am not saying people who go to all of the four colleges to see games don’t exist. I am saying they exist in insignificant numbers. 

They aren’t even the majority of the fans for any one fan base. 

What numbers are you talking about. Again you are so far off base comparing high school attendance to college. Our family has been to high school games and how many have you attended? Again this is mid major conferences and we are not talking about the major conferences and schools that are on the ESPN’s and other networks. Again the culture shift has changed drastically and it takes winning on a consistent basis to move the needle and get more fans interested. Go Bulls!!!!

11 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

You seem to think this is much bigger than if you think the city is going to run a special train for a basketball game watched by 2,000 people. 

It doesn't have to be a big deal to run a train - metrorail here in socal runs trains for every weeknight angels game, and holds the last trains until 30 min after the game. That's for every lousy team they play in every home game through a 81 home game season.