Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Reggie appeared offended by Oats "Super Bowl" comment

15 hours ago, ed said:

It doesn't have to be a big deal to run a train - metrorail here in socal runs trains for every weeknight angels game, and holds the last trains until 30 min after the game. That's for every lousy team they play in every home game through a 81 home game season.

I might be moving back to North OC soon, if so UB Basketball Socal watch party this spring?

Big 4 Hoops Blogger --> keep writing.  The more press we receive, the better.

I read the article on BN.  I don't know if I would have characterized it as offended.  Perhaps bothered by the question.  Oats' has a point in that it was a big game for the Griffs (i.e. to play a ranked team at home...and a local one at that) .  However, Oats isn't as diplomatic as maybe he should be in how he communicates his points (see the comment about Coach Cal).  

I also can't believe this topic is on its third page...and we don't play again for a few more days.

• Like 3

“Nobody cares about a game against Canisius! Myself included!  And I’m going to post 10 times in this thread to prove it to you!”  Your swimming in a river in Africa my friend.

My fellow UB fans, keep wanting more, holding the powers at be to increasingly lofty goals, continue laying the foundation for a growing and loyal fan base, etc.  But please don’t turn into douchebags ala Syracuse fans.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MillenniumBull said:

“Nobody cares about a game against Canisius! Myself included!  And I’m going to post 10 times in this thread to prove it to you!”  Your swimming in a river in Africa my friend.

My fellow UB fans, keep wanting more, holding the powers at be to increasingly lofty goals, continue laying the foundation for a growing and loyal fan base, etc.  But please don’t turn into douchebags ala Syracuse fans.  

It amazes me how so many UB fans want to believe the Bulls are hated and how every other fan base and team that plays them think it is such an honor to be on the same court as the Bulls. 

Our Bulls aren’t that significant. Maybe with ten more seasons like this one they will be. But right now people don’t think about UB. 

9 hours ago, pottier25 said:

Speaking of Reggie is ,I think his name was, Recovering hillbilly still on here?  I just remember he thought Reggie was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Still here. Yes I enjoyed our debates years ago! Reggie fan but I was there at Alumni clapping Hurley's introdution as head coach by Danny White..and I had deep hate for Hurley (Duke-hater since I can remember).

I was wrong to think he deserved more time after 2012. The time was right, he got us as far as he could. I see he runs that same weave-hand off offense..meh.

Personally, I find it tough watching us play Reggie every year. Reggie was significant for our program. I agree with many posters in that it was time to move on. It seems it was the right choice. I hope Reggie finds success.

As for dutchcountry, speak for yourself. Don't generalize. I care about the Big 4 rivalries. It is fun and should be advertised. I think that this story should be hyped up as it is. You can see where both coaches were coming from. If you don't like it, you don't. Not ALL people.

Although some people might not like Oats comments, opposing fans remember this. Remember what happened this year with Syracuse? Fans were mentioning comments that Oats said last year (we are more physical) and carrying it over to the following year. Rivalries are good. Do you not think that if Cansius beats UB next year that they won't mention Oats comments?! 

On 1/2/2019 at 12:08 AM, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Still here. Yes I enjoyed our debates years ago! Reggie fan but I was there at Alumni clapping Hurley's introdution as head coach by Danny White..and I had deep hate for Hurley (Duke-hater since I can remember).

I was wrong to think he deserved more time after 2012. The time was right, he got us as far as he could. I see he runs that same weave-hand off offense..meh.

A lot of fans were fine making the CBI or CIT year in and year out. Now that we’ve tasted the big leagues it would be tough to go back.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, yussi1870 said:

A lot of fans were fine making the CBI or CIT year in and year out. Now that we’ve tasted the big leagues it would be tough to go back.

Yes it would be tough to go backwards. Let’s face it with the mid major level for a lot of teams they can be very good for a number of years. When they lose a number of their impact players and are not able to replace them with more impact players they can take a step back. Case in point is both Niagara and Canisius lost their impact player or players and have not been able to overcome that sometimes for a variety of reasons. As far as Reggie years at UB it is hard sometimes to separate emotions from reality and facts when making judgements on a coach or a team. We had some successful and exciting years but he could not get us to the next level. He was not a good game day coach who would not make adjustments during a game. We still talk about the Ohio MAC game in Cleveland when Ohio made a big time comeback and Reggie never called a timeout until it was too late. His offense has really not changed over the years and he still does to this day take a hot player out of a game and sometimes does not put him in for many many minutes. Again not a Reggie hater at all but it was just time for a change and here we are today. Again hope for success for all our local teams but especially for our Bulls. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 2