Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#20 UB @ EMU (1/4 - 9:00pm ET)

Kevin

• Jeseph pinned this topic

While their zone is modeled after Cuse I just don’t fear it. Yea it will give us a challenge but if we use our athleticism on the boards and get run outs we should be fine. Rebound and find the soft spots to attack. 

Given that a HUGE home game against Toledo next week looms I’m worried about two things...1) our defense. We have to keep getting better and play 40 minutes of lockdown defense. 2) the overlooking EMU trap game factor. Can’t underestimate it but I think given the time off we should be focus and itching to go.

Hopefully this is a get right tune up game for the battle of the Mac’s best two teams next week. 

I think the main difference between Cuse’s zone and EMU’s zone is the length plus overall athleticism of the Syracuse players. We should match up well or if not better with EMU height wise. Hope we can use this game to improve the offense against zones going forward. Go Bulls.

2 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

I think the main difference between Cuse’s zone and EMU’s zone is the length plus overall athleticism of the Syracuse players. We should match up well or if not better with EMU height wise. Hope we can use this game to improve the offense against zones going forward. Go Bulls.

EMU has decent size up front - 2 players 6’11 and  6’10 and 2 players that are 6’9 and 6’7. They have 7/8 players that average double digit minutes. They are averaging 44% from the field, 26% from the 3 point line and 63% from the free throw line. They are giving up 70 points per game and averaging 70 points per game.  We beat them last year playing good defense and rebounding the ball with 48 rebounds. That should be the key again and being able to hit a decent amount of our 3’s. Go Bulls!!!!!

EMU has been pretty bad this year. They have some talent inside but we should expect to win this game handily. There is some talent in the MAC this year so we can not afford to drop one to one of the lesser teams.

I think part of the key will be limiting some of our forced/heat check 3pt attempts and rebounding well overall as we're not going to make 100% of the "quality" attempts.

No disrespect to EMU but I'll be annoyed if we don't win by close to 15...

30 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

EMU has been pretty bad this year. They have some talent inside but we should expect to win this game handily. There is some talent in the MAC this year so we can not afford to drop one to one of the lesser teams.

I think part of the key will be limiting some of our forced/heat check 3pt attempts and rebounding well overall as we're not going to make 100% of the "quality" attempts.

No disrespect to EMU but I'll be annoyed if we don't win by close to 15...

To your point they only have 2 wins against D1 schools. 2! We should win comfortably.  I’m not gonna put a number on how much we should win by as long as we look sharp. Anything can happen within the conference and on the road but this should be a tune up game.

Let’s make it a business trip and jump on them from the start and squash any hope they have.

3 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

To your point they only have 2 wins against D1 schools. 2! We should win comfortably.  I’m not gonna put a number on how much we should win by as long as we look sharp. Anything can happen within the conference and on the road but this should be a tune up game.

Let’s make it a business trip and jump on them from the start and squash any hope they have.

I do agree that if we play our game we should win. Just need to keep their top scorers in check. They have no Marquette’s Howard!! Did anyone see what Howard did against St. John’s the other night. He scored 8 points and something like 2-14 or so. I seen some of the game and he was shooting bricks so you reall;y never know from one game to the next what a player does. On to the conference wars and Go Bulls!!!!

1 hour ago, John said:

I do agree that if we play our game we should win. Just need to keep their top scorers in check. They have no Marquette’s Howard!! Did anyone see what Howard did against St. John’s the other night. He scored 8 points and something like 2-14 or so. I seen some of the game and he was shooting bricks so you reall;y never know from one game to the next what a player does. On to the conference wars and Go Bulls!!!!

Just goes to show you that if it wasn’t for an epic 3 point shooting performance (one that’s hard to duplicate) we would’ve had a chance. You just tip your cap but that game left me wanting another shot at them bc we all know Marquette can’t and won’t shoot 62% from 3 again. But onward we go. Play D and rebound and everything else should be alright.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Just goes to show you that if it wasn’t for an epic 3 point shooting performance (one that’s hard to duplicate) we would’ve had a chance. You just tip your cap but that game left me wanting another shot at them bc we all know Marquette can’t and won’t shoot 62% from 3 again. But onward we go. Play D and rebound and everything else should be alright.

And what a difference it makes when teams play on a neutral court (NCAA tourney). UB can beat almost anyone on a neutral court. The trick is winning 3 or 4 in a row (at least).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

That’s why they play the games and all the talk before a game really is just the hype for the game. Case in point CJ’s 43 against WVU. If he does not score that many points would we still have won or who else on the team would have come through for us. From a team standpoint you just have to keep winning games no matter who you are playing and let the rankings take care of themselves.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Was this moved to 9 for CBSSN? Maybe it doesn't effect players much but I've always assumed a "typical" start time is preferred?

CBSSN has the Ball St at Toledo game on at 7PM and then the UB game. I will watch some of the Toledo game to take a look at both teams. Should be an exciting night of basketball. Go Bulls!!!!

3 minutes ago, John said:

CBSSN has the Ball St at Toledo game on at 7PM and then the UB game. I will watch some of the Toledo game to take a look at both teams. Should be an exciting night of basketball. Go Bulls!!!!

The MAC is taking center stage tonight.  There are really no other games on the slate and we are the only ranked team playing tonight.  Good scheduling by the conference.  Lets go boys!

5 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

The MAC is taking center stage tonight.  There are really no other games on the slate and we are the only ranked team playing tonight.  Good scheduling by the conference.  Lets go boys!

Amazing what can happen when you have a winning successful team or teams and a conference that is on the upswing this year. Hope to get more interest from the CBSSN’s , NBCSN’s and ESPN. Now if only Spectrum would consider some future game but I know it comes down to $$$. Go Bulls!!!!!

22 minutes ago, John said:

Amazing what can happen when you have a winning successful team or teams and a conference that is on the upswing this year. Hope to get more interest from the CBSSN’s , NBCSN’s and ESPN. Now if only Spectrum would consider some future game but I know it comes down to $$$. Go Bulls!!!!!

Been saying it for awhile the heads of the conference need to raise the profile of the conference as a whole.  That means continuing the uphill battle of scheduling better in the non conference.  There is no reason why EMU should have 4 wins against non D1 schools.  The conference heads also have to try to get some agreement with another conference for an annual head to head.  Even if its only for 2 seasons (one home and home). And yes each individual school has to do better in terms of scheduling. If we can become a multi bid league that would be great.

12 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Been saying it for awhile the heads of the conference need to raise the profile of the conference as a whole.  That means continuing the uphill battle of scheduling better in the non conference.  There is no reason why EMU should have 4 wins against non D1 schools.  The conference heads also have to try to get some agreement with another conference for an annual head to head.  Even if its only for 2 seasons (one home and home). And yes each individual school has to do better in terms of scheduling. If we can become a multi bid league that would be great.

Do 100% agree. With what is happening with especially the power conferences with increasing conference games all the mid major conference heads have to come together and schedule non conference games against other high mid majors and tell the power conferences to jam their non conference schedule. I know this is for another time to discuss better alternatives to scheduling but something has to be done. Go Bulls!!!!!

1 hour ago, John said:

Now if only Spectrum would consider some future game but I know it comes down to $$$. Go Bulls!!!!!

I really do not think that Spectrum would be able to televise a game without buying the rights from ESPN or CBS., and why would they pay for at least a CBS Sports Network Game when it is already on their system.  With the move to ESPN+ they are also unlikely to give a game away.

Also Spectrum would  take away a game from everyone who has Directv or Dish Network, reducing the amount of people who could watch the game from where it is streaming.

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

I really do not think that Spectrum would be able to televise a game without buying the rights from ESPN or CBS., and why would they pay for at least a CBS Sports Network Game when it is already on their system.  With the move to ESPN+ they are also unlikely to give a game away.

Also Spectrum would  take away a game from everyone who has Directv or Dish Network, reducing the amount of people who could watch the game from where it is streaming.

What I meant was games that were not on the other major networks and stations. I know Spectrum can not compete against those networks. Go Bulls!!!!!