Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Miami (OH) @ #19 UB (1/12 - 12pm ET)

15 minutes ago, UB_Prush said:

Yeah, he's built to play the college game as a freshman. There's no reason he can't be a contributor come March but definitely rough around the edges.

Yeah, he had that great drive and 1 but bricked a couple 3s very quickly after. I do love his aggressiveness though and quick release.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, UB_Prush said:

Over/under on how much time Perkins misses?  I'm praying it's only a couple weeks.

I expect he'll miss none. He was back on the bench near the end of the game. Even walked out for the under 4min TO and was testing it.  Do ice on it.  Seemed to be walking fine in the few steps I saw him take.

8 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Yeah, he had that great drive and 1 but bricked a couple 3s very quickly after. I do love his aggressiveness though and quick release.

After the Gottleib podcast that Oats did I no longer mind younger players missing shots when it doesn’t hurt the team. Keep shooting, they’ll starting going in and then look out. Imagine this team with even one more contributing scorer!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

One his best performances of the season so far. Contributed in other ways and played instinctually. Rondo was solid too. Eventually he will develop a mid range pull up game like Wes Clark.

This game was slightly uncomfortably close for too much of it until the Bulls made a run midway through the second half and put it away.  They started sluggish on defense, Miami got to the hoop a couple times and took an early lead.  Then 5 minutes of great basketball, followed by 10 minutes of underwhelming basketball.  And yet, as we said in 113, they were still winning at the half.  I felt like as usual the defense got tighter in the second half and they turned enough of those turnovers and rebounds into points, to built a lead they could sit on.  Not the greatest performance we've seen from them but more than enough to beat a .500 MAC opponent.  The Bulls did a better job rebounding in the second half too.

Miami's plan was to rotate 11 guys, foul like crazy, slow down the tempo of the game.  And it worked for a while.  Wow they have some characters.  I would pay to watch #14 try to run up and down the court.  I expected him to go nuts for donuts when that promotion came up. #22 was a treasure (the one with the man-bun) - fouled a UB guy almost as far from the basket as you could get, and had an air-ball that makes the half-time half-court heaves look good.  At the beginning my brother asked when we can expect to see Monty St. Clair, Junior - then #21 comes out there.

Dontay - buzzed around well on defense, had a couple steals and layups in the second half to blow the game open
Williams - a great put-back and foul in the first half
Jordan - yeah, I agree with another poster, he hasn't been as sharp lately
Montell - another nice game from him, mostly off the bench. 

A big crowd today but without the students, it's like a Sabres crowd - not much life to it, everyone there just to watch, everyone waiting for the jumbotron to tell them to do something.  We heard you 6 True Blue members, we were trying to cheer along.  The DJs were not helping things.  The music they played especially in the second half was largely funereal.  Example - a minute and a half in, UB started well, Miami takes a timeout, this is the time to ride the momentum and get the crowd going, what do they play?  Some slow, somber R&B song.  Come on, man.  But I love the turnout from the community, an almost full house at noon on a Saturday.  Keep it up.

• Like 2

I expect them to have some sluggish halves (maybe games) against the lesser teams in the MAC. So hard to be up for every game. Impossible actually.  But theyll be ready for the better teams and theyll take care of business. Destroyed 2 of the better teams already by 30 and 16 on the road.  What a season its shaping up to be.

Caruthers was just so awesome today. I know Perkins is technically a bench player but it seems like cheating to consider him as such. I can’t think of a better “true” bench player than Caruthers in my time following UB. He brings unparalleled energy and defense to the court when he comes in. That run to seal it in the second half seemed to be entirely on his shoulders.

• Like 2

When you defend, force turnovers and rebound you can win when the shots aren't falling.  And that's what we did today.  The second half was obviously better than the 1st.  We shot 50%, made some 3s and hit FTs better in the 2nd half (FT shooting still needs to improve).  In the end it's another huge victory.  We are gonna get everyone's best shot and on the road it's gonna be tougher but our leadership and depth is too good.  At some point we will lose a game but I can't see us losing too many.

Hope the Perkins injury isn't too serious.  Grade 1 ankle sprain but we travel and play on Tuesday so maybe he's held out a game.  Would be a big blow to our size but his health long term is more important.

Def was scared about Perk but I think he’ll be ok. Ankle sprains suck for sure but get him rehabbing and in an ankle brace and he’ll be back soon. I trust the trainers to get him back soon. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was limited on Tuesday but I think he’ll get some playing time. 

Miamis pace just really killed us for a while there but we were just too strong in the end. Going to be a great Monday. Let’s get prepared for Tuesday as no away game is going to be easy. Go bulls 

1 hour ago, yussi1870 said:

Other games to watch:

- need Syracuse over GT

- Wich over Houston

- SF over Gonz

The only thing we truly need is for UB to keep winning. The outside wins are all nice and good and make us look even better, but we just need to take care of our own business. Such and impressive first 3 MAC games. 15 more of those in the regular season would be nice, followed by 3 more in Cleveland. Then, 6 more and we're dancing in the streets! 

Seriously though, one game at a time, stay hungry and don't rest on your laurels boys!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 01bull said:

6k without students is great - since most of those tickets are revenue tickets instead of free student seats.  It could have been the largest financial gate ever for the atheltics dept

Maybe for basketball.  The Baylor game, and heck any football game brings in so much more than basketball will.