Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Starting QB for 2019

zigo230

I didn't see a thread yet for this.  Never too soon to start ranking the candidates.  Looks like Kolston Brewster has decided to transfer.  He probably knew that he wouldn't get any playing time at UB.  So unless I'm missing someone that leaves the following QB's to battle it out.

Kyle Vantrease

Dominic Johnson

Matt Myers

Trevor Bycznski (true freshman)

I had to coach against Matt Myers at two different schools during his high school career, once as an 8th grader (at which time he may have already been the best qb in buffalo) and then as a senior.  He is without a doubt one of the best QB prospects I've seen in a long time.  I'm really looking forward to watching him at UB.  Good arm, savy kid, and I've seen him just truck a number of players while running his RPO packages....I really think he is going to be something special

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Rotaryfield bleachers said:

I had to coach against Matt Myers at two different schools during his high school career, once as an 8th grader (at which time he may have already been the best qb in buffalo) and then as a senior.  He is without a doubt one of the best QB prospects I've seen in a long time.  I'm really looking forward to watching him at UB.  Good arm, savy kid, and I've seen him just truck a number of players while running his RPO packages....I really think he is going to be something special

He was also a student at Joe Licata's football clinics.

• Thanks 1

Paul Peck's thoughts on Tyree and the next man up here.

Peck mentions grad transfer as an option, but unless it is a Jalen Hurts or Brandon Wimbush from ND, meh, I say stick with our players.

2019 will look stable compared to other questionable QB years. Licata and Tyree had to play above their heads as R-Fr. Licata had to play under 4 different offensive coordinators. Willy was thrown to the wolves as a true Fr.

Vantrease will be in his 3rd sping practice, a true Jr, with the same offense. I think it's his job to lose unless Myers just wows moving the offense.

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly

Reports are that Hurts has visied The U, Oklahoma, Maryland, and USF. Wimbush is mostly likely going to Penn St, also visited UCF. Vegas betting odds have us at 20/1 to grab him.

Looking at our returners:

Vantrease

5 GP/1 Start 29-66  375 yds 2TD/2Int. ~150 offensive plays. Sacked 6 times last year, better in 2018. Not a runner. Led scoring drives in all games but NIU last season. His best passes were:

11 yd TD to Mabry (Mabry's 1st career TD)
8 yd TD to A.J.
47 yd to A.J.
43 yd to Nunn
37 yd to Holsey

Johnson played 4 games. 1-2, 1 Int. Under 25 offensive plays.

Myers played less than 10 plays. Had his awesome read option TD run called back.

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly

12 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Reports are that Hurts has visied The U, Oklahoma, Maryland, and USF. Wimbush is mostly likely going to Penn St, also visited UCF. Vegas betting odds have us at 20/1 to grab him.

Looking at our returners:

Vantrease

5 GP/1 Start 29-66  375 yds 2TD/2Int. ~150 offensive plays. Sacked 6 times last year, better in 2018. Not a runner. Led scoring drives in all games but NIU last season. His best passes were:

11 yd TD to Mabry (Mabry's 1st career TD)
8 yd TD to A.J.
47 yd to A.J.
43 yd to Nunn
37 yd to Holsey

Johnson played 4 games. 1-2, 1 Int. Under 25 offensive plays.

Myers played less than 10 plays. Had his awesome read option TD run called back.

He really wanted that TD (Myers).

Vantrease is the leader as of now I'd assume, but I would not be shocked if it is someone else who wins the job to start the season.

• 3 weeks later...

It will either be Vantrease or Myers. I’d give the nod to Vantrease to start the season. 

Vantrease should still be a RS Sophmore due to the new rules. If you noticed during the season, Leipold would put Dom Johnson in for mop up duty because he was trying to redshirt Vantrease this year because he couldn’t last year. It’s not because Johnson was the primary backup 

12 hours ago, Eagles1105 said:

It will either be Vantrease or Myers. I’d give the nod to Vantrease to start the season. 

Vantrease should still be a RS Sophmore due to the new rules. If you noticed during the season, Leipold would put Dom Johnson in for mop up duty because he was trying to redshirt Vantrease this year because he couldn’t last year. It’s not because Johnson was the primary backup 

So did Vantrease get the redshirt for last year?  Seemed like he played a lot.