Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Toledo @ #19 UB (1/8 - 7pm ET)

Jeseph

Definitely need to stay on the shooters.  In the first half of the Marquette game with Howard out we let the brothers still get looks at three which killed us.  A point in the game when their offensive catalyst was out and a team with only 2 other options we still let them get open looks.  Toledo is a bit different, in that they shoot the 3 1-5 where Marq had just 3 shooters but the defensive theory is the same, limit help, stay on your man. And if the guy your guarding has 5 inches on you, deny the ball!

From what I saw against Ball State was Toledo’s defense is bad. Parsons was able to get to the rim at will. We have to exploit that. Against EMU we shot like 60% from inside the arc. The 3 ball hasn’t been falling with consistency this season so let’s take advantage on the inside.

And yes defense is a major factor. Toledo can score so we have to defend and limit 2nd chance scoring. Rebounding has to be better. I’ll give us a pass against EMU but poor rebounding can’t become an issue.

I totally agree; it starts with defense and rebounding. With that said last year's opener with Toledo was a barn burner with not a whole lot of defense. We'd go up 20, They'd cut the lead to 5. We'd go up 15 and so on. Final score was something like 102-92.

A fun drinking game for the game tommorow that my roommates and I used to play: take a drink everytime former UB commit Nate Navigato (we dodged a bullet) dribbles the ball. Make sure to pregame because you won't drink much during the game.

Outside of Willie Jackson Toledo is super unathletic and their defense shows it. Also Davonta and Dontay should be able to clamp Sanford. I don't think this game is that close to be honest.

• Like 1

There are tons of local students that should attend, but likely won't. I think that the crowd will be strong regardless, 5k+. The community is excited to jump on this bandwagon. Home Sabres game cuts into it slightly, but the seats should be filled (I think, and hope!). 

Can't wait. Is it 7pm yet???

UB plays hard, excited in their own arena, brings home a 15 point W. Go Bulls!

17 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

A fun drinking game for the game tommorow that my roommates and I used to play: take a drink everytime former UB commit Nate Navigato (we dodged a bullet) dribbles the ball. Make sure to pregame because you won't drink much during the game.

I like this idea.  Not sure if my boss will allow it during the game, but I like it just the same.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/25707658/buffalo-test-vs-toledo-point-march

Article featured on ESPN.com about tonight's game.

It has been a while since one could honestly say that Buffalo needs no introduction in college basketball terms, but that's certainly the case in 2019.

The Bulls are 13-1 and ranked No. 19 in the nation. Nate Oats' up-tempo team gets good looks both at the rim and from beyond the arc. CJ Massinburg is an outstanding scorer (ask Jim Boeheim) and, at 6-foot-8 and 250 pounds, Nick Perkins is a handful for any opponent. We've been over all of this, and UB is for real.

Now the question is: Just how far can this for-real team go in the NCAA tournament come March?

The Bulls have played road games at West Virginia, Syracuse and Marquette, but the tests will keep coming in Mid-American Conference play.

In fact, the MAC is currently ranked No. 9 in Division I at KenPom, marking the league's best showing in the past 15 years. UB is helping that number along, of course, but the rest of the conference is doing its part.

Speaking of one historically strong MAC team, Toledo plays at Buffalo at 7 p.m. ET Tuesday on ESPN+. The Rockets are the defending MAC West champions, and most of that team has returned for 2018-19. The game against Tod Kowalczyk's group figures to be the first of several stiff challenges facing the Bulls as they seek to defend their MAC title.

Toledo's led by Jaelan Sanford, who opened the season with a 30-point performance in a true road victory at Oakland. When he's not busy scoring from both sides of the line, the 6-4 senior also is an accomplished passer.

Still, the Rockets are more than just Sanford. Nate Navigato might be the best perimeter scorer Buffalo has seen this season. At 6-8, the senior could be a tough assignment for Massinburg (6-3) or even Jeremy Harris (6-7). Navigato has been thriving in catch-and-shoot situations all season long.

Toledo spreads the floor, shares the ball and makes you defend the 3. If you think that sounds kind of like Buffalo, you're right. Then again, it also sounds like Marquette, the one team that has beaten the Bulls so far.

One last thing: Expect to see points put on the board. Buffalo's known to prefer a fast pace, and the Rockets have scored 80 or more points eight times in the first 14 games. Toledo's coming off a loss to Ball State (another threat to the Bulls), and Sanford & Co. will be looking to get back on track with a true signature victory. Should be a good one.

What a game! Came out like gangbusters and went up 20. Then got a bit sloppy and Toledo got back into it at halftime. Then the flood gates opened. Holy Cow! This team is amazingly explosive. They scored 65 in the second half. Harris was absolutely afire! Carruthers again showed he’s one of the toughest players in all of college basketball. The defense was outstanding most of the game by the main 6-7 players. They rebounded lights out and ran like thoroughbreds. Enjoy this fellas! It will be very difficult to top this team. Let’s keep it rolling! Go Bulls!

• Like 1

Toledo's strength of schedule may be starting to show up a bit but man, this is a weird feeling for me as a sports fan. I really think the sky is the limit with this team. I've never supported a team in any sport that has done so much in such little time. These are special times. I keep waiting for that big disappointment and aside from a freakish night for Howard, we keep delivering. Keep it up Bulls, glad that Harris has found himself too.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, UB_Prush said:

Toledo's strength of schedule may be starting to show up a bit but man, this is a weird feeling for me as a sports fan. I really think the sky is the limit with this team. I've never supported a team in any sport that has done so much in such little time. These are special times. I keep waiting for that big disappointment and aside from a freakish night for Howard, we keep delivering. Keep it up Bulls, glad that Harris has found himself too.

My thoughts as well.