Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

KJ to the U

rma

I hope he falls flat on his face. I love how he "thanks" UB and the coaches, while essentially saying that he's better than the school, coaches and his teammates. Maybe he can drop some more TD passes (2 gimmes), like he did in the MAC championship. 

Edited by skrabukes
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I hope he falls flat on his face. I love how he "thanks" UB and the coaches, while essentially saying that he's better than the school, coaches and his teammates. Maybe he can drop some more TD passes (2 gimmes), like he did in the MAC championship. 

dont be that guy.

Just now, bull_trojan said:

dont be that guy.

Oh, I'm sorry. Yay! Congratulations KJ! You're wonderful!

I hope that you enjoyed the $200k of scholarship from UB and if somehow, some way you get drafted, on draft day, it will be "KJ Osborn from Miami". 

Are we that lame that we are happy for him? If we are, I need to deeply reconsider my purchase of tickets and amount of donations in the future. 

Im just saying. 

You can have a team of 4 stars that dont want to be here

and I'll take a team of 3 stars that want to be here. 

I think my 3's would beat your 4's 99 times out of 100.

Charlie Jones #1 WR. Antonio Nunn #2 Isaish King with the speed i've been hearing about for 3 years #3 LETS EAT.

Edited by bull_trojan

6 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

Im just saying. 

You can have a team of 4 stars that dont want to be here

and I'll take a team of 3 stars that want to be here. 

I think my 3's would beat your 4's 99 times out of 100.

Charlie Jones #1 WR. Antonio Nunn #2 Isaish King with the speed i've been hearing about for 3 years #3 LETS EAT.

Wow, ok. So in a year or two, when those guys or another position player chooses to do the same thing, will you be "Eating" well then?

Our redshirt of KJ was well worth it for UB football. Spent a scholarship (that could've been used somewhere else for someone "who wanted to be here") so that he could get bigger/faster/stronger just so he can use those skills at Miami.

Yay! Go KJ Go! We're so happy and proud of you!

Eh. I’m ok with it.  It’s not like he was here for a year and bolted. He contributed and graduated. This is the new world of college FB players. They have options now. It stinks for UB that he took his talents elsewhere, but for KJ? It’s gotta be really cool to go to a national program like the U, with all that history. 

On the flip side I saw that Miami had a need because they had two WRs transfer to other programs.  So this moving around is happening all over, it’s not unique to UB.

15 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Wow, ok. So in a year or two, when those guys or another position player chooses to do the same thing, will you be "Eating" well then?

Our redshirt of KJ was well worth it for UB football. Spent a scholarship (that could've been used somewhere else for someone "who wanted to be here") so that he could get bigger/faster/stronger just so he can use those skills at Miami.

Yay! Go KJ Go! We're so happy and proud of you!

So in a two years after his RS Junior season, Charlie Jones goes to Clemson. Yes I will be saying the same. We'll have had 4 recruiting classes to get a guy with more upside than Charlie Jones. That's the goal of recruiting, to get players better than the ones you already have. If Charlie gets his degree he won't impact our APR. I won't be mad he redshirted a year because he was a freshman and he wasn't going to get any playing time anyway over Anthony Johnson and KJ Osborn.

And yes, if you in 2022 want to take a don't wanna be here Charlie Jones and put him up against my (current High School Junior) to be recruited to UB later who is all about the Bulls, I'll beat you 99 out of 100 times in 2022.

8 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

Eh. I’m ok with it.  It’s not like he was here for a year and bolted. He contributed and graduated. This is the new world of college FB players. They have options now. It stinks for UB that he took his talents elsewhere, but for KJ? It’s gotta be really cool to go to a national program like the U, with all that history. 

On the flip side I saw that Miami had a need because they had two WRs transfer to other programs.  So this moving around is happening all over, it’s not unique to UB.

If that's the case, UB should never redshirt another player again. Why do it, so they can play elsewhere? If that's the "new world", then play your 4 years and see ya. If you needed another year of development, oh well, too bad so sad.

1 minute ago, bull_trojan said:

So in a two years after his RS Junior season, Charlie Jones goes to Clemson. Yes I will be saying the same. We'll have had 4 recruiting classes to get a guy with more upside than Charlie Jones. That's the goal of recruiting, to get players better than the ones you already have. If Charlie gets his degree he won't impact our APR. I won't be mad he redshirted a year because he was a freshman and he wasn't going to get any playing time anyway over Anthony Johnson and KJ Osborn.

And yes, if you in 2022 want to take a don't wanna be here Charlie Jones and put him up against my (current High School Junior) to be recruited to UB later who is all about the Bulls, I'll beat you 99 out of 100 times in 2022.

You're funny. I'll remember that one in a few years. Who are all these huge stars that you're speaking of that are going to replace players that our staff developed? We need to develop guys who may be "under the radar" or "not quite developed". We need those guys that we can develop to play for us, not someone else. We don't generally get the "polished" guys coming out of HS. I must be on some other school's fan page if this is untrue. 

Not gunna lie I’m a little upset. One decent year and everyone seems to jump ship... next year could be another rough one and it will be extra difficult to get 2 winning seasons in a row. New qbs, top 2 wrs gone, best defender gone. Please let the RBs stay :( I bet if they continue their success we will lose one or both at some point 

Important to know that these players are human, are not bound by any contract, and can actually transfer wherever they want if they want to sit out playing a year.

Yes, it sucks we lost KJ.  It sucks we lost Collin Lisa a few years ago.  It sucks whenever we lose somebody.  However if they don't want to stay here, so be it.  They are students who are not being paid, and can choose to take their talents somewhere else if they want.  If you graduate from UB and decide to pursue a grad degree elsewhere should you be called out for going to another school?  "No true Bull would go elsewhere" 

Should undergrads that get accepted to top med schools be wished ill fate if they don't go to the UB Med school?  "That surgeon over there has his undergrad from UB, but went to Johns Hopkins for med school.  I hope he gets a ton of malpractice claims."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rma said:

Important to know that these players are human, are not bound by any contract, and can actually transfer wherever they want if they want to sit out playing a year.

Yes, it sucks we lost KJ.  It sucks we lost Collin Lisa a few years ago.  It sucks whenever we lose somebody.  However if they don't want to stay here, so be it.  They are students who are not being paid, and can choose to take their talents somewhere else if they want.  If you graduate from UB and decide to pursue a grad degree elsewhere should you be called out for going to another school?  "No true Bull would go elsewhere" 

Should undergrads that get accepted to top med schools be wished ill fate if they don't go to the UB Med school?  "That surgeon over there has his undergrad from UB, but went to Johns Hopkins for med school.  I hope he gets a ton of malpractice claims."

I love how your points are not even close to the same as this situation.  Colin Lisa came here after leaving UAB once it dropped football. When it got football back, he went back there. Hardly the same as recruiting a guy, developing him for 4 years, then having him leave when at his peak. Same goes for the med student. The med student didn't get 4 free years of scholarship,  1 of which was given without having him play, just so he could go elsewhere for that prime year.

We're awfully cuddly on this board. Once again, Yay for KJ, UB just will take the L on this one, while most on here think that it's a great thing. "Forever a Bull" 

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JGrpHszRhTc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by skrabukes

KJ was a good receiver...for the MAC.  It is unfortunate to lose him since he would easily be the next QB's #1 target, but Next Bull In.

However, he wasn't AJ.  He dropped a lot of passes, especially in the second half of the year.  Given the state of Miami's receiving corp, he will help as an experienced player.  

He graduated and moved on.  He will be Forever a Bull and had very important contributions to the most successful football season.

I prefer to see this as a glass half full.  At least we had really good players who have drawn the interest of P5 programs.

Whoever comes and goes...players or coaches, I will always Bleed Blue.

Go Bulls.

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

Same goes for the med student. The med student didn't get 4 free years of scholarship,  1 of which was given without having him play, just so he could go elsewhere for that prime year.

Anecdotally, I don't know of a single person that I went to school with that ended up at med school that attended UB an anything other a Presidential Scholarship.  Besides Loesing, the Ups sisters, and a few other S-As whose names escape me.  Presidential scholarship covers most, if not all, of the cost of attendance for in state students.  Best of all, they don't have to play any sport!  They just get to go to school for free and have all of the prestige taken away by some better school - UB will just take the L while they attended undergrad for free.

16 minutes ago, rma said:

Anecdotally, I don't know of a single person that I went to school with that ended up at med school that attended UB an anything other a Presidential Scholarship.  Besides Loesing, the Ups sisters, and a few other S-As whose names escape me.  Presidential scholarship covers most, if not all, of the cost of attendance for in state students.  Best of all, they don't have to play any sport!  They just get to go to school for free and have all of the prestige taken away by some better school - UB will just take the L while they attended undergrad for free.

Realistically, I don't know of too many presidential scholarships that are given out for students to sit out a year and improve themselves, without completing any coursework. Essentially, that's what the athletic redshirt does. It allows the athlete to sit out, while on scholarship, and improve their ability. In my mind, UB doesn't use those redshirt years to build up their players, just so they can go elsewhere when they are in their final year. 

As for all of these doctors, they are graduating from UB, heading into their field of work with a UB degree. I'm certain that whatever degree KJ earned is not the field that he wishes to pursue a job in. His desired job is football. Again, if KJ left UB for another school to go into their graduate degree program to become whatever it is that he wishes to do, and not play football, I'm absolutely wishing him nothing but the best. Unfortunately, he used us to become a better player and another team is reaping the rewards of UB's development of him.

37 minutes ago, UB92 said:

At least we had really good players who have drawn the interest of P5 programs.

Are we a JV program? I thought that we were a Division 1 FBS program that competes in the same division as the P5 schools. I'm not completely naive in thinking that it is completely a level playing field (as I know the difference between the P5/non P5, just ask UCF and their "national championship from a year ago), but still, UB is not a school that is hoping to have their players "draw interest from P5 programs". When they recruit guys out of high school, and some of those guys have P5 interest, that's great. Once they are at UB, we shouldn't be hoping that they "draw P5 interest". We want them to improve here, win here, draw NFL interest as a UB Bull. I don't give a flying fig about someone getting this P5 interest and then leaving us for a "better place". These aren't end of season JV or Triple-A call ups.

Maybe I'm way, way off in my thinking, but I really don't think so. If UB football's goal is to have these guys move on to "better programs", then we are wasting a lot of time and money with the football program. We should be wanting to build UB and their players to excel for US, not the P5 teams as they take our All-league players in their final year.

If I could quickly weigh in here... coming from a Hokie Bull perspective this is like watching one of your dear but impressionable younger siblings join a gang.  

I hope he doesn't die, but I can no longer call him my brother.

PS: I tend to agree with skrabukes vitriol

Edited by Hokie200proof
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Oh, I'm sorry. Yay! Congratulations KJ! You're wonderful!

I hope that you enjoyed the $200k of scholarship from UB and if somehow, some way you get drafted, on draft day, it will be "KJ Osborn from Miami". 

Are we that lame that we are happy for him? If we are, I need to deeply reconsider my purchase of tickets and amount of donations in the future. 

The dude did what was asked of him. He got his degree and played some pretty damn good football on the way. Check yourself. 

Edited by Reverend_Goose
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Are we a JV program? I thought that we were a Division 1 FBS program that competes in the same division as the P5 schools. I'm not completely naive in thinking that it is completely a level playing field (as I know the difference between the P5/non P5, just ask UCF and their "national championship from a year ago), but still, UB is not a school that is hoping to have their players "draw interest from P5 programs". When they recruit guys out of high school, and some of those guys have P5 interest, that's great. Once they are at UB, we shouldn't be hoping that they "draw P5 interest". We want them to improve here, win here, draw NFL interest as a UB Bull. I don't give a flying fig about someone getting this P5 interest and then leaving us for a "better place". These aren't end of season JV or Triple-A call ups.

Maybe I'm way, way off in my thinking, but I really don't think so. If UB football's goal is to have these guys move on to "better programs", then we are wasting a lot of time and money with the football program. We should be wanting to build UB and their players to excel for US, not the P5 teams as they take our All-league players in their final year.

Maybe your are right.  I think about this in a holistic sense, though.  In that not too distant past, many of our players were guys who got one FBS offer -- Buffalo.

Imagine you are KJ.  You've played three years at UB and have a degree.  You have a desire to play in the NFL.  This last year is important for you to attract the attention of the scouts (AJ got the bulk of that last year...even when he didn't play).   The best QB on the team, Jackson, is leaving...and there will be an unproven and inexperienced QB on the team (barring some sort of grad transfer, which would be unlikely).  The likelihood of KJ attracting the NFL in Buffalo is likely less than at Miami (maybe even a lot less).

That's my thought on KJ.  It isn't like he is going to Kansas...he's going to Miami.  

I hope AJ and Tyree are fantastic at the combine/pro day and are drafted in an early round.    It keeps emphasizing the point that you can get to the NFL from UB.

If it was more than one player transferring and those in different situations, I'd think differently.

• Thanks 1