Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MAC Chain of Command

LOL 6th. 

The MAC comments on bashing Buffalo? Says the teams from nowhere parts of their states. 

What have you done for me lately? There should be way more precedence on the last 6-7 years. UB put the MAC back on the radar. 

I mean UB and Toledo should be flipped to me. 

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

LOL 6th. 

The MAC comments on bashing Buffalo? Says the teams from nowhere parts of their states. 

What have you done for me lately? There should be way more precedence on the last 6-7 years. UB put the MAC back on the radar. 

I mean UB and Toledo should be flipped to me. 

Eh, I thought it was a fair assessment. We don't have a lot of tradition and the city has an undeserved rep. But it's still a region with a million+ people with a lot more options than Mt. Pleasant MI.  But overall, UB belongs more in a conference like the AAC than the MAC.

Edited by promotherobot

Meh.  Most of the negatives for UB are borne out of the University historically not investing money in athletics (formerly due to SUNY rules, more recently due to administration).

Statistically as an institution of higher education, UB is a Big Ten or American Conference school.  Not a MAC school.  With the exception of UB, Miami, and Ohio, the MAC consists of academically middling regional 2nd and 3rd tier publics.  

UB's peer institutions are schools like Michigan, Rutgers, UCONN, Wisconsin, WVU, Pitt etc.  I'm not pulling this out of thin air. https://www.chronicle.com/interactives/peers-network

Keep in mind that data is from 2012 and UB has grown in size and improved measurable in academics since then.

Athletically, UB is a MAC school.  As an institution, it is not.  If there is ever an investment in athletics, the school could and should be in a larger conference simply due to the university profile.

In the latest WSJ/Higher Ed Times rankings of national public universities UB was #28.  25-30 went like:

25 - Penn State
26 - Virginia Tech
27 - Minnesota
28 - Buffalo
29 - Illinois - Chicago
30 - NC State

The only MAC school in the top 100 was Miami at #78

Edited by UBigbobby
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, UBigbobby said:

With the exception of UB, Miami, and Ohio, the MAC consists of academically middling regional 2nd and 3rd tier publics.  

In terms of ranking, Ohio is still 100ish spots lower than us (USNWR).  If we're comparing R&D, UB might be more than the rest of the MAC combined (NSF site is down unfortunately).

12 hours ago, rma said:

In terms of ranking, Ohio is still 100ish spots lower than us (USNWR).  If we're comparing R&D, UB might be more than the rest of the MAC combined (NSF site is down unfortunately).

Yea, but Ohio is a major research university.  They aren't amazing academically, but they're a major university center with like 27,000 students.  While they lag far behind UB in academics, in terms of overall profile, they're closer to UB than a directional Michigan or regional Ohio school like Kent or Akron.

• Like 1

Hi. Just want to add that Research universities are ranked as R1, "Highest Research Activity", or R2, "Higher Research Activity", by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Learning.  Agree that Ohio U is a large school, but is in a different category of research activity than UB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_research_universities_in_the_United_States

• Like 2