Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin

MAC Power Rankings: Week 1

I think there’s a handful of teams that for specific reasons can present challenges, but this is our conference to lose.

From 2-8 you’re gonna see teams jockey and bang heads all season long. But I think going forward CMU, EMU (bc of the size and zone) Toledo, Ball St and Kent St are the biggest threats. Maybe Akron and/or Ohio can challenge but we should dominate. And BG tends to always fall off.

• Like 1

Ball State. Despite them losing to EMU, on paper, I think Ball State has the second best/talented roster in the MAC. And they should pose quite the challenge this season, and may be out for blood for "upsetting" them last season.

• Like 1

Yeah, that loss against EMU at home hurts. Bowling Green truly is playing the second best ball, could change tomorrow though. BG gets EMU so that should be a good test. 

If I had to break the MAC into tiers, this is how I would put it.

Tier 1:

1. Buffalo

Tier 2:

1. Ball State
  2. Toledo
  3. Kent State

Tier 3:

1. Eastern Michigan
  2. Akron
  3. Central Michigan
  4. Bowling Green
  5. Miami

Tier 4:

1. Ohio
  2. Western Michigan
  3. Northern Illinois

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

If I had to break the MAC into tiers, this is how I would put it.

Tier 1:

1. Buffalo

Tier 2:

1. Ball State
  2. Toledo
  3. Kent State

Tier 3:

1. Eastern Michigan
  2. Akron
  3. Central Michigan
  4. Bowling Green
  5. Miami

Tier 4:

1. Ohio
  2. Western Michigan
  3. Northern Illinois

Welp, after that Kent and Ball loss, EMU has to jump back into tier 2 to me. I think Buffalo already beat the two best MAC teams. 

I think Ohio/NIU are better than Miami, that team isn't very good and can't score outside of Sibande. 

• Like 1

Aside from us its going to be a blood bath for all the other teams.  Tie breakers will definitely come into play. One this is for certain...we are gonna get everyone's best shot and life on the road is going to be tough.

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Welp, after that Kent and Ball loss, EMU has to jump back into tier 2 to me. I think Buffalo already beat the two best MAC teams. 

I think Ohio/NIU are better than Miami, that team isn't very good and can't score outside of Sibande. 

Yep, it wasn't a good day for the higher ranked teams in my MAC tiers lol

I'm with you on your first point. It appears that EMU is one of the best teams in the conference despite their ugly start to the season.

Ohio is confusing to me. They're very inconsistent and you never know what to expect. Bowling Green is impressing a lot early on in MAC play. They could be the surprise team of the year.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

2 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Yep, it wasn't a good day for the higher ranked teams in my MAC tiers lol

I'm with you on your first point. It appears that EMU is one of the best teams in the conference despite their ugly start to the season.

EMU is going to give people fits with their rebounding ability and zone d.  Not to many teams play zone so credit us bc during the non conference we played Cuse and SIU threw some zone at us.  We were prepared for it whereas I'm sure other MAC teams aren't.  Scheduling matters.  Great job by the staff.

• Like 1

My probable update going into game 4 and completing week 2:

Tier 1:

• Buffalo

Tier 2:

• Eastern Michigan
  • Toledo
  • Kent State
  • Bowling Green

Tier 3:

• Ball State
  • Akron