Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

EMU @ #16 UB (1/18 - 7pm ET)

Jeseph

• Jeseph pinned this topic

Anyone got a transcript of that article about Oats in the Athletic? Not sure how I feel about the writer talking about big time programs wanting him as their next coach. I thought that was a bit classless. Who says we don’t keep him or he wants to stay? A ignorant dig at Buffalo and totally uncalled for in my opinion.  

EMU is 1-6 on the road this year (Granted Duke and Kansas in that) But a couple wins since we played them and a tight loss to Akron.

Not sure what you can expect from them other than a zone. 

But yes UB could use a bounce back game. Hopefully that scare wakes us up a bit. I have a feeling the MAC competition may not challenge us enough and the guys will get lazy and sloppy. Because when we are focused and on its great to watch. Would like to see them build a big lead early in a game for once and just carry it through.

10 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

Anyone got a transcript of that article about Oats in the Athletic? Not sure how I feel about the writer talking about big time programs wanting him as their next coach. I thought that was a bit classless. Who says we don’t keep him or he wants to stay? A ignorant dig at Buffalo and totally uncalled for in my opinion.  

The article makes clear that Oats would rather stay and that a lot depends on if the school shows support. (Namely a student rec center or dedicated practice facility.) But there is no question Oats will be highly sought after.

Edited by promotherobot

11 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

Twice now I've downloaded the app and read the article and then removed the app if you care to do that. There is also a very long podcast of Nate Oats with Doug Gottlieb that was pretty interesting if anyone hasn't heard it.

Three ball. That is the only way that I think they win. When the shoot the ball well, it opens up the inside for the big guys to take helm. They don't shoot the three ball as much as we do but still. 

With all that said, we beat EMU because they got gassed. I am expecting a lot of ball movement around the perimeter to start tiring the guards. I also think that our team will be fired up to bounce back from that WMU game.

98-72 Bulls. Going up 8 at halftime and pulling away with 10 minutes left. We go up by over 30 but they end up trimming the deficit. 

Too precise?

4 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

98-72 Bulls. Going up 8 at halftime and pulling away with 10 minutes left. We go up by over 30 but they end up trimming the deficit. 

Too precise?

Maybe but that game would be just what the doctor ordered so I'm on board!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

I think Oats stays.  He's a big family guy and they just bought their dream house out on Grand Island by the river.   He's got an amazing thing going here...not easy to duplicate this at a high major school.  

Although some other posters on the MAC board are saying this year is the Nate Oats farewell tour.  

14 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

I think Oats stays.  He's a big family guy and they just bought their dream house out on Grand Island by the river.   He's got an amazing thing going here...not easy to duplicate this at a high major school.  

Although some other posters on the MAC board are saying this year is the Nate Oats farewell tour.  

I think if Oats stays here after this year, then he will be here for a while. He has a large number of seniors who are graduating so it will be hard to repeat this success in the future. He will most likely get some big offers, so this would be the most opportune time for him to leave. If he stays I think he is truly committed to building UB into a consistent contender. 

If he values job security he should stay at UB. He makes plenty of money and barring a scandal, it would require many years of losing seasons to get fired.  

8 minutes ago, SGBull said:

I think if Oats stays here after this year, then he will be here for a while. He has a large number of seniors who are graduating so it will be hard to repeat this success in the future. He will most likely get some big offers, so this would be the most opportune time for him to leave. If he stays I think he is truly committed to building UB into a consistent contender. 

If he values job security he should stay at UB. He makes plenty of money and barring a scandal, it would require many years of losing seasons to get fired.  

There will be a bit more time to talk about this in March/April, but the number of mid-major coaches that stay with a program (especially after a season like this one) is really small. 

There is something to be said about loyalty, family liking the region, want to build something, etc. etc.   But he is ambitious and someone may increase his pay by a factor of 2 or 3 in a snap. It is really, really hard to say no to that.

If (and big if) UB was very aggressive about meeting his desires (or demonstrates action and a plan towards meeting his desires), then it becomes more intriguing.   I would have thought UB would have been VERY public about their efforts towards Coach Oats, but maybe they are doing things behind the scenes.  Dedicated practice facility...sure....but I think the conference affiliation is a strong driver as well.  I think (without no inside knowledge) his biggest concern is having to go 30-2 every year to get a at-large bid.  I think Alabama was 6 -10 in conference recently and they got a bid.  That margin for error (plus the increased salary) is, I would assume, extremely attractive.   Buffalo faces a big uphill battle here.  I 100% believe that if UB made public statements about being aggressive in looking for a different conference, it would go a long way in such negotiations.   It would be B1G news, in my opinion, and send a strong message.  The time is now...

41 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

Three ball. That is the only way that I think they win. When the shoot the ball well, it opens up the inside for the big guys to take helm. They don't shoot the three ball as much as we do but still. 

With all that said, we beat EMU because they got gassed. I am expecting a lot of ball movement around the perimeter to start tiring the guards. I also think that our team will be fired up to bounce back from that WMU game.

Too precise?

If you remember the EMU game, EMU had to force up shots late (and even had some shot clock violations).  For EMU to win, they have to rebound strong (again) and maybe begin their offense a little earlier in the shot clock.  They will get higher-percentage looks.   Just those two things will make the game much closer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UB92 said:

There will be a bit more time to talk about this in March/April, but the number of mid-major coaches that stay with a program (especially after a season like this one) is really small. 

There is something to be said about loyalty, family liking the region, want to build something, etc. etc.   But he is ambitious and someone may increase his pay by a factor of 2 or 3 in a snap. It is really, really hard to say no to that.

If (and big if) UB was very aggressive about meeting his desires (or demonstrates action and a plan towards meeting his desires), then it becomes more intriguing.   I would have thought UB would have been VERY public about their efforts towards Coach Oats, but maybe they are doing things behind the scenes.  Dedicated practice facility...sure....but I think the conference affiliation is a strong driver as well.  I think (without no inside knowledge) his biggest concern is having to go 30-2 every year to get a at-large bid.  I think Alabama was 6 -10 in conference recently and they got a bid.  That margin for error (plus the increased salary) is, I would assume, extremely attractive.   Buffalo faces a big uphill battle here.  I 100% believe that if UB made public statements about being aggressive in looking for a different conference, it would go a long way in such negotiations.   It would be B1G news, in my opinion, and send a strong message.  The time is now...

All good points above and from other posters.  He will never be hotter.  If he wants to make serious money it's go time.  On the flip side all he has to do is look at the Hurley brothers.  They can recruit the hell out of the country.  But in the high major world,  so many programs get great players. It's not easy to win and be dominant.   Down in the MAC it's different.  A well known coach and program can stay ahead of the pack.  As you said, we will re-visit this in a couple months.   On to EMU. 

3 hours ago, UB92 said:

The B1G might be a tad ambitious. Sure we fit right in academically, but athletically? That's a big leap budget-wise. I think Mark Alnutt has his eye on the AAC, the conference Memphis belongs to. I asked him at the Women's Sweet 16 (as well as Allan Greene at the BC game a while back.)  It's two things: budget and when the conferences will re-align next. Allnut said he thinks things will start to shake up in a year or two. AAC teams will move up, creating room for new members. His big concern is budget, especially travel in a conference footprint that covers half the USA.

Edited by promotherobot

13 minutes ago, pottier25 said:

Does anyone know of alumni who in the past have made big donations to the sports dept? Or is that a pipedream? 

Do agree that this discussion will really heat up come March. It will be up to the alumni and fans like us to pony up more money along with Mark Alnutt to sell this program and Nate to the alumni donors. I truly think Nate will stay if UB shows they want to continue this momentum by increasing his salary. Nate has said many times the grass is not always greener on the other side. Nate has said that winning and being happy where you are is important.  In some cases money does not have to be the overriding factor. Our family have already sent our messages to Nate AND Mark about our feelings on keeping this coaching staff and team in tact. Hope 100’s/1’000’s do the same. Go Bulls!!!!

57 minutes ago, pottier25 said:

Does anyone know of alumni who in the past have made big donations to the sports dept? Or is that a pipedream? 

Besides Tunney Murchie and the nearly $8,000,000.00 he has donated towards the Edward Wright Practice Facility (f/k/a The Triple Gym),. the football offices and the fieldhouse as well as Burt Rubin's $1,500,000.00 in his will., define "big".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Besides Tunney Murchie and the nearly $8,000,000.00 he has donated towards the Edward Wright Practice Facility (f/k/a The Triple Gym),. the football offices and the fieldhouse as well as Burt Rubin's $1,500,000.00 in his will., define "big".

But for a school this size it's crazy that the number of 7 figure donations to the athletics program can be counted on a hand or two.  We have a huge alumni network.

This is not to understate the contributions the existing donors have made.

7 hours ago, sportscliche said:

Apparently lavish practice facilities — with amenities rivaling a 5-star hotel — are essential components of recruiting these days. I would think that sustained winning, NCAA appearances, and great coaching would be far more important. But hey I haven’t been 18 years old in a long time.

I don't think that's accurate.  Seems like what is wanted is a dedicated facility that can be used at all times by the players.  I don't think that's too unreasonable.

Covering 15+ points is always tough during conference play. They've already played us and can make some corrections.

I think they should be able to do it, but to me, we are going to have to grind against them. EMU is 1-6 on the road so that's an interesting start to keep an eye on. UB now has the 3rd longest active home winning streak.