Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

EMU @ #16 UB (1/18 - 7pm ET)

Jeseph

18 hours ago, rma said:
On 1/17/2019 at 10:39 AM, sportscliche said:

Apparently lavish practice facilities — with amenities rivaling a 5-star hotel — are essential components of recruiting these days. I would think that sustained winning, NCAA appearances, and great coaching would be far more important. But hey I haven’t been 18 years old in a long time.

I don't think that's accurate.  Seems like what is wanted is a dedicated facility that can be used at all times by the players.  I don't think that's too unreasonable.

That is absolutely true.  That is why instead of renovating hte old training facility in the stadium to be a locker room/ lounge for the coaches it was turned into a fueling station lounge for the players.

Danny White said that when you are recruiting and you have prospective student athlete on campus you have one opportunity to wow them.  So the facilities they see can be key to a decision, as well as uniform combinations now.

When White made his comment to me I did not really believe that what he was said was true.  However, thinking back to when I looked at UB as a senior in high school I was sold on the  concept of Ellicott, dorms, class rooms and eating facilities all in a self contained building(s).  Fortunately, when I was assigned a dorm it was Goodyear Hall, which has a much better living design than either Ellicott or Governors.

So yes, bells and whistles sell.

• Like 1

Think I misinterpreted @sportscliche - I thought he was saying that’s what Nate wants. He wants a dedicated practice facility. I’m sure bells and whistles would be nice, but based on the article he wants a place for his team to practice  

But yes, bells and whistles do sell. Why else would Danny white be building a lazy river in Orlando?

Every time it seemed this game was going to blow open and stay so, Eastern found a way to keep it interesting.  Tonight was all about big play from the leaders, CJ and Perkins.  I thought the Bulls did a great job rebounding - keeping balls alive on offense for second and third chances, getting position underneath.  They did well keeping the ball moving in and around that zone.  Eastern had a couple big guys but they dealt with it.  I was bothered by the turnovers tonight and the way they got sloppy and let Eastern back into it in the second half, but yet another double digit conference win.

CJ - on fire from the field, pesky and tough on defense, and he was vocally prodding guys to be better out there
Perkins - had his touch tonight and wasn't afraid to go at taller guys inside
Graves - a couple big threes in the second half and some nice passes
Jordan - drew a charge, it seems like he's gone a few games without doing so.
Dontay - a couple sparky defensive plays, one down the stretch where he got the rebound underneath next to Thompson

Eastern - Thompson, who seems to have been there for 7 years, every time he lost the ball he looked towards a ref for a call.  He doesn't play as tough as he probably can.  Toure was playing with 4 fouls down the stretch and he became a turnstile on defense.  Eastern, you are truly Air-ball U.  I can't recall a game (in the D-1 days at least) where I saw this many air-balls.  It was truly a sight to behold.  Even one on a foul shot!

Crowd - I can't say this seriously enough.  I cannot wait until the students and the band are back.  We need more noise on defense.  The DJ's are killing it, and not in a good way.  Every time the team starts to get some momentum and the opponent calls for time, they put on some chill (or sometimes even morose) R&B that totally kills the energy in the building.  You guys are supposed to be helping the team.  Please play something that gets the crowd energized rather than something that seems cool. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

Crowd - I can't say this seriously enough.  I cannot wait until the students and the band are back.  We need more noise on defense.  The DJ's are killing it, and not in a good way.  Every time the team starts to get some momentum and the opponent calls for time, they put on some chill (or sometimes even morose) R&B that totally kills the energy in the building.  You guys are supposed to be helping the team.  Please play something that gets the crowd energized rather than something that seems cool. 

"Yeah, yeah, they lit", "They killin it", "He's flossin"...in addition to taking up about 30-40 seats worth of space from the bleachers.

Edited by skrabukes
  • Like 1

This is not based on science but being ranked has really caught peoples attention. 

I think casual b-ball fans are actually watching the games when we are on TV. Playing on ESPNU/2 CBSSN as just another team vs being a ranked team is really different. People are actually saying let’s check this Buffalo team out. 

Again not scientific. Just based on texts I’ve received from my friends who are not buffalo alums. 

I gotta say Alumni Arena looked really good on TV today. Part of it was the high production value of ESPNU but our arena looked pretty legit on TV. 

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

"Yeah, yeah, they lit", "They killin it", "He's flossin"...in addition to taking up about 30-40 seats worth of space from the bleachers.

Both of these are huge problems, and I can't even figure out which one is worse.  I'd prefer that we just had the normal soundboard music (Kernkraft 400, Hands Up in the Air, hell even Eye of the Tiger would be better) than the chill music.  It just destroys any sort of energy we had going into the time out.  This is not a club, this is not a frat party, this is not a rave.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, rma said:

This is not a club, this is not a frat party, this is not a rave.

I haven’t been to a DJed game this year but I think the issue with having music “live” like this is that you’re never going to satisfy everyone. Who knows, some people may love this DJ but inevitably some people are going to hate it. I think having PA music without sacrificing seats is always going to be the preferred solution.

More importantly, we’ve now won 20 games in a row at home! Need to keep that streak alive for the rest of the year, no excuses for dropping a game at home.

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

I haven’t been to a DJed game this year but I think the issue with having music “live” like this is that you’re never going to satisfy everyone. Who knows, some people may love this DJ but inevitably some people are going to hate it. I think having PA music without sacrificing seats is always going to be the preferred solution.

More importantly, we’ve now won 20 games in a row at home! Need to keep that streak alive for the rest of the year, no excuses for dropping a game at home.

Not pleasing everyone is one thing - playing some sort of slow jam R&B at every break is another.  He's got an amazing talent for sucking all of the air out of the building after a UB run as the crowd gets on their feet and goes nuts by playing some slow low energy song.  Crowd sits down.  Arena gets quiet.  He watches the video board and repeats the same three catch phrases.  Rinse and repeat.  It's the most effective application of a momentum breaking timeout I've seen in college basketball.

Hoping this gets better when the students and pep band return, but that DJ table needs to be disassembled yesterday and control of break music turned back over to UB production.

Edited by ubxcretired
  • Like 3

Is this DJ nonsense happening bc the band isn't back yet?  Plus if its taking up seats then its an even bigger waste.  Last night the crowd was more lively than the last few games.  Even Oats acknowledged that when the students get back the place will be rocking. The attendance was the 8th largest crowd...so its safe to say the arena should be standing room only from here on out.  

Great win.  Gotta clean up the turnovers. Tough stretch of games coming up.  If there is a time we get beat its now.  So we have to be ready and bring our best.

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Is this DJ nonsense happening bc the band isn't back yet?  Plus if its taking up seats then its an even bigger waste.  Last night the crowd was more lively than the last few games.  Even Oats acknowledged that when the students get back the place will be rocking. The attendance was the 8th largest crowd...so its safe to say the arena should be standing room only from here on out.  

Great win.  Gotta clean up the turnovers. Tough stretch of games coming up.  If there is a time we get beat its now.  So we have to be ready and bring our best.

The DJ was there for most games last year, however we haven't had the need for all seats (for most games). They will be turning many people (students and general public) away once the students come back to the AA.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:18 PM, Jeseph said:

The Bills and Sabres both use DJ Milk to DJ live games. Let's get with the times. It helps pump up the crowd and create energy. I'm not sure it matters if you do or don't like EDM/Rap/Pop. 

On 1/18/2019 at 11:40 PM, admin said:

I gotta say Alumni Arena looked really good on TV today. Part of it was the high production value of ESPNU but our arena looked pretty legit on TV. 

At the game the cameraman had an ESPN+ branded camera. I wonder at what point we move up to having an ESPNU branded camera.

• Jeseph unpinned this topic