Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ultimate Nate Oats Thread - Future/Staying/Growth/Articles

Kevin

1 hour ago, bull_trojan said:

Honestly if we had more money, instead of lucking into the Detroit area HS coach we're blessed to have, we'd probably have spent big money on a name that probably wouldn't have done half the good Oats has done...

I agree which is why now that we have him we have to keep him. I think above all else Oats wants to be appreciated and shown a level of commitment. Both financially and investment into the program. Then he can stay build his resume and hope to land a top conference job. Not a bottom P5 job.

3 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I agree which is why now that we have him we have to keep him. I think above all else Oats wants to be appreciated and shown a level of commitment. Both financially and investment into the program. Then he can stay build his resume and hope to land a top conference job. Not a bottom P5 job.

I agree. UB has to show both appreciation and a commitment by giving him another raise and contract extension.  Will be  sending Mark Alnutt emails and supporting the UB athletic fund and we will show Mark we are committed and support UB athletics. I hope Nate would not take a bottom P5 job with only money on his mind. Go Bulls!!!!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

One of the better pieces I've seen on Oats and the team. Somebody donate a few million, please.

"We've got a good feeling they're gonna make it really hard to leave, and hopefully we stay here for a long time." -Oats

Looks as if I am buying Lotto tonight hoping to hit the jackpot so I can keep Nate Oats here in Buffalo

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

One of the better pieces I've seen on Oats and the team. Somebody donate a few million, please.

Just read this article. What an outstanding piece! When I started reading I thought this thread would be appropriate place to post it. But 1/2 way thorugh I realized this is such a fantastic article that it deserved its own thread. I'll leave that to you J. 

Nate and his family's ties to Buffalo and WNY are substantial. They love it here. As you say we ADMA needs to make it happen.

11 hours ago, UB85 said:

Another amazing national article for Nate, UB and Buffalo! https://apnews.com/132961652b2e4b48b3936e880923234f?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP_Sports&utm_source=Twitter

PAY THE MAN!!!!

Another cool article with Nate and UB included. PAY THE MAN should be sent to Mark Alnutt and hope he is already putting together a package for Nate. Go Bulls!!!!

5 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

How much do you think UB will offer Oats at the end of this season?

Will they come up with seven figures?

Whatever it takes. If it was me, I would approach Nate andcsay to him we want you here, I know you and your family want to be here what is going to take to make that happen. Based on that conversation I would implement a plan to do as much of that is doable. And I think we can do a whole lot more than people think. There is a genuine groundswell among UB fans and boosters to keep him here ie financial commitment. I for one, and there are many others like me,  have been and will continue to be proactive in this regard. 

20 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Whatever it takes. If it was me, I would approach Nate andcsay to him we want you here, I know you and your family want to be here what is going to take to make that happen. Based on that conversation I would implement a plan to do as much of that is doable. And I think we can do a whole lot more than people think. There is a genuine groundswell among UB fans and boosters to keep him here ie financial commitment. I for one, and there are many others like me,  have been and will continue to be proactive in this regard. 

Thanks, The excitement and thrills we have experienced these last few years will be memories that will last a lifetime. Go Bulls!!!!

2 minutes ago, John said:

Thanks, The excitement and thrills we have experienced these last few years will be memories that will last a lifetime. Go Bulls!!!!

I asked a couple top people in the athletic department at Tuesday’s game what did they think all the positive PR over the last few years is worth to UB. I said it was priceless. To which the response was no no no we can monetize it. And the value in $$$$ terms “is in the millions!” So there you go. 

2 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I think our AD (and probably the whole department) are ready to do what they can to convince Nate and his family that Buffalo is the right place for them. Is the University (President) on board?

I think he is. I actually talked to him after my chat referenced just above asking and saying basically the same to him. He nodded at me and said have you talked to Mark. I told him I did. I know Satish and the other two I mentioned much better than Mark so I cannot day much about my short chat with him. 

• Like 1

I think Satish is somewhat on board with investing in athletics.  Mostly because I think he's seen over the past 5 or so years that successful basketball and football programs do wonders for national awareness of the university and will almost certainly result in recruiting benefits (for regular students).  Put it this way.  UB is #28 in public universities in the US.  #25-30 are:  Penn State, Virginia Tech, Minnesota, Buffalo, Illinois-Chicago, NC State.  Ask any person in the US regardless of their spots fandom and they will ALL know Penn State, NC State, VT, and Minnesota.  Almost none of them will know Buffalo.  The reason?  Well known and regarded athletics programs.  Having a successful athletics program that gets national attention is huge for recruiting students, faculty, and staff as well as building school pride which results in greater alumni donations.

Remember -- Oats is not just interested in salary.  I am sure he can double his salary this off-season for some team that comes calling.  He wants the dedicated practice facility and, I believe, he wants to be in a conference that doesn't require him to win 30 games to get an at-large bid.

So...sure...he'll be the highest paid b-ball coach in the MAC...but that is only a starter.  I believe he needs to see evidence of a plan for the practice facility and, perhaps, a plan for next steps outside the MAC. 

In Lunardi's latest Bracketology, there are 4 AAC teams in the field.  I think that a plan to get to the AAC would be very attractive to keep Oats in the fold as we move forward.

2 minutes ago, UB92 said:

He wants the dedicated practice facility

Where did you hear that?

3 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I think that a plan to get to the AAC would be very attractive to keep Oats in the fold as we move forward.

That will take too long and Oats has gone on record saying he wants to build a new Gonzaga and Butler. Though I love the idea of being in the AAC and ideally wish we were there. It will take several years of sustained success to get there.

2 hours ago, promotherobot said:

I went to UB when they had "the Bubble."  Could the school throw up another bubble ASAP to create that dedicated basketball practice facility while raising funds for a permanent one?

Looking at the Merch timeline, UB hired an architect a year before they publicized renderings/approval to build.

That seems backwards to me, but maybe SUNY rules, but at least gives me some hope that we've already started to move on this, and Nate knows, and once money and approval hits, they'll announce it publicly.

1 hour ago, rma said:

Another great listen with cbs sports. Wow, when you have a winning program and settings records in the MAC and winning in March the national exposure follows even if you are a mid major. Go Bulls!!!!!