Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ultimate Nate Oats Thread - Future/Staying/Growth/Articles

Kevin

1 minute ago, Reverend_Goose said:

Also, I was told the UCF home-and-home in WBB was mostly due to Coach Jack's relationship with UCF's coach, Katie Abrahamson-Henderson--who spent a few years as Jack's Associate HC at Indiana. 

I totally forgot that they played here too.  And I think we swept that series too.

2 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Yup.  There has been a little bit of it.  Of course, football games are scheduled many years in advance. 

Tournament games in basketball don't count.  Only thing that counts is home/home.  Reggie was able to land a deal with Temple when he was here.  That was a big get and looked like the Bulls were making the step. 

When schools are willing to go to Buffalo for games they will be considered equals.  That is what a conference does it puts you on equal footing for scheduling.

When it becomes regular and no one considers it a big deal to get an American Conference team to come to Buffalo, we will be on the cusp of moving up. 

That deal was when Temple played football in the MAC.  They agreed to a certain number of MAC games a year in basketball.  The same with UMass.

5 hours ago, JoeyRattlesnake said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why the infatuation with moving to the AAC. 

MAC makes 833k annually per school.

AAC deal is up, they could make as much as 20 million annually per school and are not expected to make less than 10 million annually per school.

Less games in Ohio, more games in our Student-Alumni footprint.

Long trips to fun destinations: Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Orlando, Tampa, Carolina Coast, Philly, Memphis...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

... Long trips to fun destinations: Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Orlando, Tampa, Carolina Coast, Philly, Memphis...

Sounds nice, but... Other threads have suggested that college fans are looking for cheaper entertainment than nfl tickets.  How many will suddenly pay more and actually travel (anywhere)?

5 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

What good are performance based incentives, if you’re given a raise every year?   For me, it’s one or the other, not both. 

I agree, the issue to me seems to be that people don't think out their performance based incentives and I don't think they budget properly for them...

Fresno (https://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/marek-warszawski/article222053650.html) did a good job with intentional incentives, but they are paying Tedford a bunch... 

Edited by bull_trojan

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

That deal was when Temple played football in the MAC.  They agreed to a certain number of MAC games a year in basketball.  The same with UMass.

Thank you.  I knew this and had forgotten.

That means we were further away than I thought...  Still waiting for a good team other than St. Bona to come to Alumni...

2 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

I agree, the issue to me seems to be that people don't think out their performance based incentives and I don't think they budget properly for them...

Fresno (https://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/marek-warszawski/article222053650.html) did a good job with intentional incentives, but they are paying Tedford a bunch... 

We could do the prop bet incentives like UConn football did.

First basket, per game - $100

Opposing player fouls out, per player - $100

Dunk, per dunk (max 5 per game) - $100

Dunk on a lottery draft pick - $1000

10-0+ run, (max 1 per game) - $200

Sportscenter top 10 play, per play - $250

Sportscenter #1 play, per play - $500

Home game is 2 deep along the track - $300 (add $100 for each additional layer of audience, max 5)

11 minutes ago, rma said:

... Home game is 2 deep along the track - $300 (add $100 for each additional layer of audience, max 5)

What was good for Bobby should be good for Nate too, right?

3 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

Which is terrifying.  Budget for the worst case, and save any unused ‘profit’ for the eventual raise.   Hypothetical U can’t budget a 5 year variable contract?  Then I doubt they can create and stick to larger 20 year capital projects.  And Hypothetical Me doesn’t feel comfortable donating. 

29 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Growth... (general, other than just basketball)

Try displacing the high school that has been renting their stadium out to FCBuffalo... like Cincinnati has been doing for a few years.

Ref: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/03/13/fc-cincinnati-nearing-sellout-inaugural-mls-home-opener

UB Stadium is a terrible football stadium.  It is an even worse soccer stadium.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rma said:

UB Stadium is a terrible football stadium.  It is an even worse soccer stadium.

Point taken, but sight lines are the same, so I won't call it worse for one sport or the other.  I'm just suggesting, trying to leverage everything out of what they have, before they tear it down and rebuild.  (IF that's what eventually happens)

18 minutes ago, SGBull said:

This is amazing!

*sigh*

13 minutes ago, UBFan99 said:

What’s the buyout? That’s all that really matters in terms of hoping he’s not plucked by a bigger program.

there's basically no hope whatsoever that the buyout is big enough to prevent him from being snagged by a bigger program if they want him. 

3 minutes ago, ed said:

*sigh*

there's basically no hope whatsoever that the buyout is big enough to prevent him from being snagged by a bigger program if they want him. 

It’s still great news. There’s no way we could produce a number that could compete with some of the bigger teams but it’s all going to come down to how dedicated Oats is to really building sometning here. Time will tell