Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ultimate Nate Oats Thread - Future/Staying/Growth/Articles

Kevin

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/14/nate-oats-ub-agree-to-contract-extension/

Full details on the contract down to every last dollar.

It may not seem overwhelming on the surface and the buy out isn’t high, I just hope there was some verbal agreement that we will put more resources into the basketball program. For let’s say umm a new practice facility. At any rate I think this keeps Oats here for one more year. But it won’t stop P5 teams from trying to poach coach.

This is the definitive video, of entire press conference after Nate signed contract, of where Nate is, what he thinks, what is happening and where he wants the program and alumni to go.  It is a must watch for every UB fan! 

https://www.wgrz.com/mobile/video/sports/head-coach-nate-oats-on-signing-a-contract-extension/71-b4e72afe-b2cc-46f5-8176-2abc701c48bb

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, admin said:

Wow Oats turned down double his salary.  Amazing!  We need to build and work on getting him a raise for next year again.  That might mean higher ticket prices.  

It's a nice bump, especially in a state with no income tax (Nevada.) That said UNLV in the Mountain West is not a program Oats would jump to.

Other than the money it would be a lateral possibly a step backwards move. Why move from one mid major to another? Especially a program that has been irrelevant comparative to us recently. I think this shows that Nate isn’t all about money. Bc as said above double the salary in a no income tax state. Money out there goes a looong way. I love that Nate is betting on himself and by doing so putting unspoken pressure on administration to get the ball rolling on a student rec center and AA upgrades.

3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Other than the money it would be a lateral possibly a step backwards move. Why move from one mid major to another? Especially a program that has been irrelevant comparative to us recently. I think this shows that Nate isn’t all about money. Bc as said above double the salary in a no income tax state. Money out there goes a looong way. I love that Nate is betting on himself and by doing so putting unspoken pressure on administration to get the ball rolling on a student rec center and AA upgrades.

Plus he wouldn't have a boat dock in his backyard like he currently does. Heard he's a big boating fan lol

On 3/14/2019 at 10:58 PM, UB85 said:

This is the definitive video, of entire press conference after Nate signed contract, of where Nate is, what he thinks, what is happening and where he wants the program and alumni to go.  It is a must watch for every UB fan! 

https://www.wgrz.com/mobile/video/sports/head-coach-nate-oats-on-signing-a-contract-extension/71-b4e72afe-b2cc-46f5-8176-2abc701c48bb

A very informative video. If I understood it Nate said they will build another facility for sports and Alumni can become the basketball facility and upgrades can be done for the basketball only type venue. Hope this is the first step for Nate to stay here for years. Go Bulls!!!!!

6 minutes ago, John said:

A very informative video. If I understood it Nate said they will build another facility for sports and Alumni can become the basketball facility and upgrades can be done for the basketball only type venue. Hope this is the first step for Nate to stay here for years. Go Bulls!!!!!

Turning Alumni into a basketball-only building leaves them with a lot of room to mess around with and create a pretty impressive facility for the programs. I'm all for it 

1 hour ago, rma said:

If somebody doubled my salary (after an already 30%ish raise) and moved me out to a state without income tax for the same job, I'd be there next day.  Good thing I am not in charge of this program.

UNLV is historically good enough to have a bunch of influential donors, but not good enough to be a quick fix. It's not a great job at any price.

7 hours ago, ed said:

Soooooo... He already interviewed, with UNLV? Sorry I'm not as optimistic about what this shows as you all are...

Unless he interviewed in Tulsa, I find it hard to believe that he went out to UNLV, got offered the job, and declined it within 12ish hours. I interpreted it as UNLV said to his agent UNLV is offering $1.6m, and either NO or his agent said no

4 hours ago, rma said:

Unless he interviewed in Tulsa, I find it hard to believe that he went out to UNLV, got offered the job, and declined it within 12ish hours. I interpreted it as UNLV said to his agent UNLV is offering $1.6m, and either NO or his agent said no

I doubt he interviewed as you said. I think it never got passed his agent asking UNLV and Nate saying no. I mean come on...UNLV is involved in the whole Nike scandal, they are in a mid major also and haven’t been good recently. That job is a step backwards. 

And if he interviewed during the tournament that would piss me off. How dare you look for a job while trying to prep your team for a big game. But I wanna believe it didn’t even get to that point. 

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/26/ub-basketball-nate-oats-ncaa-tournament-midamerican-conference-cj-massinburg/

Great stuff in here about Oats endgame and possibly VA Tech. This is what Oats is looking for not UNLV

5 hours ago, rma said:

I agree, except I think this is all conjecture / fake news and there wasn’t an actual offer to turn down - they’re not going to talk money before talking at this level. 😉 

27 minutes ago, ed said:

I agree, except I think this is all conjecture / fake news and there wasn’t an actual offer to turn down - they’re not going to talk money before talking at this level. 😉 

The money would get mentioned to get his attention for a possible interview 

We often hear that Nate hopes UB can someday be Gonzaga of the East.   I wasn't sure what that meant other than wins on the basketball court.  I heard an interesting radio interview yesterday with a basketball insider guy (not sure who it was).  The question to him was why is Gonzaga able to maintain their excellence. How does Mark Few do it?  He said kids line up to go there because for one thing, their overall basketball facilities blow away any program in the Pac-12.  He said they charter everywhere and the food is gourmet across the board. Just a first class place to play hoops, probably the finest in the country.   The athletes that get picked by Few don't mind beating up on the lesser competition in the WCC. As long as they get great preseason tourney experiences in Florida, Bahamas, Hawaii, Vegas, etc..  They know playing their conference schedule the Zags will be in the NCAA's and have a great chance for a long run. That's the ultimate payoff.

Wasn't sure where to post this..  just thought it was interesting in reference to where UB Hoops is trying to go.   I realize being a State University comes with a whole different set of realities over a private institution.  

So anyway, I hope Oats continues to say NO to other programs that come sniffing around.