Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ultimate Nate Oats Thread - Future/Staying/Growth/Articles

Kevin

This one hurts. He really made it sound like there was a good shot of us keeping him. Interviewing and taking a job within 2-3 days of our tourney game. That seems a bit dirty. Don't get me wrong, he's gotta do what he's gotta do. I just think he backhanded Buffalo with all that future glory talk and gunning within seconds of our loss.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, rma said:

Yep, wish him nothing but luck at Alabama.

I'm mostly just disappointed he didn't take a better job. As much as I hate UCLA, I think that would have been great for Oats, and great for our profile as a coach went from HS to UB to a top 15 job in the nation.

I think Oats proved more than Hurley, and I think he ended up in a worse situation...hopefully he got more money, but never seemed like he was in it for the money...

2 minutes ago, rma said:

Yep, wish him nothing but luck at Alabama.

I'm mostly just disappointed he didn't take a better job. As much as I hate UCLA, I think that would have been great for Oats, and great for our profile as a coach went from HS to UB to a top 15 job in the nation.

I think Oats proved more than Hurley, and I think he ended up in a worse situation...hopefully he got more money, but never seemed like he was in it for the money...

2 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

In the end he left for money, there’s no other way around it.

I think that is clear. I'd be willing to be he DOES NOT have the success he had here. But hey, he cashed in. Now was the time do it with all the seniors going. I just wish he didn't make it look like he would stay. But it is what it is.

4 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

In the end he left for money, there’s no other way around it.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I won’t be cheering for or against Alabama - except in football, Anyone But Alabama Football!

Edited by squire17

3 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

Gotta agree if he left for a true Blue Blood, I would have been much happier about this. If the ULNV story is true its more than 1.6 million. 

We also have to look at the other side. What if the 'promise' of a dedicated basketball facility was all smoke and mirrors? 

4 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

I really wanted him to take the Virginia Tech job if he were to leave.  But alas, no lake for boating in Blacksburg.

3 minutes ago, UBFan99 said:

This is why I couldn’t have cared less about the worthless contract extension Oats signed a few weeks ago. The media was very excited over it. It was just a visual pleasure. I was always just curious of the buyout. 

Bc of the extension we got an extra 250k from the buyout. For whatever that’s worth.

Edited by DooleyBull06

4 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Gotta agree if he left for a true Blue Blood, I would have been much happier about this. If the ULNV story is true its more than 1.6 million. 

We also have to look at the other side. What if the 'promise' of a dedicated basketball facility was all smoke and mirrors? 

I've been beating the drum but a legitimate Master Facilities Plan > Promises > "hear no evil, see no evil about our facilities"

Charlotte just hired HOK to do their 10-15 year master plan, as always HOK is going to put together something beautiful and inspiring, and we need to do the same...AND we now have a free 750K to pay HOK.

I'm not nearly as upset as I was with Hurley. F Hurley. I loved oats and this was an amazing run. It's hard for me to even argue this movie for Nate. I have nothing but thanks for him

I'm honesty hoping we have another oats on the staff. Would love if it's hodgson and we keep the team as together as possible.

I feel like ub has grown enough in clout to not fall off significantly. This has become a decently attractive job

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

The SEC is a hot conference just now. The PAC12 is not. Not saying that Alabama has any mystique, which UCLA obviously does...but the trend would suggest that this was a better move for Oats.

16 minutes ago, UBFan99 said:

This is why I couldn’t have cared less about the worthless contract extension Oats signed a few weeks ago. The media was very excited over it. It was just a visual pleasure. I was always just curious of the buyout. 

It was telling that there was no increase in Oats' buyout in the latest extension.

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

According to people inside the department, we are hearing 2.4M from Bama. 

Really? Avery Johnson, who accomplished virtually nothing significant there, was making $2.9 mil. Is it possible that they’re financially on the ropes and have to cut corners to pay Saban? 😂 

Just now, squire17 said:

Really? Avery Johnson, who accomplished virtually nothing significant there, was making $2.9 mil. Is it possible that they’re financially on the ropes and have to cut corners to pay Saban? 😂 

Big loss with Johnson + Oats buyout. 

13 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

But you know SUNY backwater eastern tech needed a new fountain and it isn't fair that Buffalo gets everything so....

That's not nice to call UAlbany those things even though it's true

• Like 1
  • Haha 1