Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ultimate Nate Oats Thread - Future/Staying/Growth/Articles

Kevin

1 hour ago, UBminicre said:

This one hurts. He really made it sound like there was a good shot of us keeping him. Interviewing and taking a job within 2-3 days of our tourney game. That seems a bit dirty. Don't get me wrong, he's gotta do what he's gotta do. I just think he backhanded Buffalo with all that future glory talk and gunning within seconds of our loss.

i'm apparently the only one not surprised, and i still don't understand why.  

he took interviews within days of the tournament and getting an extension last year.  he didn't take it because it wasn't offered.  he hasn't seemed all that picky in who he's talked to, despite all the talk (here) of it has to just the right place.  all this talk about how much he loves buffalo and wants to build the program - what else was he going to say, that he's here until he gets a fat offer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ed said:

he took interviews within days of the tournament and getting an extension last year.  he didn't take it because it wasn't offered.  he hasn't seemed all that picky in who he's talked to, despite all the talk (here) of it has to just the right place.  all this talk about how much he loves buffalo and wants to build the program - what else was he going to say, that he's here until he gets a fat offer?

I think this is pretty fair thinking honestly. Not hugely surprised either... it just hits you though when it actually happens

15 minutes ago, ed said:

I actually do agree that if Pitt offered him he would’ve been gone last year 

15 minutes ago, ed said:

right? this is, as far as we know, the first offer he's gotten, and he's out.  looking back at a couple old threads, like the coaching carousel one, it's painful what people believe.

I think Hurley may have passed on Depaul? So thats the only largish school that we seen either of these two necessarily pass on.

I think also us fans just want it to feel like a big step up. Arizona State, sure I get it somewhat. Not massive but a good spot, bigger conference etc.

Alabama feels respectable in that sense although more of a football school, I feel Bama basketball isn't irrelevant there. Its a program that can compete.

On the flip side I felt Turner Gill taking the Kansas job had a much larger gap. Kansas was a clear basketball school but nothing doing in football. So I didn't like the move at all.

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

Bryan Hodgson is quite literally our only shot of keeping this team together 

I disagree.   I think Whitesell should be the next HC.  Don't get me wrong. I really like Hodgson.  Just thinkJW is better equipped for HC job.

Edited by ChubbyHubby

6 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

I wish him well until he takes current players or our commits.  Then, all bets are off.  That would be a snake move.

This is why it should be stressed to recruits to go to the program for the school/history not the coaches.  Coaches get hired/fired all the time.  Though with the way NCAA football is working now we practically have free agency so I guess who cares any more.

8 minutes ago, rma said:

This is why it should be stressed to recruits to go to the program for the school/history not the coaches.  Coaches get hired/fired all the time.  Though with the way NCAA football is working now we practically have free agency so I guess who cares any more.

That only works if the Administration is dedicated to maintaining UB style of play in our sports. If you're a run and gun wing, and we hire a coach who wants to play through the post...you should leave. If you're a speed WR and your air raid coach leaves and a triple option coach comes in, you better transfer.

Stability starts at the top, flows through the coach and to the players and recruits. 

Last year Nate knew he would have a good team at UB, so he stayed.  I am sure he could not have anticipated 30+ victories, however.  Staying was a great decision for him.  And while I feel he would have been satisfied staying at UB to build a "Gonzaga of the East", he did leave the door open if a great offer were to come along.  Not UNLV.

P5 came calling and gave him 3x his annual salary.  That is life changing money. 

This is what happens to successful MAC coaches or any mid-major, really.  Few is an exception

All we can do now is shrug, wish Oats the best and try to keep our recruits and players.  I don't have a strong opinion on the best way to do that.  Whatever the choice, I hope it works.

Go Bulls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xDerekRx said:

I think Hurley may have passed on Depaul? So thats the only largish school that we seen either of these two necessarily pass on.

Hurley reportedly turned down Depaul, after reports stated he was the front runner and wanted the job badly.  Then he signed on with ASU in like a week, so he may have already been moving on from DePaul before getting there!

First of all, I'm disappointed.  I really did buy into a little of the quotes about staying here and building a powerful program.  When Oats said he was staying here next year, and signed an improved contract, I thought that was that.  I'm not naive about how college sports works, or how things play out for good mid-major programs.  I expected that at some point in a year or three, he was probably going to leave for an offer he couldn't refuse.  That's how it works - a little like the story of Daedalus and Icarus.  This was an unfortunate result of winning at this level.  We flew a little too close to the sun.  We had a lot of fun.  A man is as good as his word, and he said he would be here, and I respect him a little less for turning on that so soon.  If you want the tickets to keep selling and the donations to keep rolling in, you're not going to say "I'm only going to be here another year or two" - no, you're going to say "yeah I want to build something."  Thinking just rationally, it's the smart play - next year may not be as good, so the same opportunities may not be available.  I get it, I don't like it, but I get it.

I want to recognize the UB administration for doing what they could to keep this going.  $800k a year for a MAC coach is well beyond what the rest get, but they stepped up and did their best.  In the end though, if it's about money and opportunity, if the other side is coming in with several million dollars per year, does it matter whether we can offer $600k or $800k?

Krusty the Clown: "They drove a dump-truck full of money up to my house!  I'm not made of stone!"

In the end - I've lost a lot of trust for anyone coming in here who says the same things they all say to get our support and attention.  I've seen several football coaches give essentially the same speeches upon arrival.  What they do speaks way louder than what they say.  We wanted to believe that this time, this coach was different.  I was a history major in undergrad - history laughs at anyone who says "this time it's different." 

I would be fine with Whitesell as the coach - he may run the same system, reduce the transition involved.  I don't know enough of the x's and o's to know if Hodgson is ready for this jump.  The fan in me would welcome Turner freaking Battle back in a heartbeat.

Maybe now is a bad time to raise ticket prices?

Edited by enrique14150

5 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

First of all, I'm disappointed.  I really did buy into a little of the quotes about staying here and building a powerful program.  When Oats said he was staying here next year, and signed an improved contract, I thought that was that.  I'm not naive about how college sports works, or how things play out for good mid-major programs.  I expected that at some point in a year or three, he was probably going to leave for an offer he couldn't refuse.  That's how it works - a little like the story of Daedalus and Icarus.  This was an unfortunate result of winning at this level.  We flew a little too close to the sun.  We had a lot of fun.  A man is as good as his word, and he said he would be here, and I respect him a little less for turning on that so soon.  If you want the tickets to keep selling and the donations to keep rolling in, you're not going to say "I'm only going to be here another year or two" - no, you're going to say "yeah I want to build something."  Thinking just rationally, it's the smart play - next year may not be as good, so the same opportunities may not be available.  I get it, I don't like it, but I get it.

I want to recognize the UB administration for doing what they could to keep this going.  $800k a year for a MAC coach is well beyond what the rest get, but they stepped up and did their best.  In the end though, if it's about money and opportunity, if the other side is coming in with several million dollars per year, does it matter whether we can offer $600k or $800k?

Krusty the Clown: "They drove a dump-truck full of money up to my house!  I'm not made of stone!"

In the end - I've lost a lot of trust for anyone coming in here who says the same things they all say to get our support and attention.  I've seen several football coaches give essentially the same speeches upon arrival.  What they do speaks way louder than what they say.  We wanted to believe that this time, this coach was different.  I was a history major in undergrad - history laughs at anyone who says "this time it's different." 

I would be fine with Whitesell as the coach - he may run the same system, reduce the transition involved.  I don't know enough of the x's and o's to know if Hodgson is ready for this jump.  The fan in me would welcome Turner freaking Battle back in a heartbeat.

Maybe now is a bad time to raise ticket prices?

When Hurley left, it hurt.  He was our first real girlfriend...we had a good time...made the tourney.  He was loud and others didn't like him, though.  Arrogant as well.  It made the separation easier when he skipped town.

Then we found our true love -- Nate Oats.  He said all the right things.  We thought we would have a long term relationship (like the one with Mark Few + Gonzaga).  But then, after committing to us, he was seduced away by $$$.  And now we are sad, mad, confused, hurt, etc.  He broke our collective hearts.  We need the good ice cream to get over this one.

The thing is...this is new to UB and the UB fan base.   We have only had to start worrying about this sort of thing during the last five years.  Before that?  Nope.  So as a fan base, we have to learn how to deal with this.  We will, but it still hurts.  It is a sad day for UB sports.  But we will get over it.  I still bleed blue and always will.  Go Bulls.

Yeah.  I fell into thinking the Coach meant it about being here for awhile.  I grow older and wiser.  I am never falling for that flattery and assuming that anyone who is coaching cares about UB like I want them to.  I will still do what I can do to support the teams but spare me the Coach Speak and the pretense of loyalty. 

49 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Then we found our true love -- Nate Oats.  He said all the right things.  We thought we would have a long term relationship (like the one with Mark Few + Gonzaga).  But then, after committing to us, he was seduced away by $$$.  And now we are sad, mad, confused, hurt, etc.  He broke our collective hearts.  We need the good ice cream to get over this one.

I Do, unless something unreal comes up. - My actual wedding vows.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1