Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#14 UB @ NIU (1/22 - 8pm ET)

Kevin

2 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Send this officiating staff into the sun. No matter what Mark says, that was some of the worst HS refs I've ever seen.

Storming the court prior to the game being over is a technical foul (see VCU/Bona) that has to be called. 

I'm not surprised the refs didn't call it, they were so bad this whole game, why would that change now

Just now, xDerekRx said:

Thought they were going to till do it after that CJ shot. Loss hopefully is a good wake up call for this team. Too talented and not playing up to it lately. 

Oh well on to the next.

I can’t believe this team needed a wake up call. Now we have a real risk of dropping some games on the road. This was NOT the game to lose. Changes the entire season.

Just now, Jeseph said:

I can’t believe this team needed a wake up call. Now we have a real risk of dropping some games on the road. This was NOT the game to lose. Changes the entire season.

Problem is we were trending towards this result. Schedule is tough in February. They gotta play like very good talented team they are. Not the "expect to win" walking into the gym team that has been the last few.

As Nate likes to say go punch them in the mouth. Well any team can take that philosophy. Today we got pummeled in the face. We needed it. We deserved it with our play the last 3-4 games. 16 turnovers. That outright stinks. Still bothered by our defensive players of the year not doing a better job on D. They shut down Battle on Cuse. No reason why they can’t get their feet in front of MAC level guards and get some charges. Foul, free, 3 & 2 pt shooting percentage all atrocious. Forget top 25 and personal accolades nonsense. Time to get back to basics and right the ship. There isn’t a team in the MAC we shouldn’t beat by 20+. Time for the team to figure out what they want. 

Edited by UB85

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Send this officiating staff into the sun. No matter what Mark says, that was some of the worst HS refs I've ever seen.

The refs are the reason they missed 9 free throws, went 22-60 from the field, and most importantly, the reason for UB's 17 turnovers. 

Dude, UB got outplayed today. Just....stop. Stop crying. 

• Like 2

THey were asking for this.  THey have't looked like the team they're supposed to be since Toledo/Miami.  Each game there have been more errors, more turnovers, worse rebounding, less effort.  THey got to the MAC and won a couple big and decided to just coast.  I love Oats but they simply haven't been ready to play most MAC games this year.  Halftime adjustments have been enough to get them turned out and winning, but the writing was on the wall for this.  

• Like 1

Also, I don't think the officials were bad at all.  I don't like how tight and ticky-tack they called the game, but they were consistent and even with no glaring bad calls.  I would have preferred them letting more go, but the calls they called were generally speaking, legit, though maybe weak, fouls.

• Like 1

It's hard to win, no matter who you are. If you're a 90% favorite to win every game, you will lose 1 out of every 10 games, which equates to 2 league losses, in theory.  Bad shooting days, running into a hot shooter, it will happen in games during the season. Regardless, this wasn't one of our better games. Our shooting, bad turnovers, unimpressive defense at times were the cause of this loss. Hopefully this is simply part of that 10% and we don't see more than 1 more of these throughout the rest of the season. I have plenty of faith in this team and staff for a nice rebounding effort on Friday, although it surely is never easy at Kent.

• Like 3

I know we didn’t shoot well but the refs controlled the tempo of this game by calling all those fouls. I’m not saying they weren’t evenly distributed fouls for both teams but these whistle happy refs kill our style of play and allows NIU to get a shot at the upset. We need to get out of the MAC. 

Refs were atrocious and made for some nearly unwatchable basketball in the first half which certainly dictated the game to say otherwise is ignorant. I mean for god sakes Brock Bertram and Fagan both got minutes in the first half.

WITH THAT BEING SAID,

No way we should lose the game. Their top scorer is out most of the game with foul trouble himself.

Ive been saying that this game was coming after the way we’ve been playing.  You simply can’t expect to win when your turning the ball over the way we do. Jordan has been a disaster the last 3-4 games. Caruthers can’t buy a bucket. And we didn’t find a way to get the ball to Perkins down low enough.

Sky is the limit still for this team and while this loss is deveststing for a possible at large and seeding should we make the dance it’s likely a necessary wake up call that nothing is guaranteed.

I fully expect us to absolutely throttle Kent State on Friday.

This is a road bump that is a part of the season. No need to overreact. Good to get this stuff out of the system now. We’ll be back.

2 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

THey were asking for this.  THey have't looked like the team they're supposed to be since Toledo/Miami.  Each game there have been more errors, more turnovers, worse rebounding, less effort.  THey got to the MAC and won a couple big and decided to just coast.  I love Oats but they simply haven't been ready to play most MAC games this year.  Halftime adjustments have been enough to get them turned out and winning, but the writing was on the wall for this.  

Matt whenever I see you post about UB sports you'd almost have me convinced this is the least fun sports year in UB history! Expectations got to you!

Really though how they react to this over the next 6-8 games is key to how the mood of this season will go. I always hate the wake up call loss cliche but these guys were getting a bit on the cocky side recently. But if they get back at it now Im not upset. In the major realm of being ranked and at large bids... They are teetering. Not one more loss really. Maybe the title game max.

Just now, hurley said:

I fully expect us to absolutely throttle Kent State on Friday.

This is a road bump that is a part of the season. No need to overreact. Good to get this stuff out of the system now. We’ll be back.

Pretty much spot on. MAC season is tough regardless. Gotta always be on. I think we were all hoping for zero bumps but it happened. Ive been wanting this team to get back to playing the machine they were. Killer instinct.

5 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

I know we didn’t shoot well but the refs controlled the tempo of this game by calling all those fouls. I’m not saying they weren’t evenly distributed fouls for both teams but these whistle happy refs kill our style of play and allows NIU to get a shot at the upset. We need to get out of the MAC. 

If your style of play is killed by the refs evenly calling a tight game...then you don't have a sustainable or good style of play.  Sure, UB likes to play faster, but the talent on this team is more than enough to overcome that.  They solidly beat Syracuse who slowed things down with the zone.  They can, and should win games like that, especially in the MAC and especially against NIU.  The UB Bulls shit the bed in this game.  There was no ball movement on offense and everyone was chucking up terrible shots and praying.  They had no hustle or focus on defense, and they turned the ball over like a Reggie coached team.  This loss is 100% on the players in blue and no one else.

The refs might be bad. OK, they are bad - they suck. But Buffalo did nothing tonight to make anyone think or say, “This team is a team that is good. This team belongs in the dance.” They flat out stunk! Couldn’t get stops. Gave the ball away repeatedly throughout the game (17 TOS!). We’re outrebounded. Shot like crap. All that against a mediocre team. This game can serve as a catalyst to turn it around, or as a harbinger of more to come. I think it’s a fifty fifty proposition.

5 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Matt whenever I see you post about UB sports you'd almost have me convinced this is the least fun sports year in UB history! Expectations got to you!

Really though how they react to this over the next 6-8 games is key to how the mood of this season will go. I always hate the wake up call loss cliche but these guys were getting a bit on the cocky side recently. But if they get back at it now Im not upset. In the major realm of being ranked and at large bids... They are teetering. Not one more loss really. Maybe the title game max.

Haha, just being honest.  Listen, this season has been, and I'm confident will continue to be amazing.  But like coach Oats told the team before Syracuse...there are no moral victorys anymore.  All the stuff I said is true.  Their play has been trending downward since Toledo and Miami and a game like this was coming based on that.  They weren't ready to play and it showed.

Also, We can complain about a single game effort and result without chucking out the rest of the season, which I'm doing. I'm not sitting here saying their a bad team or anything, but there is no defending that effort, no matter how blue your glasses are.

Lastly, I hate that football team, so I really didn't enjoy the season.  They have the personality of their coach.  Read: NONE and couldn't handle even a bit of pressure in the worst conference in college football.  

Edited by UBigbobby

The silver lining here is that our loss is hidden in a sea of losses this week in the top 25.  Here’s what we’ve already had so far this week.

10 VT lost by 21

13 UM lost by 13

24 ISU lost by 4

16 AUB lost by 3

22 MSU lost by 21

14 TTU lost by 13

20 MISS down by 28

6 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Pretty much spot on. MAC season is tough regardless. Gotta always be on. I think we were all hoping for zero bumps but it happened. Ive been wanting this team to get back to playing the machine they were. Killer instinct.

Of course, we all knew there would be a loss or two at best...but...this one is rough.  Would have hurt less against a program that had some cache this year.  This loss won't age well.