Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#14 UB @ NIU (1/22 - 8pm ET)

Kevin

4 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

If your style of play is killed by the refs evenly calling a tight game...then you don't have a sustainable or good style of play.  Sure, UB likes to play faster, but the talent on this team is more than enough to overcome that.  They solidly beat Syracuse who slowed things down with the zone.  They can, and should win games like that, especially in the MAC and especially against NIU.  The UB Bulls shit the bed in this game.  There was no ball movement on offense and everyone was chucking up terrible shots and praying.  They had no hustle or focus on defense, and they turned the ball over like a Reggie coached team.  This loss is 100% on the players in blue and no one else.

Kinda funny coming from the guy that blamed it on Lance Leipold just 18 minutes before this.

1 minute ago, hurley said:

The silver lining here is that our loss is hidden in a sea of losses this week in the top 25.  Here’s what we’ve already had so far this week.

10 VT lost by 21

13 UM lost by 13

24 ISU lost by 4

16 AUB lost by 3

22 MSU lost by 21

14 TTU lost by 13

20 MISS down by 28

I hope so.  All of those schools lost to teams better than NIU and come from bigger conferences where the voters are going to much more lenient.  Hell, Duke lost to unranked syracuse at home and fell a grand total of one spot.  

1 minute ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Kinda funny coming from the guy that blamed it on Lance Leipold just 18 minutes before this.

?? What?  I said it was like Leipold was coaching the team based on the way they were playing.  Do you actually think I blamed this basketball loss on the football coach?

1 minute ago, ChubbyHubby said:

No, buy even bringing him into the conversation made no sense.  

met·a·phor
/ˈmedəˌfôr,ˈmedəˌfər/
noun

1. a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
    "her poetry depends on suggestion and metaphor"
    synonyms: figure of speech, figurative expression, image, trope, allegory, parable, analogy, comparison, symbol, emblem, word painting, word picture; 
    literaryconceit
    • a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, especially something abstract.
      "the amounts of money being lost by the company were enough to make it a metaphor for an industry that was teetering"

1 minute ago, UBigbobby said:
met·a·phor
/ˈmedəˌfôr,ˈmedəˌfər/
noun

1. a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.
    "her poetry depends on suggestion and metaphor"
    synonyms: figure of speech, figurative expression, image, trope, allegory, parable, analogy, comparison, symbol, emblem, word painting, word picture; 
    literaryconceit
    • a thing regarded as representative or symbolic of something else, especially something abstract.
      "the amounts of money being lost by the company were enough to make it a metaphor for an industry that was teetering"

Why are you suddenly the most active poster on the board tonight, enjoying the loss?

NIU Kenpom is 128 we lost on a buzzer beater on the road. Meanwhile TTU scored a mere 45 points tonight and dropped its third in a row.

Auburn lost to a 10-8, although good, South Carolina team.

Maryland game against MSU was closer to a blowout than a close game.

VT got waxed, but has a chance to get a good Home W this weekend against Cuse.

Ole Miss and Miss St look like garbage.

Handle business Friday we’re still well within top 25. First things first let clean things up.

3 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

Yes, obviously I hate UB.  I was actually a mole for Ohio all those years ago when we were in the student section together.  I play the long game.

Lol I didn’t say that you weren’t a fan. Just curious why you’re suddenly here tonight to argue with everyone 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, rma said:

If anybody is burning their tickets (of this HUGE, TERRIBLE 2 point loss on the road) please PM me the codes so that I can list them on stubhub and donate the profits to the basketball excellence fund.

Hopefully it doesn't turn away the locals, who love jumping on and off bandwagons. If they can bounce back with a win on Friday against a tough opponent, the place should be packed against BSU. This is a critical stretch of games, with 5 out of 7 on the road (including tonight). This team is the best team in the league and needs to get back to playing a full 40 minutes, not just a few incredible stretches. We're no longer in 1st place in the MAC, so that should take a tiny amount of pressure off the team, although it could bring more onto them, considering their ranking. One game at a time and Friday's is a huge pendulum swinger for the rest of the season.

1 minute ago, Jeseph said:

Lol I didn’t say that you weren’t a fan. Just curious why you’re suddenly here tonight to argue with everyone 🤷🏻‍♂️

We all process loss in different ways Jeseph.  I like to be able to vent with other fans and then move on.  Also, I didn't pick a fight with anyone.  Derek basically called me negative and I laughed and agreed.  I only disagreed respectfully with one poster who I felt was blaming the refs too much.  Said poster did not take my respectful disagreement well and brought up a metaphorical comment about the way the team was playing being akin to the way Lance Leipold (who I dislike) coaches because he or she apparently did not understand it.

2 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Hopefully it doesn't turn away the locals, who love jumping on and off bandwagons. If they can bounce back with a win on Friday against a tough opponent, the place should be packed against BSU. This is a critical stretch of games, with 5 out of 7 on the road (including tonight). This team is the best team in the league and needs to get back to playing a full 40 minutes, not just a few incredible stretches. We're no longer in 1st place in the MAC, so that should take a tiny amount of pressure off the team, although it could bring more onto them, considering their ranking. One game at a time and Friday's is a huge pendulum swinger for the rest of the season.

Honestly, I don't think it will.  The game was on ESPN+ so no one watched it.  It will get 5 seconds on the 11 o'clock news and that's it.

Just now, Jeseph said:

Ok this game was garbage, a horrible loss. I’m ready to move on.

Gotta use it against Kent. I’d have to imagine the team is even more pissed about this loss than we are. Go into that dump of  gym and THROTTLE the flashes.

I work with colleges and universities.  Whenever I talk to a co-worker who has contact with Kent State I tell them that we used to say, Can't Read, Can't Write, Kent State.  They always unanimously agree.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

I work with colleges and universities.  Whenever I talk to a co-worker who has contact with Kent State I tell them that we used to say, Can't Read, Can't Write, Kent State.  They always unanimously agree.

Which says something about Akron, because Kent somehow has a lower acceptance rate than Akron.  Ninety three percent.😳😳

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

The refs are the reason they missed 9 free throws, went 22-60 from the field, and most importantly, the reason for UB's 17 turnovers. 

Dude, UB got outplayed today. Just....stop. Stop crying. 

Who said this is the reason for the loss? That hasn't come out of anyone's mouth. 

The officials were terrible and didn't allow flow of a basketball game. The last basket happened due to 51 fouls being called and UB trying to not foul. 

UB wins this game in OT too, especially with no German. That's the big bummer of this whole fiasco. 

Edited by Kevin

Give credit where credit is due. NIU played fantastic last night. They brought their A game and we brought our C game. That is the reason we lost.

Our offense was terrible last night. All of our guys were driving and forcing shots, which works only when the other team is tired and can't keep up. (Though I do not blame the refs whole heartedly, they were part of the reason that we weren't able to play at our pace.) Where did all these turnovers come from? Why are we forcing passes to covered players? How did our offense become so predictable all of a sudden? We only had 11 assists last night! We average 17 and had 25 against Toledo for our home opener. 

Speaking of offense, how about our defense? Before anyone jumps on the refs bandwagon, there were times where our players were flat footed against German and Thorpe. We are the more athletic team. We have to act like it. And McRea, stop biting the 3 fake from a big man that shoots 3 3-pointers a game. Let him take it. Because if you take the fake that means they have a mismatch going to the basket.

I am not ready to say the sky is falling but the difference between how we normally play and the last 3 games have been worrisome. I would be content with a loss to Kent as long as we play to our normal standard/play. Though if we do, I don't think Kent can hang around.

We will most certainly fall in the rankings, perhaps out.  Teams like UB... people are waiting for a crack in the foundation to say, "See, I knew they were never that good".

Here's the good news.  In the grand scheme of things, this doesn't matter.  Yes, it would have been nice to run through the MAC at 18-0, 30-1 overall and land a top seed (3 - 5), however that was always unlikely as the MAC is a tough conference, especially on the road.  So from here, what's the goal?  1) Learn from this loss.  You can't just show up and beat teams on the road in this conference.  2) Finish 15-3 / 16-2, be in play for an at-large bid and/or win the MAC tournament.  This scenario probably lands us an 8 seed?  Perhaps up to 10?

The sky isn't falling, but it definitely looks dark right now.  I believe in Oats and that he'll do what he needs to to get this team motivated and playing well again.

Go Bulls!

• Like 1

I had a practice to run, so I only saw the highlights and recap afterwards.

I agree in general with the posters who said that a loss has been brewing for a little while.  Their game hasn't been as consistent and sharp the past couple weeks.  I didn't expect they'd get through the whole league schedule unbeaten, not because there were teams they couldn't/shouldn't beat but that they'd naturally run into a game or two where it wasn't working, or the other team was shooting lights out, or they needed a wakeup call.  A game like this was probably always in the cards.  It's only going to be a problem if it happens several times in a row.  We will see how the team responds to this.

I actually don't mind a game at this point that dials down some of the hype, and lets everyone get real.  Presuming they win out most of the rest of their MAC games, as they're capable of, the season will be decided by what they accomplish in March.  It always was.  It's weird to say, but I'm kinda bored with this. It's a weird problem to have - going in assuming they're going to/supposed to throttle the opposition, then being a bit annoyed if it's anything less than that.  The arena hasn't been hopping because (a) the band and students are gone and (b) there's so many fans that just showed up to see them now they're ranked, they're there just to watch.  And that's great in a way, to get more fans and more attention, it's what we always wanted to build up.  I had a great time at Bona.  I saw the result last night, and I wasn't all that annoyed, then realized I wasn't as bothered as I thought I'd be that I have to give my ticket away again next Tuesday.  I know - tough problems to have, 'we're too good and we keep winning' - I've seen the other side, the 5-win seasons, and this is WAY better.  Maybe what I need is a more heated game - that late February home stretch of ohio, Kent, Akron is going to be fun.

I can't help but feel a little like NIU has our number right now, in more than one sport.

I think this is really what we needed. A kick in the gut loss. You can just tell by previous games how complacent the boys have been. They have not been fighting. They haven't had a reason to fight. Well, now they do. The loss affects the team in a huge way, especially whether or not this plays a factor in an at-large bid. 

Someone on this team, needs to step up. As good as Massinburg has been for us, he hasn't been consistent every game. In fact, no one has been consistent this year. Someone needs to rise up and be the leader. We have all of these seniors and we need people to rise to the occasion. 

I kind of stayed away from posting after the game...I think most of us saw this coming with how the games have been the last few times out.  Something was missing.

It is clear that the team has to get back to what they were giving when playing games earlier this season.  It is a long season, though, and it is very tough to do that.  Kudos to those teams that figure out how to gut out a win on the road when playing multiple times a week. 

Forget the fouls, however.  NIU shot 50% from the field...which was their season average.  However, they held us to only 37% -- below our average.  We should have made it up in rebounds and in turnover ratio...where we have a edge.  But...we lost the rebound battle and barely (by 1) won the turnover battle.

So...sub-part shooting night and we didn't win the effort stat of rebounding.  That equals our first conference loss.  It isn't a mystery as to what has to happen on Friday.  

• Like 1

Agree with pretty much everyone here. Here’s to hoping it lights that fire again. We don’t have much time to turn things around. 

I couldn’t really post last night. To see them march right down the court with little to no resistance (like they had done many times already) after cj ties it up was so heartbreaking yet you could feel it coming all night.