Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#14 UB @ Kent (1/25 - 6:30pm ET)

Kevin

Must move on quickly after back to back seasons losing to NIU.

It'll be nice to have them play in Buffalo for once. Not sure how the MAC picks the schedule. It's brutal travel from what I've heard. 

Anyways, on to Kent. They had a nice home OT win against Toledo and are asserting themselves as top a top 3 team. 

• Jeseph pinned this topic
5 hours ago, Jeseph said:

We stayed in the ESPN Power Rankings (#16) and are still 82.7% favorite at Kent - gotta get back on track and string together some wins here!

Very true! They have to get the mentality back from the summer when they knew they would be good if they put the work in. Very difficult to keep an edge when everyone is telling you how good you are. They need that mental edge/sharpness/focus back if they’re going to be the team they know they can be and have been for most of the season. Opportunity has knocked. Now time to respond with a big win Friday. 

It will be awesome if the voters see this just like every other top 25 team, a bad loss, that is a statistical outlier. Odds are against us, but it would be very nice to see us keep solid.

Hopefully this is a serious wake up call. STOP. TURNING. THE. BALL. OVER! For a team that has been awesome at keeping the ball, we have been real sloppy lately, getting that mojo that kills a mid major. I hope Nate is imprinting it into their heads that just because we are ranked doesn't change the fact that in conference play, anyone can lose to anyone. We know each other, so anyone is easier to beat.

Let's have a statement bounce back game. If we can win this impressively, I think the voters will just see the last game as an outlier.

101-66 Buffalo

LET'S DO THIS!! GO BULLS!

Edited by ubmae86

31 minutes ago, ubmae86 said:

It will be awesome if the voters see this just like every other top 25 team, a bad loss, that is a statistical outlier. Odds are against us, but it would be very nice to see us keep solid.

Hopefully this is a serious wake up call. STOP. TURNING. THE. BALL. OVER! For a team that has been awesome at keeping the ball, we have been real sloppy lately, getting that mojo that kills a mid major. I hope Nate is imprinting it into their heads that just because we are ranked doesn't change the fact that in conference play, anyone can lose to anyone. We know each other, so anyone is easier to beat.

Let's have a statement bounce back game. If we can win this impressively, I think the voters will just see the last game as an outlier.

101-66 Buffalo

LET'S DO THIS!! GO BULLS!

That’s a bold prediction haha but I’m not opposed to it. I just think it’ll be closer. I say we win by 8

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2019 at 8:39 AM, ubmae86 said:

I just want to make sure you know this is a validation of my score, not a dig at your prediction 

Trust me no offense taken haha I love the response 

looks like we are 8 point favorites on the road against a good Kent team...scary. They’re going to be good and winning in Kent seems near impossible at times. I’m afraid for the officiating tbh. BG did blow them out of the water in Kent earlier though and then they got smashed but EMU away. I guess they’re beatable but you know they’re out for our blood 

We are now at a bifurcation point for the season (unlike the first loss to an en fuego Howard).  That loss to Marquette was explained away and the Bulls pushed on.

Now...after a few less than stellar (for a top 15 program) performances, with the latest one ending in a defeat, I believe UB can take one of two paths for tonight's game.

Path 1:  The players and the coaches (inwardly...but maybe outwardly) are still lamenting the loss from the other day.  Will they get an at-large bid now?  How far will their ranking drop?  Kent State comes out and kills it tonight, bringing great energy and UB gets down.  Turnovers beget more turnovers for UB and they lose by double digits.  Now we go from one bad game (and one embarrassing play at the end of the game on defense) to a two-game losing streak.

Path 2:  The players and the coaches reset.  Oats' and the team redouble their efforts, especially in the effort areas (rebounding and defense).   UB has a 10+ lead at half-time and wins comfortably.

Yes...this could be a tough, grind-it-out game...but I don't think it will be.  I think it will be either path 1 or path 2.

Oats has said all of the right things "We can control our effort", "Blue collar teams...show up, guard people, rebound,...and don't worry about the articles written about you".  "If we play with more effort, we win".

But lots of people say things...whether they actually believe them to be true and demonstrate them is a totally other story.  We really don't know.   UB isn't playing Marist tonight...they are in Kent (who own a road victory at Vandy).  This is not an ideal game to reset and refocus, but it is what it is.

Go Bulls!

• Like 2