Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#14 UB @ Kent (1/25 - 6:30pm ET)

Kevin

16 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Man, you guys are tough...knocking everything that we do. Based on the comments,  you'd think we were down 30, as opposed to a 1 possession game on the road against a darn good team.

If UB is the team we all hope, a top-25 team, they have no business looking as sloppy as they have for about four games straight now. Kent State is 146 in Kenpom. Good MAC school or not, Buffalo is supposed to be on another level than a team like Kent State (and multiple levels from NIU, etc.) And they should be, because you watch the games, and you can see long stretches of sloppy and lazy play from Buffalo.

It’s not “tough.” Play like a team that would be ranked #14 because right now, they aren’t.

Edited by eanyills
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

*typing furiously on keyboard while drinking a beer and sitting on their couch*

"This team is playing with such low effort"

Submit reply

Alright, I guess I should be thrilled with four minutes of good ball against mediocre competition.

Enjoy your dead board with ten members. I’m out.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, eanyills said:

Alright, I guess I should be thrilled with four minutes of good ball against mediocre competition.

Enjoy your dead board with ten members. I’m out.

I mean they covered the spread set for the #14 team in the nation. People are delusional if they expect easy 20 point wins every game. People are also delusional if they think effort is the only thing to be blamed in a bad performance. You will be missed.

5 minutes ago, eanyills said:

I guess the Tennessee fans  probably figure their team sucks too, since they got taken to OT vs. 150+ ranked Vandy the other day, a "mediocre competition" team that beat them at their place earlier in the year. When Nevada lost to a 150+ team, did they just get considered to suck too? C'mon, these games aren't going to be all one sided. The other team is trying to win too, and these teams are neot nearly as bad as some of you think they are. We're not playing Canisius/Niagara/Marist, the MAC is a very solid league. Is it Big East or ACC? No, but it's not one where you can just expect to go out and rout teams every game. 

This team is good. Can they be better at times, of course, so can Duke, Virginia and everyone else. We have our flaws, but over 40 minutes, I'll gladly take this team versus any other in our league and they can go toe-to-toe with the non-"mediocre competition" in the NCAA.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jeseph said:

I can’t believe I’m going to say it but that was a good Kent team. Still a lot to fix but we’re on the right track. I say we stay ranked.

GO BULLS

I'm not worried about staying ranked this week... I'm worried about staying ranked after only beating Q3 teams for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

Good gutsy win, but some major issues again like the NIU game that will continue to haunt them in the MAC if they don't figure it out.  For very long stretches the offense was languid with no ball movement, and every player just wanting to take on all of Kent.  Lack of imagination and slow.  Very un-UB.  On defense they looked slow and not at all sharp until near the end.  Like they're a step behind.   Let Kent drive the lane repeatedly with little resistance.  

It's frustrating because we all know we're better than this.  I take a lot of flack for holding them to a higher standard, but whatever.  This team has some issues right now that will bite them in the ass if they don't figure them out. Still, good win, and hopefully they are able to reset and show everyone they made it through their funk against BGSU

Good win. Not pretty. But extremely important to get the W. 

Close hard fought game can only help going forward. 

Oats showed a ton of confidence in Segu and Williams down the stretch. Thats important for the team and their confidence. 

11-21 from free throw line is turrible. Getting out rebounded not going to cut it. Have to get the blue collar mojo back on the boards. 

Harris and Graves need to figure out their shooting woes. Harris still a defensive liability. 

Let’s get the next one! Go Bulls!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skrabukes said:

I guess the Tennessee fans  probably figure their team sucks too, since they got taken to OT vs. 150+ ranked Vandy the other day, a "mediocre competition" team that beat them at their place earlier in the year. When Nevada lost to a 150+ team, did they just get considered to suck too? C'mon, these games aren't going to be all one sided. The other team is trying to win too, and these teams are neot nearly as bad as some of you think they are. We're not playing Canisius/Niagara/Marist, the MAC is a very solid league. Is it Big East or ACC? No, but it's not one where you can just expect to go out and rout teams every game. 

This team is good. Can they be better at times, of course, so can Duke, Virginia and everyone else. We have our flaws, but over 40 minutes, I'll gladly take this team versus any other in our league and they can go toe-to-toe with the non-"mediocre competition" in the NCAA.

Yes sure...however you have to admit the last couple games they simple haven't played up to par.  Admitting that doesn't make you a bad fan.

29 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

Yes sure...however you have to admit the last couple games they simple haven't played up to par.  Admitting that doesn't make you a bad fan.

I'm not going to say the games were perfect, missed FT, some poor rebounding at times, less than stellar games from Graves and Harris, but it's a 40 minute game and the guys did more than Kent to get it done. Kent was channeling Markus Howard early in the game, but beyond that, UB  won by 20 or so over the final 33-34 minutes. Winning at Kent State on the road is not a guarantee, for anyone, regardless of whether or not we have a # in front of the team name on the scoreboard. Walker had some sick shots off the dribble that no one was stopping. I just find it degrading to question their effort, because I think that it was pretty strong throughout. Dontay and Davonte were running their behinds off on Walker and whoever their 2nd option was at all times when they were out there. CJ had some beautiful D at times getting hands on the ball. Just because they blow by a guy (only a couple of times over a 40 minute game) who gets caught flat footed or is having an off night doesn't make me think that the team as a whole isn't focused or playing without effort.

Edited by skrabukes

3 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I'm not going to say the games were perfect, missed FT, some poor rebounding at times, less than stellar games from Graves and Harris, but it's a 40 minute game and the guys did more than Kent to get it done. Kent was channeling Markus Howard early in the game, but beyond that, UB  won by 20 or so over the final 33-34 minutes. Winning at Kent State on the road is not a guarantee, for anyone, regardless of whether or not we have a # in front of the team name on the scoreboard. Walker had some sick shots off the dribble that no one was stopping. I just find it degrading to question their effort, because I think that it was pretty strong throughout. Dontay and Davonte were running their behinds off on Walker and whoever their 2nd option was at all times when they were out there. CJ had some beautiful D at times getting hands on the ball. Just because they blow by a guy who gets caught flat footed or is having an off night doesn't make me think that the team as a whole isn't focused or playing without effort.

I thought the defensive effort was slow, poor and unfocused for most of the game.  You can disagree, that's fine.  Neither of us know, because we're not them.  

1 minute ago, UBigbobby said:

I thought the defensive effort was slow, poor and unfocused for most of the game.  You can disagree, that's fine.  Neither of us know, because we're not them.  

I will agree with it in regard to Graves and Harris tonight, they were clearly not on their game, on either end of the floor. The others looked pretty tough out there. Kent made many contested shots throughout, just have to tip the cap when they defend for 29 seconds and Walker makes a fade-away 3 from 26 feet with a hand up on D.