Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#14 UB @ Kent (1/25 - 6:30pm ET)

Kevin

Just now, Jeseph said:

It's such a bizarre situation. You'd think if he was shooting than the shot could count.. would he have let go if he wasn't fouled? How can you "shoot" if the result of the shot doesn't count?

It was a humbling moment where I literally had no idea what was supposed to be done. But yea and the foul definitely came before the time ran out too

3 minutes ago, weareub46 said:

Can you explain this rule to me? I truly didn’t know what should happen. I thought he got 2 shots because he was in the act of shooting so the bonus wouldn’t matter and clearly the ball was still in his hands as the time ran out. What’s the appropriate call for this and why? 

Still should’ve made the 2 FTs though..

Correct!

This is the way it went. He was fouled shooting prior to the half ending. The ball was not released in time, so it would just be like if he missed while being fouled in the act of shooting. This is a normal 2 shot foul. Jordan, shooting 32.1% on the year (less than his 32.4% from three), didn't convert either anyways.

This was for once the right call by the zebras. I thought they were fine in this game (a few ticky tack calls in the 2nd after letting everything go). I mean a massive upgrade to the 50 foul NIU crew which could have had any top 25 team go down. 

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Correct!

This is the way it went. He was fouled shooting prior to the half ending. The ball was not released in time, so it would just be like if he missed while being fouled in the act of shooting. This is a normal 2 shot foul. Jordan, shooting 32.1% on the year (less than his 32.4% from three), didn't convert either anyways.

This was for once the right call by the zebras. I thought they were fine in this game (a few ticky tack calls in the 2nd after letting everything go). I mean a massive upgrade to the 50 foul NIU crew which could have had any top 25 team go down. 

hmm ok so the foul occurred during a shooting motion so it's a shot but the hand on the ball makes it a missed attempt. that makes sense

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Correct!

Yes, best officiated MAC game for the season thus far, in my opinion.

The way I saw it, the foul occurred with 0.2 on the clock, thus stopping the clock. The fact that the shot actually took place after the buzzer went should be moot, since the foul should stop the clock. That's why I feel it should be a basket plus one shot. If he was fouled and the shot (was considered to have take place after the buzzer) didn't count, wouldn't it be 1-and-1 foul shooting, instead of 2 shots? I am quite flummoxed by this one and I am not sure if there are specific examples that are referenced to in the rule book regarding a play like this. I don't grasp the "The ball was not released in time, so it would just be like if he missed while being fouled in the act of shooting", because the clock should stop once the foul takes place, therefore there should be time on the clock.

Thankfully the boys put a nice 2nd half together and the point was moot, but I am still in disagreement with the call at this time.

• Jeseph unpinned this topic
3 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Yes, best officiated MAC game for the season thus far, in my opinion.

The way I saw it, the foul occurred with 0.2 on the clock, thus stopping the clock. The fact that the shot actually took place after the buzzer went should be moot, since the foul should stop the clock. That's why I feel it should be a basket plus one shot. If he was fouled and the shot (was considered to have take place after the buzzer) didn't count, wouldn't it be 1-and-1 foul shooting, instead of 2 shots? I am quite flummoxed by this one and I am not sure if there are specific examples that are referenced to in the rule book regarding a play like this. I don't grasp the "The ball was not released in time, so it would just be like if he missed while being fouled in the act of shooting", because the clock should stop once the foul takes place, therefore there should be time on the clock.

Thankfully the boys put a nice 2nd half together and the point was moot, but I am still in disagreement with the call at this time.

The problem is that the ball was released in time because they put 0.2 seconds back on the clock.  He was fouled in the air, so he was taking the shot.  It should have been a good basket and one shot.  However, if they say he was fouled before the shot it should have been 1 and 1 since it was on the  9th foul of  the half for Kent State, the double bonus goes into effect with the 10th foul of the half.

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

The problem is that the ball was released in time because they put 0.2 seconds back on the clock.  He was fouled in the air, so he was taking the shot.  It should have been a good basket and one shot.  However, if they say he was fouled before the shot it should have been 1 and 1 since it was on the  9th foul of  the half for Kent State, the double bonus goes into effect with the 10th foul of the half.

He was fouled in the act of shooting while there was still time remaining. Therefore it was a two shot foul (not a 1 and 1), as all fouls in the act of shooting are called. Time in the half had expired before the ball left his hands, so the basket did not count. The basket never counts, if the ball hasn’t left the shooter’s hand(s) when time expires. The only question is does the clock stop at the point of the foul or at the point of the shot: The refs clearly judged that the clock stopped after the foul - and Oats said it was a proper call. Are the refs and Oats both wrong? I don’t know.

6 hours ago, squire17 said:

He was fouled in the act of shooting while there was still time remaining. Therefore it was a two shot foul (not a 1 and 1), as all fouls in the act of shooting are called. Time in the half had expired before the ball left his hands, so the basket did not count. The basket never counts, if the ball hasn’t left the shooter’s hand(s) when time expires. The only question is does the clock stop at the point of the foul or at the point of the shot: The refs clearly judged that the clock stopped after the foul - and Oats said it was a proper call. Are the refs and Oats both wrong? I don’t know.

If the shot left his hand after the buzzer why was 0.2 put back on the clock?

If 0.2 seconds were put back on the clock, then the replay must have shown that the whistle (foul) happened then. So the clock stops at the moment of the whistle.

I had thought that there was no time left in the half after Jordan missed both foul shots. Stopping the clock at the moment of the foul makes more sense.

Edited by squire17

If the clock stops at the foul, then Jordan got the shot off.  How can you put time on the clock but say no basket because time ran out but there this much time left.... Something was missed here.  No way that was the right call.  Kinda funny that Oats was trying to get the guys to run off the floor ASAP.  He was too busy trying to steal a basket then make the argument he should of been making.

• Like 1

Opposite scenario. Jordan full steam ahead releases a high arcing tear drop shot in the lane, ball leaving his hand right before the buzzer. His momentum has him crash into an awaiting Kent defender outside the arch, feet planted.  Shot before, offensive foul after the buzzer. What now? Shot count? No foul? Just to raise the stakes the Kent defender bounced his head and is concussed.

51 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

If the clock stops at the foul, then Jordan got the shot off.  How can you put time on the clock but say no basket because time ran out but there this much time left.... Something was missed here.  No way that was the right call.  Kinda funny that Oats was trying to get the guys to run off the floor ASAP.  He was too busy trying to steal a basket then make the argument he should of been making.

I agree with you, Millennium: If the clock stops at the foul, then Jordan did get the shot off.

When does the clock run? 

The clock runs whenever the ball is in play. The clock is stopped whenever the ball goes out of bounds, a foul is called, free throws are being shot, and during time outs. When the ball is inbound, the clock starts once a player touches the ball.

I just checked the play by play of th game. There was 0.1 second put back on the clock. The basket should have counted. You can’t say that the foul stopped the clock (which the rule clearly states) and also maintain that the shot didn’t get off in time.