Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Raymond Hawkins

trueblue32

I feel like an up and coming, talented, really good mid major is a better case than a mediocre power 5 school. Arkansas and DePaul are a real head scratcher of choices. Arizona State is understandable to an extent, but, I think Hurley at Arizona State has been overrated. The least you can say is, Nate Oats has done way more with less than most of the schools of his choice.

As the saying goes, "go where you are needed the most". Who needs him the most? I'd say we do. And he would be getting high minutes right off the bat as we have very bleak forward depth after this season. I just think he would come in and be an immediate impact.

I hope Hawkins takes notice that we are a program that appeals to players who want to play at a fast pace and have a lot of freedom on the offensive end, as well as playing good defense.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I feel like an up and coming, talented, really good mid major is a better case than a mediocre power 5 school. Arkansas and DePaul are a real head scratcher of choices. Arizona State is understandable to an extent, but, I think Hurley at Arizona State has been overrated. The least you can say is, Nate Oats has done way more with less than most of the schools of his choice.

As the saying goes, "go where you are needed the most". Who needs him the most? I'd say we do. And he would be getting high minutes right off the bat as we have very bleak forward depth after this season. I just think he would come in and be an immediate impact.

I hope Hawkins takes notice that we are a program that appeals to players who want to play at a fast pace and have a lot of freedom on the offensive end, as well as playing good defense.

Totally agree and I’ll add this...P5 schools are always looking for better players. So he could go to Arkansas but that won’t stop the coaches there from recruiting the next big that plays the same position but was higher rated. Whereas with us we have to recruit from a position of need rather than greed.

Here's a  little more from this young man.

Sounds like he would be a great addition.

As for permissible/impermissible contact may I suggest a pinned copy of the dos and dont's at the top of our two main pages here at UBFan? With our basketball program providing so much energy it is more important now than ever as more and more alums, fans, etc. support the program. The last thing we want is anything but a totally clean program.

Good work here by Nate and Bryan.

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I didn't even notice the "University of Buffalo".......yeah I'm fine with him choosing a different school. :classic_tongue:

Ha I know you're kidding, but he'd be the exception to the rule if he actually said "at" rather than "of." I think I've maybe seen one or two recruits tops that have gotten the school's name correct in posts like this. 

I'll give him even more of a pass for listing us first on both the graphic and the note. Subtle hint perhaps? 

4 minutes ago, MDBullsfan89 said:

Ha I know you're kidding, but he'd be the exception to the rule if he actually said "at" rather than "of." I think I've maybe seen one or two recruits tops that have gotten the school's name correct in posts like this. 

I'll give him even more of a pass for listing us first on both the graphic and the note. Subtle hint perhaps? 

I actually think it means a lot. 18-year-olds rank this stuff by nature. I think its a good sign.

7 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I actually think it means a lot. 18-year-olds rank this stuff by nature. I think its a good sign.

Yeah, definitely hoping it does. Also just noticed the Arizona State offer isn't listed on his Verbal Commits page. That probably doesn't mean anything but I thought it was interesting.

35 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Dug a little deep for this one, Arkansas who appeared to be our biggest competition for Hawkins has offered Tre Mitchell. Depends on where you look but he’s listed as a 4 star/ 5 star PF/C. Maybe they’re backing off of Hawkins? 

68695065-EAF4-4AC5-975D-01E63D4E2ACD.jpeg

This is what P5 schools do. They are always looking for better talent. Then hedge their bets. And in cases where they land both they usually play the higher recruit. Which is why if Hawkins wants growth and playing time his best bet is us bc Arkansas is always going to be looking for better. Even if that better is someone in 2020. P5 schools recruit from a position of greed and we have to be more strategic with our offers.

Use Arkansas as an example...they have no Junior or Senior centers on their roster. A 4 star sophomore center and a 2 star center returning next season. 5 returning power forwards. 2 of which are 3 star or better. They have 3 current offers out to centers including Hawkins. The other two are rated higher. Point is it’s easier for Hawkins to go there and get buried on the depth chart whereas here he could have more impact sooner. Especially since most of our future bigs are Jucos. 

Edited by DooleyBull06

On 2/22/2019 at 3:42 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

This is what P5 schools do. They are always looking for better talent. Then hedge their bets. And in cases where they land both they usually play the higher recruit. Which is why if Hawkins wants growth and playing time his best bet is us bc Arkansas is always going to be looking for better. Even if that better is someone in 2020. P5 schools recruit from a position of greed and we have to be more strategic with our offers.

Use Arkansas as an example...they have no Junior or Senior centers on their roster. A 4 star sophomore center and a 2 star center returning next season. 5 returning power forwards. 2 of which are 3 star or better. They have 3 current offers out to centers including Hawkins. The other two are rated higher. Point is it’s easier for Hawkins to go there and get buried on the depth chart whereas here he could have more impact sooner. Especially since most of our future bigs are Jucos. 

To add to this, we were in the running to the end for a few quality big men that ended up committing to more well known schools. Checking in on where they are now:

Carlos Curry - has not played yet this season for Ole Miss

Laquill Hardnett - has not played yet this season for Cincinnati 

Anthony Higgs - has not played yet this season for Illinois 

These weren't cherry picked, they were just the three I recalled us going after last year. Meanwhile, Williams and Segu as true freshmen are averaging 10 minutes a piece on a loaded top 25 squad & contributing meaningful minutes. I know where I'd rather be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BasketBull said:

To add to this, we were in the running to the end for a few quality big men that ended up committing to more well known schools. Checking in on where they are now:

Carlos Curry - has not played yet this season for Ole Miss

Laquill Hardnett - has not played yet this season for Cincinnati 

Anthony Higgs - has not played yet this season for Illinois 

These weren't cherry picked, they were just the three I recalled us going after last year. Meanwhile, Williams and Segu as true freshmen are averaging 10 minutes a piece on a loaded top 25 squad & contributing meaningful minutes. I know where I'd rather be. 

Well said. I remember Hardnett's Jersey revel at halftime of his HS game, the day after he had visited UB. 

Edited by Kevin

Just perusing Verbal Commits- one thing we have in our favor is that none of our competitors have a scholarship to give. Miss St and Arkansas are already over-signed for next year, and DePaul at the limit (13). Arizona St appears to have a spot but Mickey Mitchell is incorrectly listed as a senior on the site. Obviously in the era of the "transfer epidemic" this may not hold, but if Hawkins is hoping for a 3/30 commit we may be the only school on his final list with a committable offer.

That said, stranger things have happened. Last year Anthony Higgs chose Illinois after not including them in his final 3 schools under consideration. He sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and just the type of big that would work well in our system- very mobile, pretty fluid, runs the floor.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeseph said:

Thank you for uncovering this and posting. This. Is. Awesome! Raymond Hawkins is the type of person you root for in life. I will always be a fan regardless of the path he chooses. His attitude is outstanding, exactly the type of person and player Nate has been recruiting. He would fit here like a glove. What a pleasure it would be to root for him for four years at Alumni Arena!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UB85 said:

Thank you for uncovering this and posting. This. Is. Awesome! Raymond Hawkins is the type of person you root for in life. I will always be a fan regardless of the path he chooses. His attitude is outstanding, exactly the type of person and player Nate has been recruiting. He would fit here like a glove. What a pleasure it would be to root for him for four years at Alumni Arena!

Is there any tape on this player out there to look at????? Go Bulls!!!!!