Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Raymond Hawkins

trueblue32

He would be a machine. A really athletic big who can do it all. 

He would start day 1 I think. That has to be appealing when he's deciding. 

UB is still offering a lot of people for their two openings, I still think they are banking on a transfer, 

I'd be pretty shocked if he started from day 1. I can't imagine we start more than one true big and I feel Andre Allen probably gets that spot fairly easily. I'm also not sure based on the highlights that I watched that Hawkins is in the shape necessary to play starter minutes right away. That said he'd still be a good get and would get key bench minutes right away I think.

21 hours ago, ubmae86 said:

There's some good schools on his list, but I think ours is top 3. Would love to see him come in especially since we are going to start looking thin under the basket next year.

I mean Nevada and Mississippi State are on there, those are higher landing spots than UB, but we are closing the gap. 

Edited by Kevin

10 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

I'd be pretty shocked if he started from day 1. I can't imagine we start more than one true big and I feel Andre Allen probably gets that spot fairly easily. I'm also not sure based on the highlights that I watched that Hawkins is in the shape necessary to play starter minutes right away. That said he'd still be a good get and would get key bench minutes right away I think.

Talking to Andre himself, the team said they viewed him as a true 4. A replacement to Harris who Oats has said should really be a 2 but the team is playing as a 4. 

I personally think losing 5 seniors the team will go a bit bigger next year with Allen at the 4, but it depends if they score a guy like Hawkins. 

Just asking Bryan about Hawkins, he said he could be a true replacement for Perkins and is further along than Nick was as a senior in HS. 

I could also see us losing a transfer like Fagan or Brock as the team still has out 4 active scholarship offers for guys they want to attend, so I'm not sure how that works. 

R. Hawkins (HS)

T. Williams (HS)

R. Agee (HS)

Q. Jackson (JUCO)

T. Sherman (JUCO)

all five offers are still out according to the team. 

Edited by Kevin

1 hour ago, fosterclogfear said:

I don’t see Bertram transferring following this year, as he’s already used a redshirt. It’s doubtful he could graduate after three years to be able to grad-transfer. Unless, of course, he transfers to a lower level. 

I would think after losing some close friends (CJ is like his best one) he could transfer to maybe D2 closer to home? Not sure. As a third-year player, he just doesn't have what it takes for this level. Its always possible to turn it on, but I'm always skeptical of that after 4 years of college next season

14 hours ago, ubbulls08 said:

I'm waiting for Brock to get chiseled. Perk turned a corner once he hit the weightroom hard core.

But Brock might just be a role player who gets better as a JR or SR. 

What Brock has to offer, I think we have already witnessed. He's now had 3 years to develop. I'm not certain he has the ability to play at the tempo of Oats' offensive pace. And often, he looks lost on the defensive end. 

44 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

What Brock has to offer, I think we have already witnessed. He's now had 3 years to develop. I'm not certain he has the ability to play at the tempo of Oats' offensive pace. And often, he looks lost on the defensive end. 

For those interested, go back and watch Bertram's tape from HS.  He was a big body with (seemingly) soft hands and just bullied his way since he was so much bigger than others.  He seemed to have more confidence back then.

At the D1 level, especially in the teams UB has been playing (and the fact that the MAC is better than 2/3rds of the conferences), Bertram just hasn't developed the quickness necessary for a big man.  I mean, he could develop a niche like the Big Dog at Akron did a few years ago (he got the ball and bullied his way in the paint).  I just don't see Betram having that quickness to do this at this level.  Maybe he'll develop some aspect of his game (on either offense or defense) that will allow him to see the court more in the future.

So...I mean...if he is in love with basketball and wants to play more, he can transfer to a less-competitive program.  But I doubt it.  I mean, the guy is a college student and will get a degree and move on in life with that degree.  He isn't playing pro ball, so why would he leave Buffalo?  He gets to part of a fantastic team, gets to play some when they need him and can provide some veteran leadership off the bench, in the locker room, etc.

I may be wrong, but I think the coaching staff is looking for Fagan to move forward next year.  Of course, they really haven't played him much...but that's because other guys are ahead of him.   Maybe he does look elsewhere, but there will be a bunch of minutes available next year, so it is an open situation for him.  I mean, when five guys that play meaningful minutes graduate, there are a lot of minutes to fill.

• Like 2

I don't think Fagan is going anywhere.  Here's why...if he transfers he has to sit out a season, losing his junior year (unless he has the ability to redshirt???).  If he doesn't redshirt it leaves him with one season of eligibility.  Is it worth it at that point?  Or should he stay and hope to grow and fight for a role next season and beyond.  When, like UB92 said, there will be opportunity next season. I think his best option is to stay.  

As for Hawkins...love the height and size.  He has some major offers out there and we are jumping in a bit late so hopefully we can make an impression.  Lets get him. 

• Like 1

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Tark-Classic-Available-2019-recruit-Raymond-Hawkins-emerges-126733567/Amp/

Interesting article from late December about Hawkins recruitment. Sounds like Arkansas is the leader despite not offering a scholarship yet. Which to me is a clear indication that they (Arkansas) like him but are still hoping for a better player.  Keeping their options open. Meanwhile we want him and are ready to pounce.

He mentions DePaul and St. John’s as heavily recruiting him as well.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, 961819 said:

He has offers from Nevada, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Colorado State, Colorado, UNLV, St. John’s and Kansas State just to name a few. He would be a huge pickup 

Exactly. I can't speak to how big of a get Hawkins would be. Would be a great addition to an already talented class. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:59 AM, UB92 said:

For those interested, go back and watch Bertram's tape from HS.  He was a big body with (seemingly) soft hands and just bullied his way since he was so much bigger than others.  He seemed to have more confidence back then.

At the D1 level, especially in the teams UB has been playing (and the fact that the MAC is better than 2/3rds of the conferences), Bertram just hasn't developed the quickness necessary for a big man.  I mean, he could develop a niche like the Big Dog at Akron did a few years ago (he got the ball and bullied his way in the paint).  I just don't see Betram having that quickness to do this at this level.  Maybe he'll develop some aspect of his game (on either offense or defense) that will allow him to see the court more in the future.

So...I mean...if he is in love with basketball and wants to play more, he can transfer to a less-competitive program.  But I doubt it.  I mean, the guy is a college student and will get a degree and move on in life with that degree.  He isn't playing pro ball, so why would he leave Buffalo?  He gets to part of a fantastic team, gets to play some when they need him and can provide some veteran leadership off the bench, in the locker room, etc.

I may be wrong, but I think the coaching staff is looking for Fagan to move forward next year.  Of course, they really haven't played him much...but that's because other guys are ahead of him.   Maybe he does look elsewhere, but there will be a bunch of minutes available next year, so it is an open situation for him.  I mean, when five guys that play meaningful minutes graduate, there are a lot of minutes to fill.

Do agree about Bertram. Does not appear to have the quickness and overall athletic ability to play the style Of Nate’s offense and defense. Will not be surprised if he transfers to another school to complete his education and be able to get a chance to play. Falange does appear to have the athletic ability to play in our style but not sure why he is not getting some playing time. Johnson has been getting some minutes before Bertram and Fagan which is a little puzzling. Go Bulls!!!!    

13 hours ago, John said:

Do agree about Bertram. Does not appear to have the quickness and overall athletic ability to play the style Of Nate’s offense and defense. Will not be surprised if he transfers to another school to complete his education and be able to get a chance to play. Falange does appear to have the athletic ability to play in our style but not sure why he is not getting some playing time. Johnson has been getting some minutes before Bertram and Fagan which is a little puzzling. Go Bulls!!!!    

Sorry for the misspelled word. Fagan does appear to have the athletic ability to play our style. I need a proof reader or better spell check!! Go Bulls!!!

Just wanted to update this thread. All of the responses to this tweet are Arkansas fans telling him to come to Arkansas. If you have a Twitter, take a quick second to give him some love. Could help push Buffalo to the top of his list if we help him feel wanted here 

0A0EC371-BE83-458C-828C-2572409EA111.jpeg

2 hours ago, 961819 said:

Just wanted to update this thread. All of the responses to this tweet are Arkansas fans telling him to come to Arkansas. If you have a Twitter, take a quick second to give him some love. Could help push Buffalo to the top of his list if we help him feel wanted here 

0A0EC371-BE83-458C-828C-2572409EA111.jpeg

Good stuff, hope we make the cut. This also indicates that his ultimate decision won’t happen anytime soon. Perhaps he cuts his list to 5 then 3 and takes a few visits.

Edited by DooleyBull06

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Good stuff, hope we make the cut. This also indicates that he ultimate decision won’t happen anytime soon. Perhaps he cuts his list to 5 then 3 and takes a few visits.

Exactly. Every response from Buffalo fans he gets could make a small difference in helping him feel welcomed and comfortable here which could sway his decision. I could be wrong but I think recruits are allowed 5 full paid official visits so if we make the list that would be big 

3 hours ago, 961819 said:

Exactly. Every response from Buffalo fans he gets could make a small difference in helping him feel welcomed and comfortable here which could sway his decision. I could be wrong but I think recruits are allowed 5 full paid official visits so if we make the list that would be big 

I just posted on his Twitter, but it looks like I'm the only Buffalo posting. Come on guys and girls! He'd be an amazing addition!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ubmae86 said:

I just posted on his Twitter, but it looks like I'm the only Buffalo posting. Come on guys and girls! He'd be an amazing addition!

He seems to only respond if you respond to his tweets themselves, either way though let show some of that Buffalo friendliness