Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Raymond Hawkins

trueblue32

18 hours ago, John said:

Is there any tape on this player out there to look at????? Go Bulls!!!!!

There are some YouTube videos but nowhere near as much as Segu had. He’s mobile, strong, runs the floor, and provides a solid, bully-ball defense in the post that we will be losing when Perkins graduates.

Plus various news articles make him sound like a wonderful person off the court 

48 minutes ago, 961819 said:

There are some YouTube videos but nowhere near as much as Segu had. He’s mobile, strong, runs the floor, and provides a solid, bully-ball defense in the post that we will be losing when Perkins graduates.

Plus various news articles make him sound like a wonderful person off the court 

How are his videos on his offensive ability? Sounds like he has his head on straight. Go Bulls!!!!!

On 3/1/2019 at 4:03 PM, McBulls said:

Just perusing Verbal Commits- one thing we have in our favor is that none of our competitors have a scholarship to give. Miss St and Arkansas are already over-signed for next year, and DePaul at the limit (13). Arizona St appears to have a spot but Mickey Mitchell is incorrectly listed as a senior on the site. Obviously in the era of the "transfer epidemic" this may not hold, but if Hawkins is hoping for a 3/30 commit we may be the only school on his final list with a committable offer.

That said, stranger things have happened. Last year Anthony Higgs chose Illinois after not including them in his final 3 schools under consideration. He sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and just the type of big that would work well in our system- very mobile, pretty fluid, runs the floor.

ASU gets another commit. 

VC doesn’t even have ASU listed for him anymore. Could be down to 4?

28 minutes ago, Kevin said:

ASU gets another commit. 

VC doesn’t even have ASU listed for him anymore. Could be down to 4?

Could very well be the case. I saw an article on that guy in the picture you posted, he’s a 4 star, his younger brother is a 5 star (7th overall player in the 2020 class) who is likely headed to ASU, both combo guards. But in the article it said ASU is likely to receive a verbal commit from Jalen Graham, a standout 4 star center. 

Hawkins is a great player, would be stoked to have him at UB. I doubt he likes seeing ASU suddenly offer a 5 star center and another very talented 4 star center. You can only have so many big men on the floor at a time 

6 hours ago, John said:

How are his videos on his offensive ability? Sounds like he has his head on straight. Go Bulls!!!!!

A lot of dunking, skyhooks, your typical back-to-the-rim center with spin moves to get around the defender to the rim. Didn’t see any jump shots in his replays so he either doesn’t take them, doesn’t make them, or both but that can be developed (think Javon McCrae senior year, Yassin Ibidhi, Mitchell Watt, etc)

6 hours ago, 961819 said:

A lot of dunking, skyhooks, your typical back-to-the-rim center with spin moves to get around the defender to the rim. Didn’t see any jump shots in his replays so he either doesn’t take them, doesn’t make them, or both but that can be developed (think Javon McCrae senior year, Yassin Ibidhi, Mitchell Watt, etc)

Idbihi and Watt developed a pretty good touch from outside. Javon hit one three in his career and if my memory isn’t too shabby I think that was on senior night. And if he can dominate inside on defense and offense rebounding and such an outside shot is a nice bonus.  

How abour anymore recruiting news on him? Any word on his Arizona state visit? Any other news? It has been pretty quiet for a while now. 

8 hours ago, 961819 said:

Could very well be the case. I saw an article on that guy in the picture you posted, he’s a 4 star, his younger brother is a 5 star (7th overall player in the 2020 class) who is likely headed to ASU, both combo guards. But in the article it said ASU is likely to receive a verbal commit from Jalen Graham, a standout 4 star center. 

Hawkins is a great player, would be stoked to have him at UB. I doubt he likes seeing ASU suddenly offer a 5 star center and another very talented 4 star center. You can only have so many big men on the floor at a time 

I think it’s pretty much coming down to us and Arkansas. I have a strong feeling we might land him. It’s just a gut feeling. But I think this is best opportunity bc all the other P6 schools will bury him in the depth chart

I saw that ASU was an unofficial visit while ours and Arkansas' are officials. Searching the Verbal Commits Twitter account I don't see him ever even receiving an offer from ASU. I'd assume it's down to us and Arkansas. Hopefully he picks us but Arkansas' last 3 starting C have been all-SEC caliber with Portis in the NBA still and Gafford projected as a lottery pick. Based on his YouTube videos his build and skill-set remind me more of Perkins than either of those two though. Hopefully we land him but I can't blame him if he picks Arkansas.

12 hours ago, UB85 said:

Idbihi and Watt developed a pretty good touch from outside. Javon hit one three in his career and if my memory isn’t too shabby I think that was on senior night. And if he can dominate inside on defense and offense rebounding and such an outside shot is a nice bonus.  

How abour anymore recruiting news on him? Any word on his Arizona state visit? Any other news? It has been pretty quiet for a while now. 

Javon hit one three, yes, but by his senior year he developed a pretty nice mid range jump shot. 

I haven’t heard much but his twitter activity seems to have taken a more pro-UB shift. Arkansas fans are still responding to his tweets and he’s stopped showing them attention but has retweeted a few buffalo fan tweets

3 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

I saw that ASU was an unofficial visit while ours and Arkansas' are officials. Searching the Verbal Commits Twitter account I don't see him ever even receiving an offer from ASU. I'd assume it's down to us and Arkansas. Hopefully he picks us but Arkansas' last 3 starting C have been all-SEC caliber with Portis in the NBA still and Gafford projected as a lottery pick. Based on his YouTube videos his build and skill-set remind me more of Perkins than either of those two though. Hopefully we land him but I can't blame him if he picks Arkansas.

The problem is Arkansas is already -1 in scholarships. Hawkins would be -2. They wouldn't be able to sign him until they get notice of people leaving, even with Gafford gone.  They also just offered a guard a few days ago too. 

ASU never offered him and are over scholarships too. 

Though it does seem to be between Arkansas and Buffalo

Sort of a random update but just picked my sibling up from the airport, her flight in from Las Vegas had Hawkins on it. He laughed when he felt how cold out it was then started nodding and walking to his ride.

My point though since we knew he was coming, is that he looks much taller than 6’9. I’d say he’s more 6’11 bordering the 7 foot area. Looked a little skinny, would need to do some bulking up but pretty much every freshman not named Zion Williamson comes in needing to hit the weight room.

Go Bulls

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 961819 said:

Sort of a random update but just picked my sibling up from the airport, her flight in from Las Vegas had Hawkins on it. He laughed when he felt how cold out it was then started nodding and walking to his ride.

My point though since we knew he was coming, is that he looks much taller than 6’9. I’d say he’s more 6’11 bordering the 7 foot area. Looked a little skinny, would need to do some bulking up but pretty much every freshman not named Zion Williamson comes in needing to hit the weight room.

Go Bulls

I mean, he is listed at 220. Which isn't bad for his listed height of about 6'9"-6'10", if he is ~230 by fall, I would be pleased.

Perkins made the most significant transformation that I can remember. Being 225-230 by the end of the Miami NCAA tourney game as a freshy. And by next fall was ~260 and a greek god. Maybe the same could happen with Raymond. 

Hawkins Instagram full of videos from their day trip to Niagara Falls (wearing a UB jacket) flashing horns up, joking about the snow. Seems like they're having a fun weekend.

We shouldn't underestimate the pull that Rondo and Jeenathan have, as popular social media star and big time AAU circuit/west coast prep, respectively. They were chopping it up with Hawkins and Williams a bunch after the game. Could lead to some recruiting coups in coming years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

Does Hawkins have family in western NY? Legit question. One thing I know if he commits, he’ll be part of the UB basketball fam for life. Go Bulls!

Nope they’re all from Oakland, California 

If you check his twitter, for someone who hasn’t committed yet, his retweets are very very Pro- UB. I’d find it shocking if he doesn’t committ to Buffalo because of all these positive signs he shares on social media. But who knows. It’s not official until it’s official. Hoping for the best.

3 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

If you check his twitter, for someone who hasn’t committed yet, his retweets are very very Pro- UB. I’d find it shocking if he doesn’t committ to Buffalo because of all these positive signs he shares on social media. But who knows. It’s not official until it’s official. Hoping for the best.

Also, it looks like he had a really good time here on his visit. I'm not certain if he visited any other schools yet as it wasn't showing on any websites. But, from the looks of it, we may be the favorite.

Would love to top off this class with one more touted HS recruit.  Two freshman a year and the rest JUCO and transfers is a perfect recipe for consistency and growth.  Love transfers because they get to practice and learn a system for a year.  I do agree Oats and company keep one upping themselves year after year.  Hawkins, will love it here.  Did we mention coach has snowmobiles and a boat.  Just saying.  

2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Also, it looks like he had a really good time here on his visit. I'm not certain if he visited any other schools yet as it wasn't showing on any websites. But, from the looks of it, we may be the favorite.

I believe he visited Arizona State a couple weeks ago, but I am unsure if it was an official visit

1 hour ago, FilzenFor3 said:

I believe he visited Arizona State a couple weeks ago, but I am unsure if it was an official visit

That’s the weird thing. It was an unofficial visit and I’m not seeing anywhere that he’s even gotten an offer from them, so maybe he just wanted to visit their campus. I’m not really sure how it works but I’m almost positive you can’t verbal commit your way into a team that hasn’t officially offered you 

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

That’s the weird thing. It was an unofficial visit and I’m not seeing anywhere that he’s even gotten an offer from them, so maybe he just wanted to visit their campus. I’m not really sure how it works but I’m almost positive you can’t verbal commit your way into a team that hasn’t officially offered you 

He did pick them as a final 5.

They dont have a scholarship to offer, I can't imagine him passing on UB/Arkansas because Hurley might make room. 

I think he commits to someone with a scholarship in the next week or two.