Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ball State @ #18 UB (1/29 - 7:00pm ET)

Jeseph

Hey, that was fun.  There was a lot more energy in the building with the students and the band back.  Everything just felt more fun to be a part of, the college basketball atmosphere was back in force.  UB shot terribly early, and couldn't buy a three, and shot only 50 percent from the line; but Ball State was continually down double digits because they were worse.  Another game where we had to keep reminding ourselves "but we're winning!" even though we were griping about how they can play much better.  I felt like they didn't get position to rebound as well as they could and that allowed Ball State too many second chances.  But again, they won by over 20, so there.  The game broke open halfway through the second half with several dunks in a row, I wondered then if Ball State was just done.  The Bulls did a great job tonight driving to the hoop.

Perkins - fumbled the ball a lot, didn't really take many shots, hit a late three to avoid being shut out
CJ - another one of his 'quiet' games where he gets double-digits and it feels like you didn't notice it
Dontay - an all-around great game.  Hit his layups, was his usual buzzsaw on defense, a joy to watch today
Williams - followed up with a monster put-back dunk early
Harris - cold shooting
Jordan - overshadowed by Caruthers was a very good day for Davonta.  Hit a three early (their only for a long time), drove well to the net.  Nice to see after some games when he wasn't as good as he can be.

Ball State - losing Moses early probably hurt.  But that's not a very good team.  Persons was horrible.  He looks like a guy who asked the program, "if I donated $25 million, what kind of perks would you give me?" and they answered "heck, we'll put you on the team!  Want to play point guard?"

Glad to see so many people made it out tonight.

Edited by enrique14150

Unrelated topic but anyone watch the game on Espn3 and notice it’s hard to hear the crowd at all after a momentous dunk or run by UB? I know that it had to be loud in the arena after those dunks tonight but watching the broadcast it seems like they are playing in a library and all you hear is the announcers. Can’t they turn up the mic to get the crowd noise in? Anyone else notice this?

Edited by MKBullsfan

7 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

bull_trojan has even more combinations to track.

Unrelated to Dom, but I might track the number of games each player wears the same sneakers.  I feel like most players are on their 3rd or 4th pair of the season already.  Seems fun, but excessive...

I did the math on the # of combinations of 5 you can get with 11, it was 400 something, and I forgot the formula. So I can't update, but yea we continue to get new ones.. Oats is a madddd scientist 

My thoughts on the game.  I took a lot of flack from some people for questioning the defensive effort, focus and tenacity vs NIU and Kent.  Please, objectively look at those games and compare them to last night and tell me they were on the same level.  They just weren't.  Vs. NIU and Kent they were slow, and fairly weak on the ball.  Last night was a return to that UB punch them in the mouth mentality and play that Oats preaches.  Their defense was on another level.  I was reading the BSU board and their fans were complaining how on offense they would have to work and work and work against UB for 28 seconds just to then have to put up a CONTESTED shot, because UB's D was just to good. That simply was NOT happening the NIU and Kent game.  That tenacity returned on D last night.

When you're playing such tight, high energy, tough defense, a team with the talent of UB can have a bad shooting night and still blow teams out.  As an example, Harris was OFF last night off offense. He was throwing up bricks.  However, he had 8...EIGHT rebounds in the first half alone.  UB dominated the glass, especially the offensive glass.

If UB can continue to keep the heat turned up on defense as they did last night, they will be able to weather bad shooting nights and if they combine that with a good shooting night, they'll run teams out of the goddamn gym.

• Like 4

I love Nate Oats.

In the postgame interview peck asked him where this one ranked as far as complete wins and without hesitation he goes "uh, pretty low. It was ugly we couldn't make a shot, we shot 50% from the line...”

Wins obviously matter but he expects more from this team.

i also agree with @UBigbobby if we defend like that there’s not a team in the conference that can hang with us!

• Like 1

My only two take aways from this game are:

1) Free throw shooting has been awful and is now becoming mental. Just look at Jordan shooting an air ball from the line. I know he’s not a good foul shooter but at least draw some iron. FT shooting can and will cost games come March. We need to be better. At least 75% not 50%.

2) 3 point shooting was bad. I’m not panicking about it however. You assume we will be better and eventually the shots will fall. Glad to see us score and win big despite the bad outside shooting. That’s a positive. And just imagine if the 3s fall at a slightly higher rate...dangerous.

Other than that we cut down the turnovers, out rebounded them, our defense did not let up and our hustle on loose balls even up big late was great. 

Friday’s game against BGSU is for first place so we better be ready to rebound. I expect a loud hostile environment so it won’t be easy. Has the makings of a physical get knocked down get back up kinda game.

13 hours ago, rma said:

I see it as more of a positive.  Roads are shit, we're probably just short of a travel ban, and yet we can still get a good crowd in the building.

I agree. And I don’t quite understand the snark in the original post. Many of those empty seats belong to folks who drop up to $1000 over the cost of the season tickets to watch our boys play ball. And most of those seats are occupied when the all you hear in the student section is ‘crickets’. 

First let me say, GREAT JOB STUDENTS!  You came out in full force on a night that wasn't fit for an eskimo.  The public attendance was a bit better than I expected for said night. 

Dooley mentioned poor free throw shooting would cost us a game.  It already cost us one against NIU.  As far as Harris having a bad night... his shooting was definitely off.  He had about a 2 minute stretch in the second half where he had 2 assists on alley-oops and a baseline drive - dunk that was quite impressive.  Carruthers, all I can say is WOW, great game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubfan75 said:

I agree. And I don’t quite understand the snark in the original post. Many of those empty seats belong to folks who drop up to $1000 over the cost of the season tickets to watch our boys play ball. And most of those seats are occupied when the all you hear in the student section is ‘crickets’. 

at #18 out of 351, we're in the top 5% of college basketball, that's like being the #2 team in the NFL or NHL. If we had the #2 team in the NFL or NHL with a big home game, the first in home game in a while, and a snowstorm, I think the narrative would be about a bunch of fans who are not going to let anything stand in their way of supporting their team.

Sadly, I think the fervor over a top 25 team is underwhelming in general, although understandable that some diehards just couldn't or didnt want to risk it. I'm still just like how did we not sell 4600 season tickets and ensure every game this year was sold out? For a D1 OG, the promise of the support we'd get when we got good did not materialize, and I think a lot of people's thoughts are "just be good longer and then the support will show up" which personally I get, but I don't buy...

• Like 1

The ratio between how much celebration we do when we earn an "and 1" and how many times we actually make the "and 1" free throw is like 1000:1

Seinfeld would say: "you know how to earn the 'and 1' , you just don't know how to *make* the 'and 1' and that's really the most important part of the 'and 1' the making.

Edited by bull_trojan

2 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

Sadly, I think the fervor over a top 25 team is underwhelming in general, although understandable that some diehards just couldn't or didnt want to risk it. I'm still just like how did we not sell 4600 season tickets and ensure every game this year was sold out? For a D1 OG, the promise of the support we'd get when we got good did not materialize, and I think a lot of people's thoughts are "just be good longer and then the support will show up" which personally I get, but I don't buy...

c'mon now, the support IS materializing.  we've had buzz for less than one year, and it looks like we're on track for record attendance. multiple, 'normal' games with 6000+, without an extraordinary push to get people in the seats.  unheard of.  in the late 90s, it felt like there were about 300 people per game in the stands.  

Edited by ed

1 hour ago, bull_trojan said:

The ratio between how much celebration we do when we earn an "and 1" and how many times we actually make the "and 1" free throw is like 1000:1

Seinfeld would say: "you know how to earn the 'and 1' , you just don't know how to *make* the 'and 1' and that's really the most important part of the 'and 1' the making.

I cheer more that we're 20% closer to having somebody on the other team foul out than for the shot.  Last night the fouls were more important than the shots.

56 minutes ago, ed said:

c'mon now, the support IS materializing.  we've had buzz for less than one year, and it looks like we're on track for record attendance. multiple, 'normal' games with 6000+, without an extraordinary push to get people in the seats.  unheard of.  in the late 90s, it felt like there were about 300 people per game in the stands.  

Somebody from the university archives tweeted a picture of a MBB game ~30 years ago.  It looked like what today's attendance of a mid day weekday women's basketball game in a blizzard would be like.  And I don't mean that as a dig at the WBB team - quite the opposite.

6 hours ago, rma said:

I cheer more that we're 20% closer to having somebody on the other team foul out than for the shot.  Last night the fouls were more important than the shots.

Somebody from the university archives tweeted a picture of a MBB game ~30 years ago.  It looked like what today's attendance of a mid day weekday women's basketball game in a blizzard would be like.  And I don't mean that as a dig at the WBB team - quite the opposite.

15 hours ago, Jeseph said:

I love Nate Oats.

In the postgame interview peck asked him where this one ranked as far as complete wins and without hesitation he goes "uh, pretty low. It was ugly we couldn't make a shot, we shot 50% from the line...”

Wins obviously matter but he expects more from this team.

i also agree with @UBigbobby if we defend like that there’s not a team in the conference that can hang with us!

Edited by Kevin

9 hours ago, ed said:

I get it. That said I don't think it's irrational to expect a top 25 team that has been good for 4 years, to sell out their season.

People in front and behind me are older alumni who struggle walking up the steps to get to their seats. I am content with them not showing up for the game when the weather outside is terrible. Safety first. We will have more home games this season. 

I have friends in NYC who barely watched games as a student, sending me pictures of them tuning in. Some guys in Houston as well. Loving the buzz we are getting 

18 hours ago, Kevin said:

All the stats are nice to talk about after the game. Shooting 50% from the foul line will not cut it in a close game or if other parts of our game are not on. Our family agreed that we have not seen a game where the majority of shots were drives to the basket that was probably the result of us not being able to make outside shots. Just a very strange game. Perkins looked totally out of sync and when  he did shoot they were forced shots. Do agree that the one constant and sets us apart from the other MAC teams is our defense.The same defensive intensity and better overall shooting will result in another win.We were happy with the crowd considering all the weather forecasts for days before the game. With 1,500+ students a game I think we will have a good shot at sellouts for the remaining games. Go Bulls!!!!!

• Jeseph unpinned this topic