Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#18 UB @ Bowling Green (2/1 - 8:00pm ET)

Jeseph

TV Coverage: CBSSN

This one has been shaping up as THE matchup since the start of MAC play. Each team has had their "slip up" loss but with the win over Ball State UB sits in sole possession of first place.

Looking at BGSU's schedule and results I think they're a solid team that got hot for a streak of MAC games. They have some size/rebounding that will challenge us but without being cocky (hi lurking BG fans) I think we're still a step above this team. If we come out and defend like we did against Ball State and a few more shots fall I think we can win this one pretty handily and cement ourselves as the class of the conference.

UB wins by 10 and gets things rolling in the last full month of regular season basketball.

GO BULLS

• Like 1

• Jeseph pinned this topic

The key to this game is going to be rebounding and limiting 2nd chance possessions. Wiggins has been a beast on the glass this season. BG has some talented players so in no way am I underestimating them at home on national tv. Gonna be a tough road matchup and environment. I could see a nail bitter along the lines of last weeks road games. 

Big game though...and in big games big players make big plays. So expect CJ to do his thing. Hopefully Perkins and Harris bounce back. Our guard play has been stellar the last two wins. Let’s  win and build a nice lead on 1st place in the MAC east. Go Bulls!

With as good as Wiggins has been this year (leading the nation in rebounding) we need a lot more from Perkins/McRae. They were non-existent yesterday. I really think teams will start to foul us more, like NIU/MIA so that's something to watch in this game. 

16 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

Biggest MAC game yet. Been waiting for this one for what seems like forever. Would have been fun if BGSU came in without the loss but honestly all the same. We need to handle Falcons here to really get the confidence going again.

Has UB left yet for Bowling Green?? Are they taking bus or plane?? I think it takes 6 hours by bus?? Hope they are able to leave early enough so it won’t affect them mentally or physically!! Go Bulls!!!!

BG coming off a bye and had a week to recover. Even with that rest, I can see them being gassed in the last 35 minutes if we are able to play at our tempo. (Let's hope the refs aren't trigger happy)

BG isn't really deep with the most minutes to their top 3 guys. I guess it depends what defense shows up to see how they handle Turner. Is it the defense against Kent (Walker - 21 points) or Ball State (Persons - 6 points)?

Either way, should be a good game. Not sure what BG's crowd will be like but I am expecting the place to be rocking.

Yea this is a big one. I have an event to go to and I’ll prob just catch the second half but I really hope we continue our defensive momentum from ball st. I’ve been hearing a lot of announcers lately say that “defense travels”. We do what we can defensively and hit some more shots and we should be able to take this one. We can’t discount BG though and this could very well come down to FTs so hopefully we get it together 

I say UB wins by 8

Edited by weareub46

Keys to winning this game are:

Not turning the ball over

Forcing turnovers

Strong on the boards, rebound the ball

Make your free throws

I think if UB buckles down and stays disciplined in at least 3 of these areas, then I expect them to win. The offense is going to be there, that isn't the issue, but, they have got to find a way to accomplish 3/4 of these keys. This is going to be one entertaining game.

Just looking at the BGSU schedule. Damn if there was an easy ride in the MAC this year, they got it.  (I suppose if there was a year we wanted the toughest route this was it, so no complaints there).  They very well may end up the 2 seed in result.  Which may send a combination of EMU, Toledo, NIU to our side of the bracket.  You gotta beat them all regardless I suppose.

Just read the ESPN Preview and rolled my eyes at a statement that BG head coach Michael Huger said in regards to his loss against Miami (OH).

"It's hard when you get on a 10-game winning streak to sustain that intensity that you have to play with," Bowling Green head coach Michael Huger said after the loss to Miami. "We are taking team's best shots."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/preview?gameId=401088407

Take a step back now, I am pretty sure you aren't getting every team's best shot. That luxury is for the only ranked team in the MAC

P.S. Wow, once you are ranked I can see where arrogance starts kicking in.

16 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

Just read the ESPN Preview and rolled my eyes at a statement that BG head coach Michael Huger said in regards to his loss against Miami (OH).

"It's hard when you get on a 10-game winning streak to sustain that intensity that you have to play with," Bowling Green head coach Michael Huger said after the loss to Miami. "We are taking team's best shots."

Take a step back now, I am pretty sure you aren't getting every team's best shot. That luxury is for the only ranked team in the MAC

You dropped your bedazzled baby shaker, let me pick that up for you.  Make sure mommy boils it before you get it back. 

totally felt the same way after reading that quote.  No MAC coaches or teams were impressed/intimidated with their quick start.  They understand the grind.  Coach speak sometimes just comes off as dumb.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BullsFan14 said:

Yeah...that's funny and coach-speak.  He is trying to pump up his players.

This is going to be a game won/lost on the boards, in my opinion.  If UB can keep it close on the boards (within a few), we'll have a good shot of winning this game.  If we are off by 10...then we really need to be shooting lights out and have a strong turnover ratio.

I'd like to see UB have a strong shooting night.  Otherwise, you have to rely upon strong defense, getting turnovers and rebounds...on the road.

Should be an interesting game.  I hope Oats has his guys play with a chip on their shoulder.  Heck...that quote up there (in bold) is grade-A locker room material for UB.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Yeah...that's funny and coach-speak.  He is trying to pump up his players.

This is going to be a game won/lost on the boards, in my opinion.  If UB can keep it close on the boards (within a few), we'll have a good shot of winning this game.  If we are off by 10...then we really need to be shooting lights out and have a strong turnover ratio.

I'd like to see UB have a strong shooting night.  Otherwise, you have to rely upon strong defense, getting turnovers and rebounds...on the road.

Should be an interesting game.  I hope Oats has his guys play with a chip on their shoulder.  Heck...that quote up there (in bold) is grade-A locker room material for UB.

If we come out chucking bricks then it will be a long night. UB is underperforming shooting-wise. If we just make shots like we are capable of, we'll blow their doors off.

6 hours ago, BullsFan14 said:

I don’t have any problem with this quote. I can’t speak to “taking team’s best shots” because haven’t seen their games. But I agree with the intensity part. I think that has plagued UB too.